Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making MP3 cd's

• 07-07-2003 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem when I burn a MP3 cd. Some of the files dont get saved as MP3 files and won't play properly as a result.
    I think it's something to do with the length of the file name on the MP3. Is there a max file name length you need to stick to when burning MP3's on to a cd?
    Or maybe is there some extra setting (in Nero) to allow for long file names?

Just realised that this should probably be in Home Entertainment and not technology, sry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

my nero burning software seems to throw up a warning message to say it will trim the listed files it has found (I think the length limit is approx 130 characters)and gives me the option to continue or exit. I have tried continuing in some cases with no real hassles apart from the trimmed filenames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Newer versions of Nero warn you if the filename is too long and then renames it for you to something shorter. You can pick a different format so you can have longer characters.. the default is about 30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeah I get the trimmed filenames - that's probably why my MP3 discman probably can't read some tracks. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on the filename lengths then.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some MP3 players (like my car stereo) don't like Joliet format CDs. Check the docs for your MP3 player and see if anything like that is mentioned.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

it depends on the MP3 CD player.

once on my old one, a CD would stop being read while it was being scanned for tracks. it later turned out that the folder was too long for the player to cope with (even though it was inside the ISO CD standard, my particular player just didnt really like it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

in nero, long filenames will appear in italic...
    you should really get yourself a copy of it if you don't have it already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

they were WITHIN the legal CD layout. i do use nero, i considir it to be the best CD burning ap, among the many that I have used.

In fact, I dont think easy CD will even allow you to violate ISO9660 CD standards with long filenames, even if you want to. it was just a nasty MP3 Cd player, back when the idea of one was novel (Napa DAV311 or someting)

Advertisement