Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling Drivers fully (windows 2000)

Options
  • 05-07-2003 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just got a new graphics card (radeon 9000) and replacing my old nVidia TNT2 card.

It's a dual boot machine, and it works fine in 98 after unintsalling nVidia drivers etc... However 2k just gives loads of errors and it's workable. I suspect it's a driver conflict as i've heard of problems with the two on the same system.

Anyone know how to fully get rid of the drivers in 2k, it's not in add/remove programs and I 'uninstaled' it from device, in display properties.

Thanks,

- Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have a poke around in c:\winnt\inf

What you're looking for are files called oem<number>.inf and oem<number>.PNF.
    (eg oem1.inf and oem1.PNF - on my machine they run from 0 to 9)

These are files for drivers for devices that you've installed that don't have drivers supplied my Microsoft.

Double-click the inf files to open them in Notepad. Find the inf file associated with your TNT card (details of which device the particular inf file applies to should be found in the headers - makes it a lot easier). Delete this inf file and the associated PNF file. Do NOT delete any of the other files.

Reboot machine - driver files are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey, thanks for the tip.

There's one small problem though. There's no files in there that have nvidia or tnt in there at all!

I even did a "containing text" search in the inf folder and nothing.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Have you tried booting into safe mode. Going to device manager and removing (right click on driver and uninstall/remove) the driver from there. That should be enough I would have thought.

Otherwise see if there is an uninstall tool available because you will want to remove the registry enteries as well as the Inf files.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Device Manager>right click your gfx card go to properites>Driver>driver details should give you the location of the driver

Advertisement