Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC FTA discussed on Today FM...

• 06-07-2003 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The Sunday Business Show hosted by Richard Curren discussed the BBC FTA situation today with Tommy McCabe who represents
    the Telecommunications and Internet Federation was bemoaning this attack on Irish TV soverinty :eek: Curren was rightly sceptical about the impact on domestic broadcasters. McCabe suggested that the Irish government should be talking to the UK gov about the issue, pointing out the implications for Irish broadcasters and cable companies. Curren said they'd just laugh, he's right! He also noted how this sort of thing should have been seen coming given the technological developments over recent years. All in all McCabe sounded pretty lame.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    McCabe suggested that the Irish government should be talking to the UK gov about the issue, pointing out the implications for Irish broadcasters and cable companies. Curren said they'd just laugh,
    "Ah, Mr Ahern, what country are you leader of again?"
    -"Er, Ireland"
    "Is that still in the UK?"
    -"Er, no sir, it's not"
    "Bugger off then, we're not elected to represent your people"

Tommy McCabe might as well throw his wooden shoes at the satellite for all the good it'll do. I'm sure he'll get re-elected by his members or fighting the good fight though. Straw-man actions like this just for the sheer sake of it are part of the reason some people feel the need to go on an anti-union rant every once in a while and feel morally justified in doing so.

Yeah, I heard the interview, he sounded like someone who didn't like competition.

My comment on his organisations views on the subject ( and to do so I will be testing out Boards list of banned words for the very first time:D honest... )

They can go and take a flying ****!
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

most people i would hazard to guess are not as technical minded as the people who respond on icdg so probably wont even notice they can get bb3 and bbc4 fta unless someone tells them how to do it of skys 270000 subs i doubt if maybe 10% of people wil actually go and try to get bbc etc. perhaps someone can correct me if im wrong so idont know what chorus etc is moaning about. sounds like sour grapes to me . they had years to provide a quality high speed cable based tv and internet service and havent even got round to rolling it out nationwide. any isnt televison without frontiers supposed to apply accordin to the EC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Is this the same ' Telecom Tom ' who used to own Swiftcall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by channelsurfer
    idont know what chorus etc is moaning about. sounds like sour grapes to me

their moaning and the moaning of others will do nothing except have people asking how do they get the extra BBC channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Man

They can go and take a flying ****!
    mm

A flying leap, whats wrong with that? :D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

An attack on Irish TV sovereignty. Haha, now that's a good one. Better start compaining to the German, Italian and French governments about them infringing on Irish TV sovereignty too!

It just shows that Chorus/NTL have been relying on their "middle man" status for too long. Maybe this is the kick up the arse they need to provide a good channel lineup for a decent price.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by channelsurfer
    most people i would hazard to guess are not as technical minded as the people who respond on icdg so probably wont even notice they can get bb3 and bbc4 fta unless someone tells them how to do it of skys 270000 subs i doubt if maybe 10% of people wil actually go and try to get bbc etc. perhaps someone can correct me if im wrong

You'd be quite surprised the amount of people that will figure out how to get the other Beebs. I remember when ITV was available via Other Channels in ROI and was amazed at the amount of people who had ITV listed in Other Channels! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    An attack on Irish TV sovereignty. Haha, now that's a good one.

Maybe someone should remind him of the purpose of Clermont Carn! (no, I don't consider CC an attack on anybody's sovereignty, but neither do I consider the BBC FTA move an attack on anybody's sovereignty either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I was sticking pins into (NOT a gov minister....)

... a MAP of Ireland (filling back of door) to mark main TV TX sites (not relays).

RTE's Donegal TX according to my Mitchelin map (Hollywell Hill) is actually inside NI! I know it isn't actually. But it and Claremont Cairn are definately 50% extra territorial.

Meanwhile which MAJOR TX (not relay) serves Mayo and West Galway?

I have other different coloured map pins for other kinds of transmitters.. yes I know I should get a life.

Perhaps a Night Sky view of arc from 70 deg E to 80W across top of south wall of my workshop / shack showing satellite TV positions next?

The guys running the Cable Cos *really* need to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

>Maybe someone should remind him of the purpose of Clermont Carn! (no, I don't consider CC an attack on anybody's sovereignty, but neither do I consider the BBC FTA move an attack on anybody's sovereignty either).

I remember the night RTE turned on 102.7FM for RnaG from CC
    they creamed radio nova with a thumping signal from the North
    (of 3rock) but the aim was the southern pointing households in the 6 counties wanting a bit of Glenroe & murphys micro quizim, I never read about UTV or BBC NI complaining about clandestine operations from a legal source RTE, but they were quick to complain about Kiss Monaghan in '88 and activities on Alien Mountain in the late '90s

IBEC chorus NTL RTE are cribbing, and helping BBC establish awareness in ROI. If IBEC care about job losses [ no comment ]... if RTE care about job losses [read their annual report], if NTL care about CableLink jobs.. Save Our Jobs is a lame call, saving jobs was about bedding down good service long ago.

Remember NOT one ADVERT will be shown on FreeSAT. Not one viewer will be counted like Radio Five Live listeners are never counted in JNLR. This is not a cash argument its about an RTE NEWS CHANNEL and a DENT in DEN'TV. These aren't jobs, they are brands (to be) that need to nurture without News 24 and C'B'B's breathing down their neck.

They aren't jobs as they would be the existing skeleton staff seconded to Public Private Partnership TV Stations (PPP) with PPP digico like transmission operation with shareholders, adverts & licence fee.

come on thursday.

Advertisement