Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bouncing wireless signal

Options
  • 05-07-2003 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

hi,

right my story is, i live in cork, im barely outside the range for amocoms wireless service, they told me that if i was able to find a site that could receive a signal and bounce it off to me, i should be ok for it

what additional equipment would i need, would this raise the latency that i would have?

anyone actually done this? is it viable?

any help appritiated, cheers

(p.s anyone here in cork living in and around glountaine area that might consider sharing a higher end spec product between us? chowley maybe?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

contact http://www.corkwireless.com/ there is about 12 guys down there interested[but notting setup yet] bouncing a signle is completly feasable you get someone who can get amocoms then create a wireless link to you this would add about 4ms to your ping. but this would mean them signing up for the package and you paying money towards it [you could also share it out to other ppl] if you just want to go point to point [ie one person to another person] it will cost you about €220 at each side thats including everything but not install [which is about another €100-150 if you dont do it yourself] that would be using an ME1000/ME2000,1 pigtail,5M of LMR400,1 PCMICA to ISA converter,1 Lucent radio card,1 mounting kit,connectors and self adheasive tape,1 MMDS antenna [if your going for a longer link you will have to get a better antenna] . that will give you an 11mbps connection between the both of you if you wanted to share with more ppl you would need a server node [preferable the person who has the net connection] to upgrade a node to a server you can add another €240 on to that. for more technical info ask on the irishwan.org fourm or join us on IRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Sorry Barra im practically sitting on top of the mast.

Dont suppose you have heard anything about their pings and DL speeds?

The contract is a year I presume,ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

supposed to be good, better than ull get for a long time anaway

pity ur too near it to bounce it, we culda shared a higher spec speed :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

True.
    TBH i dont give a ****e as long as the ping is under 50 and good DL speeds i can live with 45/50 ping.Its the fecking cap scares me and the length of contract.

you never know you could still get a signel [to Chowley] even if you cant get one to amocom you could also try using 5.8GHZ equiptment to get a connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

5.8ghz, whats that about, is that the spec signal that ud use to send on a bounced signal

there notting different between a bounced signel and an ordinary signel, it just that it travels over more points there are a few spectrums you can transmit data on without a lisence such as 2.4GHZ called 802.11b,wifi ect max speed 11mbps there is also 5.2GHZ and 5.8GHZ also known as 802.11a which have a theoritical speed of up to 108mbps.there is less noise on the 5.8GHZ spectrum so you should be able to get more distance and you also aloud to out up to 2watts where as 2.4GHZ you are only aloud to output 100Mw

Advertisement