Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link DSL-504 with IOL Broadband?

• 05-07-2003 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Has anyone setup a D-Link DSL-504 modem/router with IOL Broadband, and got it working?

I'm waiting for my modem to arrive from Esat, but don't expect it to be of any use to me when it gets here. It's reported to be a Zyxel Prestige 630M-11, which apparently needs Win98 SE or later, and there is no Linux driver available for it. I want to use ADSL with Linux, so I'm looking at alternatives. An ethernet-based device seems to be the safest bet, and the 504 looks like it could be the basis for a small home network, which I'm about to start cabling for, anyway.

So, has anyone got one of these working with Esat's new "IOL Broadband" service? Just wondering if I'll be able to configure the thing if I get it. Would the settings be exactly the same as for Eircom's RADSL service? If so, does anyone know what those are? :)

Also, if I buy one today (before my modem and splitters arrive) is it okay to plug an ADSL modem directly into a phone line without a splitter? That would just be a temporary setup, for testing, until the splitters arrive on Monday.

I'm pretty sure this thing *can* be got to work, and with Linux, too - so I'm off now to buy it. I know, I should probably wait for answers first, but the "I WANT MY BROADBAND" bug has bitten. :)

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance, for any info.

Advertisement