Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP with all Eircoms DSL packages

• 04-07-2003 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

From ther End of August Eircom Will be Offering Static IP address with all there DSL offerings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

meaning eircom are allowing server's? which means no cap?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ando
    meaning eircom are allowing server's? which means no cap?

No home DSL/Cable service "allows" servers
    it would be mad for them to do such a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

ando
    A fixed IP address does not mean cap removal.
    UTV are offering fixed IP addresses (extra) with cap.

Cabaal
    I checked out the UTV T&C and didn't see any mention of servers (good or bad). I've mailed them to clarify but have yet not had a response.

IMO there doesn't seem to be a lot of point to having a fixed IP address if you can't run any services, beyond perhaps for IP validation on other services???

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I phoned Eircom today and was told static ip addresses only apply to home starter plus and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Radsl

whats the going price for the ip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

DannyD wrote:
    I phoned Eircom today and was told static ip addresses only apply to home starter plus and upwards.
    Why did you phone eircom? Surely you're not planning to pay them more money for less broadband than any other DSL provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Radsl wrote:
    There is no "going price" because you can't "buy" an IP address.

You can pay your ISP an administrative charge for the use of one of their IP addresses, if they are willing to provide that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

You can buy ip addresses from ripe. Public ip ranges aren't free.

Anyway, Does anyone know anything about Eircom's policy ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Radsl wrote:
    UTV don't charge for the free trial, however they charge(d) existing and past customers €5/month. I'll be challenging this on my previous account shortly, and asking for a refund of everything but an initial setup fee. I would suggest other UTV users with static IP addresses do the same. (Been meaning to do this for a year or so, haven't gotten around to it.)

adam

Advertisement