Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

law on displaying prices

Options
  • 07-07-2003 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

is there a law that states shops must display prices i am sick of going into shops buying a magazine, food etc and not knowing the price till i get to the counter and being embarrased into buying it.

If there is a law who do you report people breaking this law to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Yes, so far as I know (I work in Tesco's), there is a law that s.e.l.'s (shelf end labels) must be diplayed on all stock - all food stock at least, though I admit I rarely see prices on magazines. The people to report it to would be the Irish equivalent of the Trading Standards Office and they will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i used to be embarassed asking too so now i embarass them. i go up with loads of stuff and ask for the cheapest out of all of them. i am not sure if the law applies to all shops though. i know supermarkets (and others?) are meant to show price per kilo or litre etc so i take it this means they must show a price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think some items in supermarkets needs to be priced more clearly. Frozen Food in small shops is often not priced. There aslo seems to be a problem with razors - for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yup, don't be embarassed about not wanting to be ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

cheers everyone,

am i going mad but didnt they use to have price labels on magazines etc or am i looking back thru rose tinted glasses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

This thread by MadSl has quite abit of usefull info on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

This thread by MadSl has quite abit of usefull info on the subject

Thanks that thread got a bit nasty (and immature) there we should complain more and demand fair and transparent prices the brits would never tolerate being ripped off like we are but i think a lot of people in ireland are afraid to complain in case it makes them seem like they cant afford it.

myself included but i cant afford it anyway so i gonna start complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

i work in a super valu and on my first day they said that when ever you are putting stock on the shelves that it is vital to make sure that the price tag is located underneath it as it is against the law if its not. so there u go, straight from the horses mouth.

p.s. usefull info. if in a supermarket you take something to the till and its passed through the register but the lady at the till cannot get a price for it, you are entitled to take it for free.
    not alot of people know this and the supermarkets would love it if ye didnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I was in a Super Valu today and razors not not priced. There was a whole pile of prices pinned to a wall underneath the razors but these were not coresponding to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by solice
    p.s. usefull info. if in a supermarket you take something to the till and its passed through the register but the lady at the till cannot get a price for it, you are entitled to take it for free.
    not alot of people know this and the supermarkets would love it if ye didnt know
    Not true. If a price is displayed for a product, the shop is entitled to charge that price, regardless of whether it scans or not.
    If there is no price displayed and it doesn't scan, then it's a bit a bit of a grey area. They can charge you, but you can report them for not having accurate SELs for their products.
    They can also choose not to sell the product to you, that's their right - for example in a case where stock is ordered, in error, that the chain doesn't sell, and some errant shelf stacker puts it up without checking it, or where a product has been withdrawn due to safety concerns.
    Supermarkets tend to give the product free as a gesture of goodwill.

The story is this :-
    In stores where barcode scanning is in use, all prepacked items must have a label with the price and unit price (per kilo) on the shelf edge, or in the nearest possible location.
    Weighed/unpacked items must have the unit price (per kilo) or the unit price (per item in the case of unpacked & unweighed goods like bread) displayed similarly. There must also be a means to determine the price/weight of such items before they are input at the till.
    The SELs must be accurate of the price and description of the goods.
    For more information check out www.ean.ie

Some products are notoriously difficult to keep the correct SELs for. Razors being one of them. Razors are expensive, yet easily carriable, and are also packed strangely. When they're on hooks, the label tends to get removed eventually by people removing the product roughly. Shelf stackers also have a tendancy to just take out and throw away a label if it doesn't match the product they're packing. They also suffer badly from theft. People remove/switch around the labels in an attempt to blag a free product. The best combat against these is to just plaster all the labels haphazard beside the razor rack, but as you've experienced, it's difficult to find the price you want, or to determine which razors are actually in stock.

Other labels become damaged by kids/customers fiddling with the shelf edges, or when shelf stackers or shop floor managers are careless in positioning stock or facing off.

There's no good reason why a shop can't have 99% accuracy on their SELs though....

God I hated that job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I work in a video store with a newsagents attached ... few months back we had to spend the whole day checking everything in the store had a price sticker and the newsagents had to print up hundreds of small price list cards and stick them all over the shop...

as far as I gathered from listening to the managers, new law says everything must have a up to date price sticker clearly displayed or the price must be displayed within 2 meters of the product. If any shop has an item without a price label they can be fined 2000 euro.
    Originally posted by solice

we use scanners to scan in the barcode on videos and DVDs. The scanners NEVER work, so it is inputed manually. If I had a cent for every person who has demanded that they get the video for free I could buy every video we have and retire to a desert island. Damn those supermarkets!! It was just a promotional thingy they started to reassure customers about the quality and speed of barcodes. But it has become part of urban myth that something not scanning is grounds for getting it for free.

p.s. ... i need a better job :p

Advertisement