Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 sp3 question

• 04-07-2003 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey guys you might know the answer to this question...

Does Windows 2000 sp3 support harddrives greater than 137 gb (ie 48 bit addressing)???

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

windows 2000/xp will support drives up to a couple of terabytes .. its the fat32 limit thats probably the issue, afaik w2k only allows fat32 partitions up to 32Gb.. so just split your HD up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I think there's a chipset limitation too - hairysammoth was saying something over on the komplett forum. You'll either need an external controler card that supports 48bit addressing or a very new intel chipset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

What maxheadroom said...have that problem here in work.
    To fix it i've ordered a controller card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

A few points -

Service Pack 4 is out now... (i'm downloading it now :) 129 MB on a 56k :() - It's a recommended update and cumulative (don't need the previous packs).

With modern P4 chipsets you won't have any problems. With AMD you probably will (they're working on it)

Look for a piece of "Drive Overlay" or similar software on the manufacturers website to cure the problem (same as the old 512MB problem I used to have on me 386) or...
    If this is not available you will need a controller card with 48bit addressing AND it's own bios (most do nowdays).

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

its the fat32 limit thats probably the issue, afaik w2k only allows fat32 partitions up to 32Gb.. so just split your HD up

I have a 120 GB fat 32 drive in my Win2K system (2 actually:))

but I vaguely remember that a FAT 32 BOOT partition...
    for Win 2000 has to less than/ equal to 32GB
    for 95b/c, 98, ME has to be less than or equal 8GB

tribble

• Advertisement
Advertisement