Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefly is kicking ass

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

CA$70 (approx €40) for the R1 version. Not bad. Does www.playusa.com give free delivery to Ireland?

Amazon.com have it for $35 (€27) + delivery.

Play.com deliver free to Ireland.

Due for Region 2 release, 19th of April.

Not getting the dvds myself because I've never seen the tv show so don't know what it's like, but if am going to be on the lookout for anyone I know who has the dvds so I can watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Bringing a dead thread back to life :)

Just finished watching the series, got the dvd a while back, and was most impressed. But very annoyed at the same time. How did this get cancelled?

Can't wait for the film, hopefully it'll tie up some of the loose ends.

I would go on and on about how this got cancelled while Andromeda and Mutant X seem to have endless appeal, but they were recently cancelled. No great loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

another believer! welcome, friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Just ordered the DVD myself now, as I have the first 6 episodes here on the PC, and I was honestly blown away by the show. There's some fantastic detail in there, it's a very imaginative show altogether, despite the fact that I find some of the more 'Western' aspects kind of forced. But I soon got used to that, and the whole world of Firefly started to blend together very well altogether. One little detail that I absolutely loved was the fact that for the spacial shots, we never actually heard any 'space ship' sounds at all, which I don't think I can remember seeing in any other sci-fi at all. Brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just FYI:

The Mini-Series 'Farscape - The Peacekeeper Wars' airs on SciFi-US in October.

Oh and Andromeda has one more season left (5) btw on SciFi.

You should have put that announcement in a new thread.

I really have to post again, as this is such an awesome show altogether!

My DVD boxset arrived on Thursday, and I watched it all (Including the extras) that very day.

But ****ing hell, talk about missed potential altogether! It does really bug me that the show was cancelled with so many plot threads up in the air, such as
    what went on with River, and those mysterious men in blue gloves, and what exactly is the deal with Shepard Book? It was certainly eluded to that there was a hell of a lot more to him that meets the eye, yet at the same time, he seems a very decent guy.
    Though I'm certainly glad that there's a movie in production now, and according to an interview with Alan Tudyk (Wash) in SFX, it should clear up a lot about aforementioned unresolved plot threads, and apparently we'll finally see those canabalistic Reavers in the flesh!

Speaking of which, did anyone else think that the Reavers were built up quite masterfully altogether? That scene in the pilot where the crew had to stay their course while passing a reaver ship, because as Mal puts it, if we flee, they'll chase. Honestly, that whole sequence was one of the most tense things I've seen in quite a while!

I'm seriously in awe of how much I'm enjoying Firefly altogether, especially with it being a Joss Whedon creation. And as you gathered from that sentence, I wasn't particularly a fan of Mr. Whedon at all prior to this. In fact, while there was some of Buffy that I enjoyed at parts, I'd certainly say on the whole I disliked it, especially annoying characters like Xander and Cordelia (Not to mention many, many others), some downright terrible dialogue, and whole series plots at times (Glory was just plain bad). And Angel wasn't much better. But with that in mind, I simply cannot find any major faults with Firefly whatsoever! The characters are just so well written altogether, and the dialogue is certainly far superior to anything Whedon has done before, not to mention some of the snappiest one-liners there are; Such as when
    Niska captured and tortured Mal and Wash, and Zoe goes to buy back their freedom, but only gets Wash and Mal's ear as chance. Then when she gets back and reveals the ear, saying don't worry, we'll get him back, and Jayne goes "What are we gonna do, CLONE HIM!?" :D
    Or "A Ship like this would be with you untill the day you die." "That's because it's a deathtrap!"

I also can't mention enough just how great the characters are. Kaylee is quite refreshing altogether simply because of the fact that she's a mechanic, yet there's no sickeningly clichéd feminist spoutings. Jayne aswell, despite being such a one-liner machine not seen since Bruce Campbell in Army Of Darkness, he's got far more depth than that altogether, like
    where he turned in Simon and River to the Alliance, that whole episode revealed a far more complex character altogether with very interesting motives altogether, and I actually didn't expect him to betray them at all, oddly enough.

Just an amazing series altogether.
    And did anyone else think that the episode 'Out Of Gas' was near cinematic perfection!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CbrPaddy

Yup, best show ever in my opinion. I like sci-fi books, but think most tv shows are rubbish and I thought this was just another, so I ignored it til I just happened to see ten minutes of it one day and realised it was something much different - no stupid humanoid aliens with knobbly heads, no sounds in space, fantastic characters, great snappy scripts that can be hilariously funny at times, proper adult relationships, etc. Sure it has some flaws, but overall it's easily the best of them all. I bought the dvd and am totally disgusted that it's been cancelled. There's just no fairness.

• Advertisement

Aye, I know what you mean, the fact that there's no aliens whatsoever make it a very refreshing show altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smartcard

My frustration that this show was cancelled is indescribable. I hope against hope that something new springs from the movie. I've heard rumours that they may make a trilogy, but apparently a trilogy movie deal means there definately won't be more tv episodes. But does that mean if there was only one movie and it did well they might start shooting the show again?? It's killin me! :mad:

As far as I know it's definetly a 3-movie deal, but the bad news is that apparently Fox put some kind of clause in the contract that they couldn't reprise the series for another 5 years. :/

I can probably try find out more details on that, but don't expect the series to be ressurected too soon.

Damn it straight t'hell, although 3 movies is better than... well, better than 1.
    I think I'll keep my eye on the Universal website over the next few months.
    Thanks for the update Hungus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

I got the DVD box set recently and cannot believe that a series of this quality got cancelled after only one series. Bizarre. :confused:

The title of the movie is going to be Serenity btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well TV executives have a tendency to cancel great shows and leave tripe like Andromeda and Mutant-X running. Odyssey 5, B5: Crusade, Firefly all got cancelled by them.

Betcha the BSG series will recieve rave reviews and get canned after the first season. :p

I got the DVD box set recently and cannot believe that a series of this quality got cancelled after only one series. Bizarre. :confused:

It didn't get cancelled after 1 series, it got cancelled before they even had a chance to finish 1 series. And to add insult to injury, crap like Enterprise and Andromeda just keep going! WHY!? :confused:

Thankfully it seems that shows CAN be successfully ressurrected by fans and on the back of good DVD sales, what with Family Guy starting a new series, Farscape getting the new miniseries, and of course, the firefly trilogy!

Anyone remember Earth 2? Got cancelled after one season and Sliders kept going. Travesty. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It is a sickening insult Enterprise was let continue in a world where Firefly got screwed over, despite the light years between them in every department. If I start thinking about all the great shows that cancelled prematurely at one season - Nowhere Man, American Gothic, Space: Above & Beyond, Dark Skies - I'll start getting very very angry. Ah crap too late :o

I thought Nowhere Man was fairly mediocre tbh, seemed to be just a cash in on The Fugitive as far as I recall.

But yeah, I agree with you, everything good, especially good Sci-Fi, has been cancelled. But with that in mind, it just boggles my mind just to think WHO is keeping crap like Relic Hunter, Mutant X, Andromeda, and so much other rubbish on the screen? Honest, who watches that crap!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

I'm sure you've all seen this, but I thought I'd post it just in case.

Serenity

Go to the Blogs and scroll down for some pics from the movie.

Blogs are quite funny too. :)

They just recently finished principal photography.

Finally got round to watching this. 14/15 episodes watched, just have Objects in Space to go. What a great show, has so much potential .The humour in it is clever and witty, the action is sharp and riveting and the violence comes so unexpectedly it makes you jump and go "oh ****". Like when
    Captain Reynolds gets his ear cut off or when he's talking away to Jayne then suddenly knocks Jayne out with a wrench

I think Ariel has to be the standout episode of the series, even though there's hardly a bad episode there.

I found a little something for fans: http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=6204

Trust me, you'll be happy and want to buy me drinks for finding it.

And glad you enjoyed it, Stark!

Cheers Karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Thanks Karl!

* starts practising cantonese swearwords *

Very poor quality unfortunately. I wonder if there'll be an offical trailer posted to the website soon. Probably not, the premiere of the trailer in the cinemas in January 20th I think.

Still, at this stage, it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Finished watching it last week, best tv series ever, even though it didnt make it past one series.

Jesus Stark tell me you have seen Firefly by now. Or at least forked out for the DVD set?

• Advertisement
Advertisement