Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT Password Issue Pls Help

Options
  • 05-07-2003 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

My Bro got a 2nd hand PC last week and it has Windows NT on it and I am trying to upgrade his OS to XP

But the PC wont let me as I dont have the Admin password is there any way around this so that I can upgrade his OS.

Cheers Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

You can use this tool (NT Password changer)

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

to change the administrator password.

Denis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Thanks Renton anyone know of anything easier as its proving to be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If he only has the machine for the last week would it not be easier to just format the drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lionel Hutz

whats the nightmare? the program that renton told you about works in about 2 mins for people who have 'lost' their passwords for nt

The machine has No Modem and he lives quite abit away from me and ther is not zip software on the machine and that prog wont fit onto a disk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lionel Hutz

its designed to fit on a disk, it creates a reset disk that you boot off

1 it doesnt fit on a disk
    2 His Floppy Drive is Broke
    3 I think Im going to take a hammer to it.
    4 anyone any other ways of doing it as im slowly going mad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At this stage you are looking at the screen saver hack... gives you command prompt access..

If you happened to have a copy of server on a laptop - you could try joining the domain - the domain admin would then have rights to change the local admin password...

Just as well you said up grade - 'cos you can't re-use OEM on another PC. You can use XP bootable CD to nuke the current partition - it will ask you for the original NT or appropiate upgrade CD though during the install.

Though NT should be in c:\winnt and XP should install in the C:\windows folder ...

Originally posted by the Guru
    1 it doesnt fit on a disk
    2 His Floppy Drive is Broke
    3 I think Im going to take a hammer to it.
    4 anyone any other ways of doing it as im slowly going mad

1. It does fit on a disk
    2. either a) get a floppy drive for all of about €10 or b) take a floppy out of another computer, it only takes 2 seconds.
    3. Now now, calm blue ocean's whooooooooooosssshhh
    4. See above 1,2 and 3.

You could also download the 2mb version which is an ISO, which you can then burn as a bootable cd.

its really really not hard to use, just use all the defaults and read the last few questions carefully.

Denis.

Okay, im bored ;)

so ive decided to do the decent thing

IN STEP FORM !!! :D

To make a boot floppy

1. Download this file called rawrite2.exe, put it in a nice folder like C:\NTPASSWD

2. Now download the 1.44 mb image from here and save that to the same folder, (C:\NTPASSWD)

3. Now put a floppy disk into the drive, and then click Start -> Run -> and type (without the inverted commas) "c:\ntpasswd\rawrite2.exe bd030426.bin -d a:"

It will now create the nt password changer disk.

4. Boot from that disk on said PC with password problem, follow instructions carefully.

To make a boot CD

1. Download the ISO image from here and save that to the some folder, i.e. (C:\NTPASSWD)

2. Now load up Nero, Click File -> Burn Image -> type in C:\NTPASSWD\cd030426.iso

Burn that, and you have a bootable CD. :)

now put the hammer down and tell me about your childhood....

Denis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe it can take a USB floppy in Legacy mode ??
    Or you might find a head cleaning floppy somewhere ??

(Hint: if the floppy light is on all the time someone has reversed the cable)

rename %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\LOGON.SCR *.rcs
    copy %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\LOGON.SCR
    logoff - wait 15 minutes - type MUSRMGR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

I suggest if it doesnt fit on a disk use a different disk as the disk is probably corrupt.. alternatively burn a cd for it.. works like a treat that program does..

Advertisement