Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munsters New shirt and crest

• 03-07-2003 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So what do people think of the new shirt and crest? I think the new crest is decent enough. I prefer the old and traditional one though. As for the new shirt i don't really like it all! what do ye think?

do u like the new shirt and crest? 8 votes

Yeah I love the new shirt and crest!
    0% 0 votes
    No i hate the new shirt and crest!
    50% 4 votes
    I like the crest, but not the shirt
    0% 0 votes
    I like the shirt but not the crest
    50% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I'm not from Munster, so I'm not sure what I can say.
    The jersey looks grand - both. But what's the story about the animal on the crest? And what does it have to do with Munster?

Munster%20Rugby%20Strip%20Launch2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'm with PH01 on this. The stag looks really out of place. Not too sure about the stripy jersey either (hopefully the third choice jersey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

To be honest when I heard about the crest changes I was like "the ****ers they can't do that!" But since I've seen I really like it, that stripped one is a bit dodgy though but all in all I like. The deer on the crest is supposed to represent the Red Deer who hung around munster or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i saw i big thing about the origins of the stag on the crest and all that somewhere recently. Dunno if it was here on boards or some place else. if i find it i'll report it back.

[edit]here the bit about why they changed their crest and the history and reason behind it
    from munsterrugby.ie
    The change of crest (designed by Niamh Browne of Limerick based visual communications company Designers Ink) is brought about by the demands of the professional era and the need for sides to generate income in order to finance the running of a professional rugby squad. Chief Executive Garrett Fitzgerald explains, "Munster Rugby are changing their crest to reflect the commercial demands of the market we compete in. Munster will now have their own patented crest whilst still retaining the "three crowns" that have been a fundamental part of our heritage. Patenting it will protect Munster from unauthorised use of the crest".

Unlike others Munster have stuck closely to their original crest, retaining the three crowns but incorporating the image of a stag, an animal associated with Munster folklore as far back as the 11th century. One of the great Munster families, the McCarthy’s who trace their origins back to the the Carthach, the 11th century Prince of Munster, had as their logo a red stag "trippant" (stepping), on a shield of metal grey.

If historically therefore the stag lends itself appropriately to the new Munster crest then the motto associated with the McCarthy crest
    - To the brave and faithful nothing is impossible -
    is particularly apt when one considers the achievements of this Munster squad
    who in the past four seasons have reached two Celtic League finals, and been the Irish flag bearers in European competition against the cream of Heineken Cup opposition reaching the semi final or final in the same period.

ok so the link on the munsterrugby.ie site is down so here is a pic of the crest. I actually think it looks pretty cool. pitty about the new shirts though.

munstercrest.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My god people, have none of you ever been on the Cork - Limerick road, well if you have you must of seen the 18foot stag on the side of the road, it is a statue not a real stag :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i think it looks great. Makes the jersey more modern and its certinaly better than Leinster's Lion!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by D-Generate
    My god people, have none of you ever been on the Cork - Limerick road, well if you have you must of seen the 18foot stag on the side of the road, it is a statue not a real stag :)
    So your saying if Monaghan had a rugby team, that they should have a big old pig on their crest?

Originally posted by Sundy
    i think it looks great. Makes the jersey more modern and its certinaly better than Leinster's Lion!

I was waiting for the Leinster Lion V. the Munster Stag comparison ;) And what is that Lion logo anyway? Kinda 'imperial' isn't it?

And the horns on the stag on the Munster logo look a bit off. I mean they look like thistle leaves. Horns on a real stags head have well defined horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dont think the crest is too bad. At least they kept the three crowns. As for the jersey they have to change something every couple of years to create new demand.

Changing it for copyright reasons wont make them a whole lot mor income anyway. 99% of people who wear a jersey at the games are wearing an official canterbury one. They change the jersey every two years anyway and with the limited number of customers available I cant see their income increasing much from shirt sales.

AFAIK they are not going to be called the Munster Stags. Its just caught on because of the crest change.

• Advertisement

Munster Deer probably;)

AFAIK they are not going to be called the Munster Stags. Its just caught on because of the crest change

that would sound really dodgy if they were called that, and fairly ghey too!!

As regards the jersey i'm sort of getting to the like the new one a bit more but i think the after one is fair dodgy! all that stripeyness going on is too much for me!

Advertisement