Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link 504 Question/Problem

• 04-07-2003 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

It's been bugging me for a while now, but it seems that my PCs and router are all been given the name "rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips". I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else? If you do a tracert to your routers IP you'll know...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mixie>tracert 192.168.0.1

Tracing route to rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips [192.168.0.1]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips [192.168.0.1]

Trace complete.

If you don't have this problem (and you have a D-Link 504) could you please reply with any configuration changes you may have made to the defaults? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I've a d-link dsl-300+ and it uses the same name for the router as default alright. I just added a hosts file entry to give it a new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Why didn't I think of that? :)

Thanks MrPink. Now all I have to do is figure out what Samba machine doesn't show up in Network neighbourhood since the change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

On your PC's set the DNS settings to use the ISP's DNS servers directly instead of using the router as a DNS server.
    The DLINK DNS proxy/forwarder must be giving all the internal addresses this name when there are reverse lookups being done.

Thanks bricks, but unfortunately this was one of the first things I tried, and it didn't fix it :(:(:(

Update:

Now fixed (in no small part to Flamegrill). Turns out the problem is Netsource's DNS servers - if you use another DNS server (non-Netsource) it should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement