Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 06-07-2003 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Finally BB is available to people that are lucky enough to live within a certain distance from an updated exchange, at a price. And for those of us that cannot get it there is the option of 56k and ISDN (where available) Flat Rate dial up. I have to state that it bugs me a bit when I see people getting BB and I cannot (not their fault). But isn’t it about time that the rest of Ireland (people living outside of these areas) got together and did something about it? Muck mentioned Wireless ISDN and Wireless BB and other people mentioned Irish Broadband, the wireless internet firm that is owned by National Toll Roads, will launch a product that enables households to get immediate access to high-speed internet services. But where are they and how do we go about getting it? I have been on to Eircon / IBB / Comreg etc. but to no avail. So would it be feasible perhaps for IOFFL to turn their efforts to helping us less fortunate people to campaign for BB / Wireless BB then?

OHP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you're in westmeath? there is a wisp in Athlone ISTR

there is some consultation on wireless if you look at the market issues folder. Thoughts to IoffL and Comreg during the week.

there will be licences for the 3.5Ghz band this year

5.8Ghz 5.3 and 2.4 can be used with minimal licences if any

Athlone tullamore get a fibre ring as we speak, how does it join up? via Moate ? find out.

then do it yourselves!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

No single technology is perfect, but the combination of several will ensure that the maximum number of people is covered.

I agree that the main hope will come from wireless companies of various sorts in extending beyond the range normally covered by DSL and cable. Eircom may upgrade a few exchanges over the coming months and years but there will still be people outside of range.

The problem with the wireless companies is that they are not spreading fast enough. The solution will require a combination of funding + local community action. I think IOFFL would be well placed to coordinate and bring this about now that FRIACO is pretty much out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by OHP
    But isn’t it about time that the rest of Ireland (people living outside of these areas) got together and did something about it?
    Have a look at the IrishWAN site. They're doing just that. Active networks in Antrim, Dublin, Limerick, Wexford. Doesn't mention the CorkWAN in the blurb for some reason but there's a link.

So would it be feasible perhaps for IOFFL to turn their efforts to helping us less fortunate people to campaign for BB / Wireless BB then?
    DeVore is taking a serious look at this. Nothing to do with the IrelandOffline except that we're hosted on boards but there's a fairly long thread a few pages back with everything he can say so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by Muck
    you're in westmeath? there is a wisp in Athlone ISTR

there is some consultation on wireless if you look at the market issues folder. Thoughts to IoffL and Comreg during the week.

there will be licences for the 3.5Ghz band this year

5.8Ghz 5.3 and 2.4 can be used with minimal licences if any

Athlone tullamore get a fibre ring as we speak, how does it join up? via Moate ? find out.

then do it yourselves!

M
    I know about the wisp in Athlone Muck. But I live in Moate. I also have been to a few meetings but the outcom was all in one direction Athlone / Tullamore. Moate seems to be a no go area for some reason. But yet it is the gateway to Athlone / Tullamore.

OHP

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The problem with the wireless companies is that they are not spreading fast enough. The solution will require a combination of funding + local community action. I think IOFFL would be well placed to coordinate and bring this about now that FRIACO is pretty much out of the way.
    I have to say I totally agree with all you said. For anyone outside the immediate area of and ADSL enebled Exchange, Wirelsss is the way to go. So how do we go about getting it?

OHP

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    Have a look at the IrishWAN site. They're doing just that. Active networks in Antrim, Dublin, Limerick, Wexford. Doesn't mention the CorkWAN in the blurb for some reason but there's a link.

DeVore is taking a serious look at this. Nothing to do with the IrelandOffline except that we're hosted on boards but there's a fairly long thread a few pages back with everything he can say so far.
    Does not mention Athlone or Moate too but I will look further. But Dev being serious? LOL ok :)
    I'm just kidding :)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Just though i would post this see if it holds any water...?
    after just moving to my new appartment D9 i had NTL rep try to connect me..
    I asked only if i can recieve broadband..
    He said as far as he knows it will be here by christmas( he didnt say which christmas)
    any way i told him i have sent emails and was told they have no intentions of expanding.. he insisted, yeah yeah it will be here by christmas, defo christmas...
    i told him he can connect me when i can get broadband.

anyways.. im not going to go blue waiting... :D

Have to admit tis the first time I seen a thread die like this all becaouse of 1 post. Christ I must be getting old

OHP

Advertisement