Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help or hinderance?

Options
  • 05-07-2003 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed in very recent weeks the emergance of several new indie/alternative radio programmes on the nations radio stations.

Today FM have recently launched "The Last Splash" which airs on Sundays from 21:00 - 23:00 presented by former Phantom FM host Alison Curtis

2FM have their new show "The Wireless" presented by Wilt/Kerbdog frontman and also former phantom FM DJ Cormac Battle. The Wireless airs Monday - Thursday from 12 am.

Dublin's FM 104 have the Rock Show with John Walsh also on Sundays from 23:00 - 01:00

It's possible there are there are other shows on some of the rural stations, I'm only familiar with the ones available in the Dublin area.

These new shows clearly prove that there is a market for such music and that there is obviously a strong enough listenership out there to make such shows viable options for the afformentioned stations. However perhaps the fact that these shows are scheduled at obsucre enough times may prove to be detrimental to their success.

My question is this however, will the introduction of such programmes help or hinder Phantom FM's chances of obtaining a broadcasting licence. As on one hand this is undeniable proof that there is a demand for the type of service they would and have in the past provided (albeit as a pirate station) On the other hand however it could be argued perhaps that the demand is now being catered for with two national stations producing and marketing shows which feature predominantly indie/alternative music and as such Phantom FM would have no place in the market as they would be catering for an already accommodated market.

Regards

Amz

I posted this on the Music Radio Forum also wasn't sure if it was a good idea to post it here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Yea, I had been thinking about that myself, especially seeing as it's some of the former ophantom Djs that are presenting these shows. It does make for obvious proof that these type of shows are very much in demand though.
    Maeve

Advertisement