Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone in ROI connected to Clicksilver

Options
  • 04-07-2003 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of a live Clicksilver connection in the ROI. I'm only 2 working weeks into my application. UTV helpline is friendly but unfortunately they are talking of extending the claimed 15 working days for installation out to a month. They say not one person in ROI has been connected yet so I wonder if they being shafted by Eircom, or if they weren't ready for the number of applications?

rgds
    K

-on a 52kbps connection :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's eircom who can't handle the demand. They have to deal with applications from UTV, Esat, Netsource etc while looking after their own customers too.

Guess who gets preferred treatment :f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I got an email yesterday from UTV saying "sorry for the delay" etc.

Coincidentally (?) Eircom rang last night asking was I happy with changing my phone carrier (or something) so I said "Yes, I'm with UTV and waiting to hear back about Broadband" to which she said " Your line is bb enabled.....do you know we offer Broadband?"

Hmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's part of eircoms plan since 98% of the lines in this country are owned by them they can tell the whole country to **** off and we could do nothing about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by PiE
    Guess who gets preferred treatment :f

That would be illegal, and Eircom wouldn't break the law! Or would they? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 levinsk

I wonder if they are obliged by the regulatory body to share resources (in terms of installs) equally across their own and others installations. I would guess that the resellers have at least a penalty clause in their contracts to force some balance.

Incidentally I have a friend who works in comms and subcontracts to Eircom. His analysis of their workmanship is very negative. But he did tell me that there is a number which one can dial, type in a PIN code and it will give your line test results straightaway- he wasn't sure whether the test is instantaneous or is just reading from a database, but if the former is true it makes you wonder about why we need to wait so long for a connection.

rgds
    K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

I got the same email... :( I can't say I am too pleased but I will have to wait like everyone else as there is no way I will be signing up with The Rat.

So UTVi are saying that it will be the end of July?? I do hope its sooner.

Out of interest has anyone recieved their modem yet for those of ye who opted for it?

-Mork

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Mork : I was told by the support team that the modems were not being sent out until a successful test is done on the line. Fair enough I suppose but a bit odd to start processing cheques/credit cards before verifying the service is a available/goods have shipped. Anyone know do eircom charge for testing the lines (it being eircom I assume they do)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

Thanks for the heads-up on the modem front MarVeL.

My line has passed the line check as I knew it would as I called the Rat a few months ago & asked them to check it for me. I figure UTVi must be holding off until the line is activated before sending out the modems as I can imagine people hooking up the modem and then ringing the support line saying it doesn't work.

As far as I know €ircon charge UTVi for testing the line & activating it (no surprise there) hence we the consumer have to cough up the €99.

-Mork

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Got a mail from utv saying the middle to the end of next week. (I signed up on 17th June)

I got the same email too. I think I signed up on the day they announced it (13th June?)

No modem yet though.

• Advertisement

I got that "middle to end of next week" email last week, so I'm hoping to have it by Friday. Hope they send the modems out before Friday too... the thought of having a DSL line going to waste for a whole weekend is stomach churning :]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Got home today trying hard to be cynical and repress the hope that a package from Utv had arrived.

It hadn't. Maybe Malcom meant next week.

amp: broadband by xmas or bust! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

UTV Internet Clicksilver Services
    ===============================
    Dear David,

Unfortunately the prequalification test on your phone line has indicated
    that your phone line does not meet the requirements for broadband
    provisioning.
    Therefore we are unable to process your application for Clicksilver any
    further. The signup fee which has been debited from your account will be
    refunded.

We are sorry that your application for clicksilver broadband has not been
    successful.You can continue to use your UTVip account which will operate
    as normal.

Thank you,
    UTV Internet Clicksilver Services
    +
    ===========

This was a phone line about 1/2km away from the exhange in Dun Laoghaire after weeks and weeks of waiting. I was told that all preliminary tests had passed in that time.. Oh well, going to try Irish WISP wireless instead

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

think utv need to get serious about this.i for one have had to chase them as i recieved no notification whatsoever.just emailed admin@u.tv to find out whats goin on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 christ

so has anyone actually connected to clicksilver yet, or received the modem, or even received any further notification from utv? i certainly haven't

I got a phone call this morning from someone saying they were doing work on my exchange "because you're getting broadband" and my line was off for half an hour or so.

No modem or any more emails from UTV at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I phoned them earlier today on the 1890 number.

Apparently the girl I was talking to had just got new info and told me that my line was due to be provisioned on the 24th July and that the modem would be sent that day direct from the manufacturer (which I believe is in Dublin as she expected delivery to be the 25th).

I ordered ClickSilver on the 13th June and live in Rathmines.

I recieved the modem and got connected on Monday. First impressions aren't great... speeds rarely go above 30k/s for me.

And I know it's RADSL and that should be expected but I had eircoms ADSL before and hit 60k/s... so I know I have a decent line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Pie . any chance you could do me a favour and ping the clan server ?

plz
    thanks in advance
    John.

I would jonski, except it's not working at all right now. It keeps rejecting my username/password :/

I'll try ping it if/when it comes back online.

• Advertisement

Got my modem today (a ZyXEL P630 ADSL Modem) and am connected now.

Seems quite good - this site is a bit slow but others are flying.

After interminable delays, I finally got my clicksilver connection activated and my modem delivered yesterday. For some reason, I had to manually input the nameservers for the connection to work ( I am using WindowsXP ) and was lucky enough to stumble across this solution myself, after repeatedly being told by technical report to reinstall the driver and ring them back - in fact, I am still waiting on a callback I was promised around 3pm yesterday. Once these issues were resolved, everything seemed fine. I was getting download speeds of up to 30kb/s ( how does this compare with other people's dsl experiences? ). Today's service, however, has been a disaster. Downloads are crawling, noticeably slower than they were on my 56k dialup. This page, for example, loaded at 746 B/s. Also, I am still unable to log into the accounts page for clicksilver at http://www.u.tv/internet/tools/ due to a recurring VBscript error. If i had a choice, I would terminate my contract with UTV right now. People on this board wax lyrical about how groovy it is that UTV engage with them within this forum, and that was, in fact, my main reason for signing up with them, but it really doesn't make a blind bit of difference when the "broadband" service they provide is so markedly inadequate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

Christ

Thanks for posting with your findings and llets hope things improve when everything is ironed out. I am back from UK and quite reluctant to sign up for anything new as it appears to me that it takes ages for things to work correctly.

Post back and don't u have a period when u can cancel and get your money back? I thought that was the law.

gb--

Originally posted by christ
    snip

Everyone using the bistream RADSL is having the exact same problem, be it UTV, Esat, Netsource or whoever. Check the Broadband forum for proof.

It seems to go a little something like this:

Mornings: Full Speed
    Afternoons: Half Speed
    Evenings: Crawling Speed
    After 1am: Full Speed

:/

UTV are trying to find the problem but I'm fairly sure I know what it is and there won't be much they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by PiE

UTV are trying to find the problem but I'm fairly sure I know what it is and there won't be much they can do about it.

Any chance that u could let us in on what you think is causing it , I read someone else ssaying they thought they knew why but no one seems to be saying .

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

bandwidth, rolled out a system that was just the bare bones and poor technology. Oh well a long wait ahead.

gb---

Originally posted by PiE

Evenings: Crawling Speed

I'm currently enjoying a 2.1kb/s download at the moment......sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I was connected this morning and getting full speed downloads, this evening I am getting 2 - 10k on the UTV modem speed test (http://www.u.tv/speedtest/).
    I've been blaming the engineer who called out today to disconnect my ISDN box and then decided against it because the connection was working anyway. I wasn't here when he called and found a Green and White phone wire lying beside my ISDN box.
    Anybody with ISDN - can you check your box and let me know if you have 2 or 4 wires going from the Line Input to a point between the 2 analogue ports??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

i'dhave to agree with the speed vs time of day posted above.got connected yesterday.using etech router.this morning was getting 55k/s downloads pulsing up to 60k/s.this evening ......i'd be faster writing the data as 1's and 0's on an a4 pad running down to the exchange and inputting it with a morse key:D

but i'm happy with the service so far.its always gonna be congested in the evenings with a 48:1 contention.

my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

I can't believe people are so willing to accept this as a fact of life: if you bought a colour television and it reverted to black and white at peak audience times you wouldn't just grin and bear it. I am confident that our friends across the english channel and our friends across the atlantic do not experience broadband services that crawl along for a large chunk of the day at lower speeds than dialup connections, and we shouldn't have to either.

Advertisement