Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defacers Challenge

• 04-07-2003 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anyone checked thisout yet?

www.defacers-challenge.com

Sunday will not be a day of rest........

:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

There was a post made on the web hosting board, by people used to dealing with such crap :)

here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=160

you got to love it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

This is just stupid. Some script kiddie posts something up, other script kiddies think the other is a God, they all go nuts doing their best, and I think in the end, those stupid enough to take part won't even manage to break anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

/me agrees, despite having no skillz at all

That sort of thinking is the main scource of insecuritys, in this day and age people try to censor hackers calling them script kiddies banning them from irc channels, "security" forums (hehe thats a funny one)

Well in fact they may have a slight or commerical knowladge of unix but cant even try to think out side the box.

I am not sticking up for defacers however one only has to look around, compare the progress of a script kiddie to a so called admin.

You will soon see most of these so called admins have headsets on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

IMHO the real danger doesn't come from skilled people but from those who haven't got a clue.

The defacenet challenge is being hyped up by the media. The same media that hype up a lot of other things that we have seen for a long time, but nobody listened to us about.

The only thing this weekend that makes it any different is that our (in a broad sense) clients are aware of the danger. Normally they don't know what we are protecting (or trying to protect) them from.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by blacknight
    IMHO the real danger doesn't come from skilled people but from those who haven't got a clue.

Yeah but I am sure you will notice 60% of these skilled people where once knocking off servers once with exploits and due to their interest in security they have moved on hitting online security from other angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

The voice of expirience :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont denegrate people who experiment with security breaches. Particularly those who follow the *old* hacker morals of "Do No Harm" and "Explain The Flaw".

Script Kiddies on the other hand (or Kidiots, as I like to call them). Possess only a fraction of the knowledge of a real hacker, sufficent to running a script and pointing it at an ip or range.

When they DO get in they have no interest in learning, exploring or explaining. They want to scrawl "Kevo Was 'ere!" in green crayon on someone's hard work.

They make no political statement, since they have to hack whatever is vulnerable they cant target sites like Nike/Nestle etc...

They learn nothing since the script did it all for them.

They create nothing of value, just cleanup work for the unfortunate webmaster.

They are the tracksuit wearing, fakegold-festooned skangers of the internet and I certainly feel nothing for them but contempt.

Hacker's had (and sometimes still have) a culture to be proud of, unfortunately it became "kewl" but its beyond the capacity of the wannabees.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You know where people pushed the envelope of what any equipment could do in terms of functionality and performance..
    The world wide web being one of the biggest hacks..
    Most of what radio amaturs do is hacking

Unfortunately the positive connotations of the word have been lost forever - no one "hacks" something together anymore - it is always referred to in a destructive way.. "hack into"

The genie is out of the bottle and the mass media won't use the word "cracker" (script kiddies --> cracker nackers ?)

So what is the appropiate single word for old style hacking - in the freedom to improve and innovate sense ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lol @ "Cracker Knackers"

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by DeVore

Script Kiddies on the other hand (or Kidiots, as I like to call them). Possess only a fraction of the knowledge of a real hacker,

I wouldn't even go that far with it Dev. They posess ./ keys and that is it

hehe funny stuff to be honest, its interesting to see other peoples views on such issues, comical sometimes yet interesting.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I don't believe in the bogus arguement of `hacker morals'.
    As far as i'm concerned the groups of people who existed
    years ago are as lame as some groups out today.

If you go to particular security websites and look at the history
    of the group or individuals.
    You will know that they started out the same way as everyone
    else, yet try to tell us that it was different in their days like
    they are your grandad.
    And they had more responsibility but still used nukers and mail bombers, or smurfed someone on IRC..and blah blah.

Expect me to sit and listen to them yapping on about phone
    phreaking, and VMS dinosaur computers, and the whole culture
    of nothing.going out drinking and smoking wacky backy, surely
    they must have achieved loads all those years stoned off their head, aye.

They're all the same, and its not even an issue for any
    serious hacker...just don't care about idiotic religious debates
    on `hacker' culture, morals..its all mediocre crap.
    No one really gives a damn in the end.
    This is my own opinion, just think about that before any of
    you want to jump in and personally attack me because you're
    having a bad day.

There are less prolific hackers with a lot of talent, who don't do the media thing, just get on with it what they enjoy doing.

They don't use fancy words to explain simple concepts to confuse
    potential customers in the ludicrous business of E-security..

I don't agree with web defacements, its a waste of time, whether
    it be making a statement or not, but its much more innocent
    than you think.
    You can imagine someone obtaining access and simply keeping
    their mouth shut for months, that is a more serious issue if you
    ask me, and its pretty widespread I would think too.

I've observed in the past people on systems, they setup programs to collect information, they just sit and wait, visit
    the computer every few days to see whats new in their logs.
    Don't say a word to the administrator, and he's oblivious to
    anything.

Some webmasters should feel lucky a "kidiot" has left their stupid
    little scrawl with a green crayon, whatever.
    Atleast you know whos been in your system, and what
    they've done.
    It'd be more worrying if you didn't know for months
    someone had gained access, and was simply sitting & waiting
    for juicy bits of information to pass them by, information they
    could use to elevate privileges or gain access to other computers
    with more sensitive information.

If these kids are such idiots, what does that say for the competence of the webmaster whos been `hacked'?

Funny how it is acceptable among some `experts' to obtain access to high profile web sites, yet `lame' to do so on one less secure ones.

Also, I find it amusing, that the people release `proof-of-concept' codes, these so called `grey' and `white' hackers..
    The morals go right out the door, its then `look at me'

"Oh, this is just proof of concept, you can use it to _TEST_ your
    system if its vulnerable"

I blame the people who release the scripts in the first place.
    If there were no scripts, the kids wouldn't be getting anywhere.

Initiating sequence..
    Connecting to target...
    Sending shellcode...
    Have a nice day, the shell is on port 234

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Good grief, nothing worthwhile to say and you still took a few hundred words to say it.

This thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement