Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Modem to share in a workgroup win 2k

Options
  • 04-07-2003 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Trying to share a broadband connection like ICS (internet connection sharing) on a workgroup of three PCs.

Using Win 2K Prof Service pack 4 on all three PCS in the workgroup.

Using ZyXEL Prestige 645 ADSL modem - It works stand alone.

Tried a programme raspppoe that I was recommended - but got errors. Error "could not find any dial up devices exposed to the pppoe over ethernet protocall"

Another thought - Has anyone tried wingate and does it work
    with ADSL?

* Should I just get a ADSL router?

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'd get a router. That's definitely my plan when I get UTV Clicksilver next month. I currently run 3 PCs off an ISDN router, and there are definite advantages to having a separate router. My only problem is the choice of ADSL router - I'm currently inclined to splash out and get a modem/router/WiFi extravaganza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Did you try the Window's in-built internet connection sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Ref to post about ICS in windows (thats what Im used to). Impossible to use ICS to share via an ADSL modem Im told.

- Tried ICS with a USB broadband modem and results were wobbly/crashes of "server" pc on LAN.
    Intermitent non connections etc ...

Going to give wingate a try. Though it 50 euros ...... wonder if thats 50 per PC - I doubt it.

Anywho wingate is supposed to be superb.

This post looks very good - yet to try info.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=991279#post991279

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

On my current setup.. I have the ZyXEL USB modem with IOL BB.. And it's hooked up to my WinXP machine.. ICS works fine.. I dont even use RASPPPoE.. Just create a normal bb connection from the wizard.. and use the wizard again for ICS ..it asks you which connections you want to share your BB (In my case I chose both my ethernet/wireless) WinXP bridged the two, I gave it (the network bridge) a manual IP.. and voila, both my imac and powerbook can share the connection.

On a related note.. which would be better
    A €200+ adsl modem/router/wireless device (like netgear or linksys, etc) *OR* should I spend the money on buying a cheapo box, throwing on linux and trying to configure a linux router (which would be good experience)

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I prefer the linux/bsd router option myself. You got more control with the firewall for one. There are also advantages to having seperate devices, you can upgrade one without having to replace all the others. Stick a big ass hard disk in that linux box and you got yourself a nice fileserver too.

Having said that tho, the wireless part could turn out to be a right pain in the arse. It is possible to do, but I've heard stories of ppl driven to insanity trying to get wi-fi cards working with their *nix boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

why upset yourself building a linux box with router/firewall...just throw a dsl router/firewall baby in and you will be in business...

this little baby does dhcp too, so no probs with configuring your win 2k boxes with new settings...

Advertisement