Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - Can I overclock?

Options
  • 04-07-2003 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I just purchased (not yet received) a new PC, and I've been doing a bit of reading up on overclocking, but I can't really suss it out!

Here's the specs;

Processor : Intel P4 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB cache
    Mobo : ASUS P4PE - Intel 845PE Motherboard
    RAM: 512MB Corsair XMS PC-2700 DDR SDRAM

So, do you reckon I could overclock this, I've heard alot about 800MHz FSB but nothing about 533MHz. What's the story there? I'm happy enough with what I got but if I can overclock, then why not?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've kinda let me hardware knowledge slip a bit recently. If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

<edit> ha ha just realised my post count is/was 1337 <edit>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

It shouldn't be a problem to overclock with that setup (which I must say is very nice!)
    From what I know of overclocking (which isn't that much BTW) you should be able to reach 3GHz quite comfortably with the stock heatsink and fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Thanks Raz. Now can anyone tell me how easy this is? Is it just a matter of increasing the FSB through the BIOS, or do I have to mess around with voltages and crap? Sorry, I'm new to overclocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The ASUS boards in general have pretty good overclocking abilities. With the Intel chips its a matter of raising the FSB to get a better speed as the multiplier is locked. You shouldnt have to mess with the Vcore voltage unless your going over 3.2ghz (should do this easily). You mite need to update your BIOS .

The only thing that mite catch you is the RAM timings, normally set to same as the FSB (in your case 133MHZ). When your raising your CPU speed your also raising the RAM speed and its normally the first to go. Nice to see you went for PC2700 - you can hit 166MHZ without a prob, any more than that and you will prob have to up the Ram voltage or change the CPU:RAM ratio, ie 4:5.

In my experience with the TwinMos Pc2700 it was able for 175MHZ + without any probs. Its just a matter of trying a number of times and finding a balance - really not that complicated.

It becomes very clear when you try it a couple of times, generally safe enough process.

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't really want to go further than 3.2GHz. In fact I'd be well chuffed with that! So I just gotta increase the FSB and a possible BIOS update, and not tinker with anything else?
    Cheers lads. :)

Yup basic enough!! You dont have to mess with your ram settings at all unless you go over 3.5ghz, so that area is fine. Just as a by the way to hit 3.2Ghz your FSB will have to be set to 153Mhz, whould prob do this without any changes at all, a few stability tests like Prime95 or PC MARK just to make sure everything is perfect.

Enjoy, LOKI

• Advertisement

Alright lads, just wanted to post up my results so far. Do ye reckon this is a good result. Or should I up the FSB to 153MHz. The system seems to be fairly stable but I haven't run prime95 or anything on it yet! What do ye reckon?

CPUID.jpg

3.1Ghz , lookin good!! Id run prime95 thats the only way you will know its totally stable. If prime finds an error then up the Vcore a bit to make it stable. If it is prime stable, hike her up to 3.2Ghz and check again....... Nice work so far :)

Cool... I ran Prime95 for about an hour with no errors, then I ran some benchmark tests on the CPU using SiSoft Sandra. Then I played a few games and had no problems. I think everything's alright!
    I haven't upped it to 3.2 yet, but I will be doing so, am just wondering if you reckon I'd need any extra cooling for this. I haven't checked the temperature yet, but what's a safe bet? 40-50 degrees? Thanks again for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

As long as you havn't upped the vcore the temp should remain close to the normal running temp. 40 - 50 degrees is a safe operating range. If you're in that area you'r fine. If you're up to 60ish then step it down a notch. Aim for a max of 45 at idle and you should be safe.

Prime95 will normally route out an error in the first min if the CPU is unstable. Running it for an hour means your computer is relativly stable but still might have errors. I would advise 6-12hours (after 6 of prime95 with no errors its very unlightly an error will show up in general usage IMO).

Like Raz said aim at below 45' for idle temps and keep it under 60' definetly. AMD systems run hotter than intel ones so if your aproaching them temps i would watch out and prob get better cooling (dont think it will effect you).

If prime95 gives errors when your at 3.1 or 3.2, try upping the Vcore voltage one notch and it should make your system stable. Dont up the Vcore too much and you'll be fine.

Loki

• Advertisement
Advertisement