Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror Sites ?

Options
  • 04-07-2003 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

One of my sites was down for 24 hrs after an attack on my hosting provider. How do I go about setting up a mirror site at another provider to avoid this happening again ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You could set up a site with another host, instruct neither host to have DNS records for the domain. Then do your DNS with a third party. You will still have a propagation delay tho, if you can change the domain from one IP to another in case of any issue. The only reliable way to do this, is use 2 hosts, and a 3rd host to provide fail-over services.

Host 3 monitors both sites, and if one goes down, sends all requests to the one that is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for the reply - The solution sounds quite complicated and expensive.

What happens if I simply list two more nameservers after the primary and secondary at my domain registrar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Nameservers on different networks and/or different physical locations help, but if you aren't load balancing your site it'll still disappear if your current host goes down.

Steve's solution may not be cheap or viable for you, but it is about the only solution available to you.

Of course you could simply change provider :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If you don't want to spend much money,

Buy cheap hosting on a reliable host and put a splash page on it, giving links to Mirror1 and Mirror2. If mirror1 is down, the person can hit back and go to a different mirror. The sites most all be on different hosts though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Or get a host that will stand up to ddos attacks :)

http://www.sharpnet.net/ would be one of the best resellers out their for the foo network (httpd.net) these guys have proven for years they can stand up to all kinds of attacks.

Worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement