Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard style

Options
  • 04-07-2003 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

After years of proudly using the traditional up down left right keys i have succome to the dark side....WASD:ninja:. Its much more convinient now that i do use it and i suggest everyone to try it for a week and see how you do ;). So many keys left to map ;D

What do u use 10 votes

The old stle up.down.left.rite
    0% 0 votes
    Im a Mad l337 u5ing my m4d 4 it WASD
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

WASD is the only way to go. Space for jump, ctrl for crounch, shift for walk and caps for sprint. The greatest setup in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

WASD is vital for comfort in gaming. It doesn't feel right having your hands cramped together, mouse and keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Up = S
    Down = X
    Strafe Left = A
    Strafe Right = D
    Jump = Q
    Duck = E
    Reload/whatever = W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i used to use c, v, b and n for left, forwards, back and right in quake... it all got a bit confusing when they added the crouch button to games...
    i eventually saw the light & moved that litle bit up & to the left.

excact same as feylya these days.

for me they're perfect becase your arms are pretty much straight out from your body, very comfy for long sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I use the cursor keys. But only because I play left handed with the mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I use around 24+ keys for quake3, which is probably a basic amount compaired to the 1337ers
    In general tho :

E - Forward
    D - Back
    S - Left
    F - Right
    Q, A ,W, C, T, MOUSE3 - Weapons
    1,2,3,4,5,6,f1-f4,G,V,C - Voice Commands\Team Orders

Space - Crouch

Mouse 2 - Jump

WASD - just doest give you enuff scan for buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I switched fairely recently cos i needed the extra buttons for UT2.

only difference is i got shift as crouch.
    No need for a walk in that game when crouch does all that..and more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

rdfg is getting popular now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

arrows are the only way to play*

* especially when you're left handed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Been using WASD for years, but I also recently switched to ESDF since i started playing UT2k3, and I need the extra keys surrounding me :)

I hear fatal1ty's designing a keyboard thats gonna rock the pro gaming world WOOO! YEAH!!! CMMON!!!!

and a mouse to go along with it. It'll be made entirely out of bread crumbs, and is gonna be powered by his supersized ego.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kairo
    I hear fatal1ty's designing a keyboard thats gonna rock the pro gaming world WOOO! YEAH!!! CMMON!!!!

and a mouse to go along with it. It'll be made entirely out of bread crumbs, and is gonna be powered by his supersized ego.
    lmao, lets not forget his clothing range:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How can one guy wear so much PINK!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

wasd improved my gaming considerably, its syill crap now even ask bazH, but id be much worse if it wasn't for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

My chubby fingers keep stubbing the wrong key if I use wsad :( It's a shame cos you run out of buttons really fast.

UP - forward
    DOWN - back
    LEFT - left
    RIGHT - right
    ****FT - jump
    CTRL - crouch
    ENTER - use
    BACKSPACE - drop
    DELETE - special
    END - quick weapon (depends on game/class)
    PGDN - quick weapon (depends on game/class)
    KB_INS - reload

After that it's onto funtion keys and mouse buttons. Why would space be a problem with the cursor keys - push the keyboard left a bit noob ;):p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I remember back in the 486 era, you could get this little joystick thing, that pressed on the arrow keys as you moved it. wouldn't work on a wsad setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i've been using WASD now for ages, and i have q and e for jump and crouch. I think i might have to moved a bit more into the middle of the keyboard cuz i need a few more keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

wasd for me too.... did have problems with Jedi Knight 2 though - counldn't bind all the force powers in any usable manner

i just left the controls as the defaults in jkII. 'z' & 'x' to select & 'f' to use, worked alright with me. (pretty crap for multiplayer tho, that's way too frenzied for idly selecting your force power)

for CS (not really sure how many buttons required for other games) i dont find i need anymore keys at all (i use arrows) infact i have about 4 extra convenient buttons(without using any button for 2 uses).... i could move to i-j-k-l being a left hander but arrows you have much more space and control imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i used to use the ould arrow keys, but now i use wsad. i changed for RTCW just for fun. now it just makes sense!

in a game where i dont need to use a open/action key like Quake3 (and even Quake 2 as i rarely use inventory items in that)
    i use wsad, with space for jump and ctrl for crouch, but in HL i use shift and ctrl for jump and duck, space for use, mouse 1 for fire, mouse 2 for alt fire, mouse 3 for reload and mwheel__up and __down for weapon switching, leave auto run on and crouch instead of walking.

Now Thats A Control Set-Up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Numpad 3 - Forwards
    Q - Backwards
    B - Strafe left
    O - Strafe Right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

sounds like devore's swifty.

i use d for forward, spacebar for back, s left, f right, middlemb crouch, rightmb jump. you can do all sort of things at the same time oemg!

i'm looking for a keyboard that lets you use all the buttons at once. i'm sick of this 3 keys at a time malarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The arrows keys make no sense at all to use unless you're left handed and even then the number pad would probably be better.

I'm still a wasd man, but I do see the need to start the drift towards the centre of the keyboard. It'll take me ages to adjust though, I've been using wasd for about 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I use the Arrow keys and a 5 button mouse, never run out of keys? :rolleyes:

For Op:Flashpoint however i use its default setup, because of the two different walk speeds, 3 stance settings and so on. No other game is that detailed that I play (ie BF1942, any Q3 game etc), so I dont plan on changing unless i need to.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I stick to the oldskool arrowkeys. I have big hands, and it's all too easy to push the wrong key when they're all so close together. No problems with movement, and my reach is big enough to get the 6 keys above it, as well as most of the keypad to the right. That's plenty of keys for me... I need to use right mouse for jump, the mousewheel for changing weapons (spinning the mousewheel to bring up the weapon you want becomes quite fast and intuitive with a good mouse) with the middle button for alternate fire or somesuch. Ctrl or the 0/Ins key for crouch, return for use, shift for run/walk...

Personal preference, and depends on the size of your pinkies...

numpad is way too cramped unless you really really really need those 4 or 5 extra buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

heh, for half life tfc, i use arrow keys and have about 90 of the keyboard keys assigned for functions (some acting as dual function, and changing function with each class), along with a 5 button mouse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by amp
    The arrows keys make no sense at all to use unless you're left handed and even then the number pad would probably be better.

I'm still a wasd man, but I do see the need to start the drift towards the centre of the keyboard. It'll take me ages to adjust though, I've been using wasd for about 7 years.

yup same here. If/when/eventualy i make the the move i think it might take me a while to get used to it cuz i've been using them for 5yrs years now! For any game that u use the mouse in i find that i need to use wasd, cuz if u use the arrows keys it just feels all weird and both of yur hands r cramp over at the right side of the keyboard. For games that u don't use the mouse of(tombraider) i use arrows, spacebar, shift and alt cuz if i use wasd i find that my other hand is more or less free and tends to just end up on the mouse cuz of force of habit!:D

Advertisement