Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

project ideas

Options
  • 05-07-2003 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    i heading into 4th year of software engineering and i just started thinking of what project that i will do for my final year.. so i was hoping that you guys would be able to give me some advice on what would be suitable .. i have experience in c++, vb6.0, assembly, java, turbo pascal,c. i spent the last tree years working in groups and the ppl that i was working with just f$$ked up their parts and therefore the proj or they just f$$ked off half way through the proj so anything that is a one person proj would be a good start...

thanking you
    tommycahir

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Dont the lecturers suggest projects and areas they would like to see covered?

Dave

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What sort of stuff do you want to program? Graphics? Games? Maybe do a physics engine, light engine, sound API, network API, Graphics API, database system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

usually they(lecturers) suggest areas but i want to get a bit of a head start and have some research done into it and maybe a bit of code. they give you suggestions but they try to get you to come up with an original idea or work on an ongoing project.. one the lads that i know is going to be writing an os kernal and another is using gps to try to find tourist attractions in relation to your current position in any town or city (done on pda or mobile he not sure yet) i really dont want to go down the whole graphics or sound side of it cos just sick of messing bout with graphics from last proj.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by tommycahir
    one the lads that i know is going to be writing an os kernal
    Does he know how much work is involved in this (if he intends to get something usable)?

Linus Torvalds is by all accounts a genius, but even he couldn't single handedly write the Linux kernel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you want marks, then try and make sure it has some flashy appearance on it.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~gavin/projects.html is a list of project ideas I had for my final year project, mostly bluetooth/gimmicky stuff.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

he not not going to write a fully working kernal just some parts of it.. this lads bright but he ain't no linus torvalds.. yet..
    tanx for the ideas verb it something along those linesof stuff that i thinking
    keep them coming the more the better
    tanx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's loads of ideas out there on the web - a simple google will find tonnes of results for you to sift through.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey,just adding to the thread as I'm in the same boat,heading into final year and starting to think about final project.

Anyone know any good website's on Java programming in general.I have a good one before which was very useful but can't remember it now at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What sort of topics in java ? Alot in it :) Not man sites would cover it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

just reading this thread and i'm going into third year now i'm just wondering what all of ye did for your third year projects?...i'm hoping to do something with wap/bluetooth but i'm not too sure yet like the rest of ye just tryin to get a head start i'll be using C++, Java and VB

any ideas would be cool...

sorry for butting in!

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

how about a project that implements quantum cryptography

Originally posted by sjones
    how about a project that implements quantum cryptography

bearing in mind of course that:

a) you need very expensive fibre-optic equipment to implement it and

b) it is, in a real world sense, useless (you can't route the signal)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/31319.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    Linus Torvalds is by all accounts a genius, but even he couldn't single handedly write the Linux kernel.

I did an object oriented OS kernel for my final year project ... it wasn't that hard .. not lecture would ever expect you to produce something like linux, but my FYP had simple task management and virtual memory ... not that it worked very well but I learned loads about OS design (which was the point).

tommycahir you might think about doing something that you think would help you out in the real world. I went to UL where we didn't do Java so a mate of mine decided to do a Java server page bulleten board system (like Slashdot.org), cause he wanted to learn java and get some web server experience. He got a great job based on his FYP and well I am working in a videostore :-) ... so there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

i too am going into my final year in UL

Im thinkin of doing a either a web site for an IT dept to use to monitor problems, or a piece of software that can pull all the info from a PC that your average IT person needs to fix a problem on the computer. Im thinkin of combining the two, a user can submit their problem to the site and it takes the info (somehow, and suggestions PM me)

This year a lot of projects had XML in them. A few of the ones i know were a betting site that could text your results to you and a Flash Irish Dictionary.

Some others were Connect4 with a learning AI, and an Email filter system for spam

Please dont nick my idea!! I'd hate to have to kill you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

If you're heading into 4th year ucd don't expect to get much interest from lecturers in your own ideas. It's pretty much do this because we've done it all before and we won't have to put any effort into supporting your project, thanks, good night.

LOVE the attitude. They probably love mine too, can't wait.

bearing in mind of course that:

a) you need very expensive fibre-optic equipment to implement it and

b) it is, in a real world sense, useless (you can't route the signal)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/31319.html

What are you talking about ?
    see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99899

Quantum algorithims can be simulated using the Quantum computing language.

Gav

Originally posted by Verb
    What are you talking about ?
    see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99899

Quantum algorithims can be simulated using the Quantum computing language.

Gav

Proper quantum cryptography relies on the state of photons which change once they are read, hence letting you know that the signal has been intercepted.

To route a signal you have to buffer the signal until you know where it is going.

This means that you will leave detectable traces that the signal has been read when you try to route it (which means you cannot trust the signal).

Also there is the same issue with repeaters which, if memory serves, are required every hundred or so kilometres to combat attenuation of the fibre-optic signal.

What you are left with is a cryptography system that is only good for p2p comms within a certain (relatively small) distance.

Hardly the "Holy Grail" of crypto.

Why the concentration on network connections ?
    Quantum computers can be self contained units.. When I talk about Quantum Cryptography, I'm thinking of massively parallel computing, using shor's or grovers algorithm for factoring of numbers.

Gav

A computer with quantum registers is very different from quantum cryptography.

Using a quantum computer to factorise large primes etc. that are used in current cryptographic algorithms isn't quantum cryptography.

Quantum cryptography involves the state of the photons which are used to send the signal.

That's why there's a concentration on signal sending. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Hardly the "Holy Grail" of crypto.

Was that ever mentioned? and in my original post i was being sarcastic :D I was waiting for someone to say "where do i get the libraries for that?"

• Advertisement

A computer with quantum registers is very different from quantum cryptography.

Using a quantum computer to factorise large primes etc. that are used in current cryptographic algorithms isn't quantum cryptography.

Quantum cryptography involves the state of the photons which are used to send the signal.

That's why there's a concentration on signal sending. :)

Fair enough. Getting confused between my cryptanalysis, cryptography and cryptology !

Gav

Advertisement