Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can u get partition magic free?

• 05-07-2003 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I was looking for partition magic and the sites I got from google try to get me to buy it. Is there an earlier version u can download somewhere for free?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If you know anyone thats big into buying PC mag's they should have got a cover cd with it on it. I got it with a free mag some months ago although I ended up using FDISK.

Heres a software package can't say how good it is do:

http://download.com.com/3000-2248-914828.html?tag=lst-0-1

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

depending on what OS you are using, an earlier version might be no good to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

How about a freeware/trial program for managing NTFS Partitions?

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

I always thought partition magic was freeware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Calman

Err, no but you can get it as freewarez ;-) This is illegal and I cannot condone it though (don't want to be banned)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Er, no. It's developed by Powerquest, a company based in Utah. It's never been released as freeware in any version. As people have said, quite a few older versions have been available on PC mag cover discs in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

as far as i know partition magic will not work with xp before version 8.. so my friend tells me at least..
    iv tried the demo version.
    that'l let you do everything up to but not including partitioning a drive..
    i pretty sure some commercial linux distros have partition creators very like pm although iv never had to use one... you could always use them and try and get out of installing linux afterwards.. or delete the partition using fdisk..
    just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Err, no but you can get it as freewarez ;-) This is illegal and I cannot condone it though (don't want to be banned)
    In other words, you would condone it if it didn't get you banned....

Is there an earlier version u can download somewhere for free?

You could try a free partition manager called Ranish
    or you could try a google for
    partition managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I finally splashed out and bought PartitionMagic 8 about two months ago... well worth the price imo, and damn handy app to have around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    as far as i know partition magic will not work with xp before version 8.. so my friend tells me at least..
    iv tried the demo version.
    that'l let you do everything up to but not including partitioning a drive..
    i pretty sure some commercial linux distros have partition creators very like pm although iv never had to use one... you could always use them and try and get out of installing linux afterwards.. or delete the partition using fdisk..
    just a suggestion

I'm currently using version 7 with xp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

oh. ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Am well can't u get the older versions like version 1.0 for free now? cause its outdated software and its left free now? Correct me if i'm wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Correct me if i'm wrong

Err, wrong I'm afraid.

Powerquest don't offer any old versions as free downloads and www.shareware.com (nor any of the other major sources) have it available as a free download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Am well can't u get the older versions like version 1.0 for free now? cause its outdated software and its left free now? Correct me if i'm wrong
    The copyright on version 1 will run out around the time you die (unless they extend copyright terms again in which case it may be much later). They haven't taken the step of making older versions freely available for a few reasons: they just don't want to / unlike Microsoft they actually add functionality or capacity to new versions (pre-v5 versions wouldn't work with discs larger than 8GB if I remember correctly so there's less demand than you might think for older versions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah am what do you call outdated software again? Sometimes they do be free though. I remember coming cross a site that had all that . Maybe it wasn't that legal tho :p

later

./Webmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you got a Seagate drive? If so will Disk Wizard do for you?

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Download it off Kazaa

Advertisement