Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA Advice

• 04-07-2003 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok Guys and Gals,

I'm looking to buy a PDA, I had planned on buying the XDA but the cost of the GPRS on top of my regular Vodafone bill just looked to costly.

So what am I looking for, well to be honest I haven't got much of a clue. I'm working as a helpdesk technician dealing with all I.T. problems so I have good I.T. knowledge. I have a 6310i which I want to be able to use in conjunction with a PDA. I want to be able to send recieve e-mails maybe browse the net but thats not a big issue, contacts, calender etc, plus games and other nice programs.

I like the look of Microsofts Windows Pocket edition but hey it's still microsoft. Although I have noticed there is a large array of programs available to run on it.

Dell AXIM??

So I'd love to hear some advice.

I'm off to do a bit of research myself and I'l start a poll as soon as I have a few options.

Thanks I know the brain power in here will sort me out.

Oh my budget well not over €400 if I can get away with it, but maybe push to €500.

Cheers

What PDA 6 votes

XDA
    0% 0 votes
    XDA II
    50% 3 votes
    IPAQ
    0% 0 votes
    Palm Pilot
    16% 1 vote
    Dell Axim
    33% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

You can use 6310i for GPRS, HSCSD connectivity via Bluetooth on a BT enabled PPC, though you might need to get it updated to the latest firmware. Works a treat.

I imagine it would work with a BT enabled Palm too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

You'll pick up a second hand XDA for €300 to €350 if you hang around here long enough, and if you change to O2 rather than Vodafone, the GPRS costs are much cheaper than O2.

You can buy 10MB per month for about €25.00 from O2. I use that tariff and use my XDA a lot for keeping up with my e-mail on the move and I have yet to exceed 10MB in a month. You can carry over unused traffic month to month as well.

Good battery life from it too, nice screen and pocket pc2002 is quite good. With an SD-Card installed it also doubles up as a pretty good mp3 player.

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Never thought I'd hear myself recommending a DELL but the AXIM is a quite a nifty piece of kit! Available with PocketPC 2003 & optional BT I think. Me Da's doesn't but the IR works well with my 6310i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ya I was looking at the dell, just wondering what exactly can you do with it while connected to the 6310i via IR.

Can you surf the web or is it limited to e-mail, also when connecting the internet can you use GPRS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Ya I was looking at the dell, just wondering what exactly can you do with it while connected to the 6310i via IR.

Web and email on my quick test... was a bit fiddly to set up but this link gave all i needed:
    http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/N6310i_and_PocketPC.pdf

Never actually checked out GPRS, presumably it works too....

Hmmm, just tried out the GPRS and the axim has gone all anti social :confused: refusing to see the 6310i, and the fecker won't sync over USB:rolleyes:...... hopefully nuffin serious!

Also http://www.aximsite.com is worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Poll edited.

Personally I'd go with the IPAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you already have a 6310i then you are sorted for the mobile (telecom) connectivity to the PDA, and for convenience Bluetooth would be the best option for connection

i'd suggest you take nore of the new rake of Pocket PCs comng on stream with the new Pocket PC OS (2003) - more info in this thread

the latest model from HP an iPAQ 2210 is well worth considering - as this will have built in Bluetooth to work with your 6310i for GPRS and HSCSD (High Speed Data) on Vodafone

if you prefer a Palm OS handheld there is supposed to be a new model of Tungsten|T due out soon, which also has integrated Bluetooth

alternatively you could go with a Dell Axim if you really like it and get a Bluetooth CF card to make it Bluetooht Enabled (always found the Socket BT CF card t be reliable on PocketPCs), Dell are due to release wireless integrated Axim(s) later in the year though but only loose dates for the US mentioned

i've used a 6310/6310i with an iPAQ and Palm over Bluetooh for email/surfing/Instant Messaging and it's worked a treat (after a bit fo fighting to get it all connected and happy)

this stuff is usually chatted about in the Wireless forum if you've any more Qs

hth,
    BrianG

Advertisement