Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel's 865PE and 875P Chipsets

• 05-07-2003 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

What is the difference between these two chipsets, I cant see anything in the difference. I have look on intels website and it mentions the same things for both of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The 875 chipset has PAT (performance enhancment) and the 865 is NOT SUPPOSED to have it ... but several board manufacturers have enabled it (fooled the chip into enabling it) .. this is working for most people simply with a bios update ... BUT some 865 chips are 865's because the silicon in question is not able to be a 875 (same as some Radeon 9500's are rejected 9700's .. i.e. a pipeline or more is not working) ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not a huge amount of diff between the two but the i875 is the superior chipset and witht the abit IC7 so cheap u might aswell get it, i have one and its a top board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Apparently onboard sound is a bit messed up on the IC7 regarding recording, you had any problems with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I have the ic7-g and while im far from an audiophile i think the onboard sound is of a very good quality. Havent tried recording, but output is clean and crisp. The drivers and provided sound apps all work first time.

All in all i dont have a bad word to say about the board..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have an IC7-G and the onboard sound was crap (crackles and some hiss) I did not try recording, and this is where it is completely fubar (according to forum.abit-usa.com) ... I disabled onboard sound and I added in my old trusty soundblaster live and sound is now ok again ...

Apparently you can get it fixed for free over in the states, but they will charge you to get it fixed in Europe ... its sh1t like that that will stop me from buying Abit again ...

This is not the only problem these boards have, I had to turn my vdimm up to 2.7v to get XP installed (as do the majority of people I know who have bought one of these boards) ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i use a sonic fury, id never use onboard sound tbh, i think the main sound problem was something to do with microphone out put?

This is not the only problem these boards have, I had to turn my vdimm up to 2.7v to get XP installed (as do the majority of people I know who have bought one of these boards) ..

i didnt and not many people realise a lot of pc3200 ram is rated to ddr 400 @ 2.7v not 2.5v

Advertisement