Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Fingerprinting Me - Legal?

• 05-07-2003 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Opinions Lads,

Basically some items went missing in work (e.3000) and work want everybody to sign a waiver giving them permission to fingerprint them to help find the thief.

Now, I didn't steal the items, so it doesn't matter at the end of the day but I do object to being effectivly forced to give them ID that even the guards have to bring you to station for.

Your thoughts please.... ASAP....

tribble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Tell them to **** off.
    They have no right to do this.
    Next they'll be getting you to take lie detector tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you're voluntarily signing a waiver, that gives them legal permission to fingerprint you. If you don't, it doesn't -... and while you say you're not guilty, it does naturally increase suspicion if you don't take part - but that's completely up to you - they can't FORCE you.

Any criminal investigation which involves the taking of fingerprints to ascertain the identity of a thief should really be carried out by the Gardaí anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Presumably these prints will be done by the police which mean you'll be on file from that point on?

My home was robbed when I was 7 and (for a laugh) the detective investigating took my prints. Now to this day I don't know whether he threw them straight in the bin, filed them or whatever but the thought that they might still have me on file somewhere bugs me slightly to this day! Out of interest can a 7-olds prints be matched to the adult anyway?

But back on subject I'd refuse to do it to be honest. Will they be looking for a strand of your hair for DNA comparisons next? Also if as they suspect it's an inside job then how is a set of prints going to prove anything anyway as by the law of averages anyones prints could be anywhere within a workplace or on an item?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

that seems to be the reason they want prints, as they can eliminate staff prints and then focus on prints that shouldnt be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

This is a tough one...if you like your job you may want to do it. Although legally they can't fire if you refuse. But then again where there is a will there is a way. They can always fire you on a techinicality. Is there a large vote against it in the company? If so you may consider going public with it.

Being a cop's daughter I would probably do it. But the funny thing is my father would probably say f*** that, it is an infringement on your rights!

It shows some serious trust issues in the company and do you want to work for a company that doesn't trust you?

Don't do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dont do if your guilty simple as that.
    If you didnt do it you may as well do it to find the guilty party.
    But afaik only Garda can take your fingerprints and they dont need a waiver to do that just aresst you all on suspicion of theft.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Is there anything stopping them from forcibly procuring your finger prints if you object? Like dusting the sides of the monitor, desk or mouse at your workstation and assuming them to be yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

This happened to me - I worked in a hotel, somebody was smuggling bottles of vodka out and so the boss took our fingerprints!

Unfortunately the day before I had to unpack the bottles from the box and put them in the store room, so my fingerprints were all over these bottles!

I got fired, as I was the supposed thief (i wasn't!), but after, I brought the boss to court for unfair dismissal and with the help of some CCTV footage I bagged myself EUR15,000!

So go on give them your fingerprints - you might be EUR15,000 better off :D:D:D !

Advertisement