Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEKKO'S: i need help!!

Options
  • 03-07-2003 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

hey everyone......i have a quick query about gekko's.

i am thinking of buying one for my art project ( making drawings etc) and i have been told that it will set me back 60 euros.

i was wondering if that was a normal asking price....and also.....can anyone give me the low-down on the maintainence and what is needed for its accomodation?......

any help will be really appreciated........:p

P.S: Can gekkos be real colourful?.....(art wise).....not interested in boring brown colours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

DO NOT get a gekko for an art project!!! :rolleyes:

Get a gekko, IF u want a pet reptile that you want to have a bond with and look after for many years to come!

TBH, it sounds to me like u should buy urself a national geographic video of lizards and use that. Anyone who buys an animal purely for a project is either cruel, ignorant or very very naive.

B

Even IF u do buy one, u would be hard pressed to get a "proper" set up + animal for less than a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Teddi,

Getting a pet can be a big responsibility. I would think long and hard before doing it. Will someone be able to take care of your pet if you're on holiday. Will you have enough time to take care of one. Will you have an interest for it after the art project is done.

Otherwise you may be better off going to the zoo or asking a pet store if they can give you a hand. Pets are living beings not inatimate objects. Reptiles can cost quite a bit aswell sometimes, with equipment, heating gear and so on. It won't cost just 60 euros, you'll need to buy more than just a plastic container and a gekko.

If you're interested in buying one as a pet though, try Reptile Haven in town (Dublin), or the pet store on the Quays whose name i can never remember (someone help me out! :) )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by koneko
    Teddi,

If you're interested in buying one as a pet though, try Reptile Haven in town (Dublin), or the pet store on the Quays whose name i can never remember (someone help me out! :) )

I think you mean Boardwalk pets(Mcelerhons)
    Richie.

But to be totally honest Teddi I dont think you have even thought seriously about buying this Gecko.

And if all you are buying it for is for an art project then I dont think you are responsible enough to own a pet.There are enough abandoned reptiles out there whose previous owners didnt realise the amount of work that goes into keeping one of these animals.
    PLEASE DONT ADD TO THEM.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

Em..........alot of you are having a very negative attitude towards me,in person which didnt answear any of my questions put forward........i own alot of animals and are very caring and considerate when it comes to things like this.......its not like i am going to throw it out after i have done finished using it for my project......its not like i am going to have wires attached to its head or anything!!!!!!

its primarily for my own observation......which alot can be done just by looking into the container.......not even touching it!

i wanted advice how to keep one....not on a lecture how "cruel" i am... as i am extremely caring to animals.......if anyone CAN give me advice on how to keep one properly......please reply and it will be greatly appreciated.....thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Fair enough. But your first post didn't indicate that at all, it only stated you want a gecko for an art project, which you have to admit sounds a bit dodgy.

If you live in Dublin, try contacting those shops I mentioned (thanks Richie! :) ), they should be able to help you out.

Oh, doing a Google search for gecko care sheets aswell. I don't have any links handy but that's a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Teddi,

A good website for gecko info is www.thegeckospot.com Just to let you know leopard geckos can live upto 17 years so its a huge responsibility, think long and hard before you buy one! & as far as I know they prefer to live in pairs, so you would be looking to spend 100+ then you have the tank set up costs another 100-150+ Just think long and hard before you buy - far too many herps are dumped or killed due to a lack of knowledge.

Hope the website helps

Faye
    :)

Advertisement