Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ambulance Charge in Cork/Kerry

• 07-07-2003 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wondered if anyone knows if the Southern Health Board (Cork/Kerry) usually make an ambulance charge to someone who calls the emergency number to request an ambulance in an emergency?

If they do, do you know how much they charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

they charge alright. A few years ago when my sister came off her motorbike someone phoned an ambulance and a few days/week later a bill came in the door from the SHB for a few hundred quid. I cant remember the exact amount, maybe you'll be able to find some info on www.shb.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

I would have thought - maybe I'm completely wrong in thinking this - that the fire brigade would be much more expensive than an ambulance.

Though according to this link

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/fire_services.html

the fire brigade fee for chimney fires is between €90 & €130.

I wonder why the ambulance charge was a few hundred.

Originally posted by MazyMo
    I wonder why the ambulance charge was a few hundred.

maybe cos my sister is an awkward bitch? :D

...also, thought that fire brigade charge was per hour?!?

I found out from the Health Board that the minimum charge for an ambulance called out in an emergency situation to non-medical card holders is € 75

Journeys exceeding a 25 mile radius to the hospital are charged at € 3 per mile

The maximum charge is € 450.

So, maybe she was a long distance from the hospital??

Also, apparently in Cork City & Co.Cork the fire brigade do not charge for domestic fires.

Wow! Something that's free...

funny as it may seem... she was on the road outside the CUH. She could have limped or crawled the 500/600 metres to the A&E department. But no.. some moron called an ambulance for a minor accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rymus
    funny as it may seem... she was on the road outside the CUH. She could have limped or crawled the 500/600 metres to the A&E department. But no.. some moron called an ambulance for a minor accident.
    That brings up (what for me is) an interesting question.

Let's say you're lying half-dead on the street and I call an ambulance to take you to the hospital. Can they actually make you pay given that you didn't agree to the service?

(purely from a normal contract legal POV the answer would be a quick "no" but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience here)

rymus, if I was your sister I'd check with the hospital and ask why I was charged a few hundred.

She could possibly get a refund if they've overcharged; according to the figures they supplied me with, they should only have charged €75

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement