Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow up to ComReg USO consultation submitted to ComReg by IrelandOffline

Options
  • 07-07-2003 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline have been working for the past two weeks (and through the weekend!) to complete it's response to the Universial Service RIA (ComReg 03/68) document.

Our submission is now available to view here.

In it we have stressed the importance of having a bit rate set, having a mechanism in place to deal with carrier "pair-gain"systems and to notify users of their presence, and ask for a definition of what exactly is defined by "functional Internet access", as it is a question which appear to be being dodged repeatedly.

Many thanks to all involved in all stages of the compilation of this document.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Excellent work guys. Personally, I get the feeling that Comreg is going to railroad this through without a defined bitrate war-in-iraq style though, what do you think? And more importantly, why do you think? I think the reasons are a little more subtle than the usual accusations of backhanders and explicit favours, but I'm don't think I'm seeing the entire picture here. What's Ireland getting in return for what is, in effect, a /massive/ handout to Eircom?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Do Comreg have to answer all questions? or publically discuss all suggestions? .. can they just pass this through without addressing IOFFL's questions? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

On reading the IoffL submission I am left with a strong impression that they have asked Comreg to explain the legal basis for their original response to submissions (last month).

IoffL seem to have dug up the 1998 USO Directive along with the 2002 USO directive. Reading both of them shows how the first required that NEW lines not be pairgained (this was ignored by Comreg for 4 years) whereas the second of the directives required that ALL lines be upgraded to allow "Functional Internet Access" .

IoffL have accepted that an affected analogue line subscriber must REQUEST that the crap be taken off the line first. Eircom will not be required to fan out across the country starting on the 25th of July .

Comreg appear to have no legal basis for some of the twaddle they came up with and now that they have been told so so they cannot ignore it as you fear Bigeejit.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

if this hasnt been posted already...then here goes again.

The OECD have published a paper on whether broadband should be the minimum standard for a USO. It makes for interesting reading.
    They reach the conclusion the bb is too young/immature yet to
    qualify as a requirement but it warns that countries should be
    looking to implement BB as part of the USO in the near future.

(However I've lost the link but I'm sure I could find it again)

Advertisement