Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dehydrating drinks

• 06-07-2003 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

you know the way lucazade sport says its a hydrating drink, whats that phrase they use again?

does the mean tha coke for example acctualy dehydrates you as you drink its as in adding in othes things to create less water in your body systems

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Isotonic? - that means that one fluid is the same concentration with the blood, or something like that :).

In relation to Lucozade sport, it means that the energy in the drink will get released into your blood quicker than any dilute/concentrated drink (coke etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, yes they do.

Caffeine and Alcohol dehydrate you. The more you drink, the more you'll want, and the thirstier you'll become.

It's kind of a reverse osmosis (and it has a real name, I just can't think of it at the moment), in that it actively forces water out of your body. Which is the main cause of hangovers - acute dehydration. So if you feel thirsty, drink water, or any 'isotonic' drink. I used to know all of this stuff back in LC biology, but it's gone now :)

There are some other things that will have the same effect, Aspartame, I think, but I'm not sure. Bottom line, to avoid dehydration, drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, avoid soft drinks and tea/coffee (although a cuppa with your breakfast and supper is always worth it :)), and when you get drunk, drink as much water as you can physically handle before you go to bed (unless you're *really* drunk, which may cause loss of the ability to *ahem* retain all that water).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

thanks for those answers i asked cos im trying to find out about provision of water at concerts

at hte point recently audioslave they provided no free water before or after the concert on a sweltering day but they did provide coke (well thye had bottle water but it should be free water)

as far as i know the reason for the riots in woodstock 99 were lack of free water during a 110 fahrenheit weekend,

you know at witness they'll be selling coke etc but only providing a limited supply of water

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by seamus
    Bottom line, to avoid dehydration, drink 8-10 glasses of water a day...

Okay, that's fairly clear and I have heard the recommendation many times before. However, what I'm not completely clear about is the volume of a glass of water.
    Is it the same as a glass of Guinness, ie. half a pint or is it a tumbler full?
    If I were to take a half pint as an example (approx. 250ml), should I be drinking a 2litre (8 x 250ml) bottle of water a day, or is it more?
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by seamus
    It's kind of a reverse osmosis (and it has a real name, I just can't think of it at the moment), in that it actively forces water out of your body.
    Diuretic, IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Samson
    Okay, that's fairly clear and I have heard the recommendation many times before. However, what I'm not completely clear about is the volume of a glass of water.
    Is it the same as a glass of Guinness, ie. half a pint or is it a tumbler full?
    If I were to take a half pint as an example (approx. 250ml), should I be drinking a 2litre (8 x 250ml) bottle of water a day, or is it more?
    :confused:

About 2 litres I would say. A standard tumbler full 8-10 times a day.
    I was flicking through the web looking for that word - Diuretic, thanks sceptre - and found a little thing about 'water intoxication', which usually occurs in atheletes who have drank too much water, and their body has trouble transporting nutrients and stuff. And this website quoted 8-10 Litres as the point this tends to occur. Even then all they get is dizzyness and disorientation, and have to sit down for a while (apparaently).

So unless you're hooked up to a drip all day, I wouldn't worry too much :p

In my experience, anywhere between 1-4 litres of water keeps me well oiled. Depending on how active I've been, and If I've been drinking the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

drinking alot of water is also good as it flushes out any crap thats in yur kidneys . Also just on the sports drinks thing. i used to drink them all the time, like they would be the only drink i would buy, but recently i found out, that if u drink them and yur nothign doing exercise they can be one of the cause for excess fat storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lucozade sport tends to make me sick anyway for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Lucozade Sport was just a hugely successful advertising campaign in my opinion and it seems to be believed y most people.
    Keeps you going 33% longer they say. When compared to water.
    Well of course it would, it's got sugars in it.
    Isotonic is also pants, there's nothing more Isotonic than water. And if you need energy then the best thing is sugar-water. Just dissolve two or three tesapoons of sugar in a glass of water. It's far less complex for the digestive system to work on and so gets to where it's needed faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

In fairness at Witnness there were taps where you could take as much free drinking water as you wanted

• Advertisement
Advertisement