Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Advice

• 05-07-2003 1:51pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What in your opinion is the best laptop on the market at the moment in the €1200 - €1600 price range? Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Advent, IBM, Compaq, HP etc etc???????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's the quality to value ratio really. I personally bought one here and got a great bargain.
    www.picosystems.co.uk

But Depends on whether you willing to shop outside Ireland

Jut my 2 pennys worth

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

kind of leaning towards a Dell at the moment. Don't like their Desktops but their Laptops are supposed to be good. If I'm gonna be spending that sort of money I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Originally posted by irish1
    It's the quality to value ratio really. I personally bought one here and got a great bargain.
    www.picosystems.co.uk

But Depends on whether you willing to shop outside Ireland

Jut my 2 pennys worth

They're site isn't secure when ordering with credit card. Not very good when you're spending so much money. Good spec machines though. Do you have to pay UK Vat with this site? On the checkout screen it says UK Vat is £0.

Not sure about vat I thought was they were in the EU they charge VAT but I could be wrong.

I bought mine through a company I was working for they had a UK base as well.

I wouldn't trust the my credit on the net normally even if secure I normally call the comp and do it over the phone. ( could be offer even more risk but I don't think so)

hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Are the picutoo notebooks big and bulky ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Honestly i would keep way from dell their government owned by the way so that makes it even a more reason to keep way...

anywayz...I would go would acer, their aspire series are really nice and powerful as well as affordable.

Would recommend them

./Webmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Everyone is going to role their eyes here but I would call into a Pc World up the north and have a look.

I bought a P4 3.06 Laptop with 512mb Ram, 64mb Radeon 9000 Mobility, CDRW and all the normal crap for €1700. I ran some tests for games and it was pulling 7000 or so in 3D Mark 2001SE which is very impressive for a laptop.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2026556015.1057622251@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadcijgijighcefecfgmdffgdghm.0&page=Product&sku=892170&category_oid=-15257

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Honestly i would keep way from dell their government owned by the way so that makes it even a more reason to keep way...
    And which government might this be?:rolleyes:

I amn't quite sure to be honest but I do know they are funded by the government. Ever wonder why everyone gets DELL stuff in the mail, how do dell get your name&address - The Government. Ever wonder why they can afford such small prices?

I have a contact in england that collects this kinda info i'll get back to you on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well they would have a fair pull with the american government but thats really it.

They can offer such cheap hardware simply because they buy cheap components in bulk. Not exactly sure how good there onboard graphics cards are but I am under the impression they aint the best

128mb of ram with an extra 128 for free is a big deal on the website.

etc. etc.

The local chipper sends me out flyers... does that mean they are funded by the government as well ? ;)

• Advertisement

./Webmonkey

Unfounded and Untrue that information you talk about can be bought easyily.

Are you trying to tell us Dell is owned by the Irish Government??

I don't think so mate.

Dell are a Massive company that sell and have operations throughout the world. They can sell cheap 'cause they use cheap parts, sell massive amounts of computers and have a massive advertising budget to make more people buy from them then any other manufacturer. I can buy 30,000,000 email addresses off the net for €30 so I'm sure Dell can afford it. The only assistance Dell may have got from our government is the same assistance all companies get and that's low corporation tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

And, any company can harvest your name and address from the electoral register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I amn't quite sure to be honest but I do know they are funded by the government. Ever wonder why everyone gets DELL stuff in the mail, how do dell get your name&address - The Government. Ever wonder why they can afford such small prices?

I have a contact in england that collects this kinda info i'll get back to you on it.
    Get your friend with the tinfoil underpants to give you the details. While you're waiting you can look up the Dell annual reports on their website - it'll let you know all about their stock exchange listing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Thats funny... Paranoia or what?

At most they get grants from the government but thats it... Its not all a big conspitacy :D

Jesus_thats_gre(at)
    Nice lappy... though its €1999 here... you got yours in NI so its a little cheaper :D

Whoops lol.

Didn't expect all this but ammmm I hate dell hehe, theyr support sucks and they have 'DEll' components inside the pcs so u ca'nt replace easily :p

Advertisement