Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minocin

• 07-07-2003 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been taking minocin for about three weeks now , im not sure if its working yet,

just wondering have any of yea had any good/bad experiences with it ? ive been told it DOES work but only for a short time so its not an ultimate solution...

any of yea have any experiences with it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

i took it for a couple of months. and to be honest, it had little or no effect on my skin. but then i did have super-strength mutated alien acne*, and a lot of things didn't work.

*possibaly not the exact truth, but it was stronger than your average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Like nuvolari, I was on minocin for about 2 years and it did fcuk all for my skin. And like nuvolari, I had mutant acne that couldn't be hurt by conventional human weapons!!
    Went on a course of Roaccutane for six months and it cleared it up completely.
    And now they're back again...six months later. Shall be going back on the roaccutane next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

The only proven cure for acne is UV light, ie vitamin E which we get from sun light. Thats why tanned people rarly have spots. I would suggest getting some sun bed treatment.

Get a nice Tan AND have an excuse for it also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Did nothing for me.... And it's quite expensive as far as I remember..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

I was on Minocin for about 10 weeks. Didn't do willy for me either, and my acne is very light. Thought I saw an improvement after about 4 weeks, but it passed.

Give it at least another week, maybe two. It does work for some people.

The only proven cure for acne is UV light

Complete and utter bullsh*t. If there's a 'proven cure' for acne then why hasn't it been banished to the history books? Or at least the poor? Some people respond well to UV treatment and UV lamps, but there's no cure.

Contrary to what some people insist, sitting out in the sun isn't all that good for your skin as a whole, never mind for acne. Some sun is good, lots isn't. The 'improvement ' you'll see is most likely the superficial effect of redness seeming less obvious because your skin as a whole has gotten more red, or gone darker or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was on minocin for around as year to be honest its not much good, it made small differences but nothing major.
    But then again I suppose we all expect miracles or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

i feel your pain xx, i had to have my roaccutane dosaged upped and my course extended, but it was the only thing which worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Wolf
    Thats why tanned people rarly have spots.
    Black people get acne, which sort of knocks your theory on the ground....

:ninja:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

roaccutane is very heavy stuff, my brother was on it he was ok.

My sister went on it a few years before him and she had this really rare allergic reaction to it, her face got all blown up and she couldn't eat a thing for almost two weeksbecause her lips were also massive.

Hell they even took some photos to put in some medical books.
    weird stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah i was on Minocin. Lie most people here it did bugger all for me. Apparantly my acne wasn't bad enough for roaccutane (which is a total p.iss off cos even though it isn't "bad enough" it still annoys the s.hite outta me) Anyway they put me on Tetralysal (I think thats how you spell it) but said that it can take up to four months for a visible difference cos any sort of antibiotics for acne are a long term treatment and results often don't appear for a while. And gave me Quinoderm cream. Only been using it for about a month but it's not as bad as it used to be. Still bad enough for me to notice though :( Hope for the best anyway

And btw, some sun is good for your skin, but sunbeds do absolutely nothing. Also Diet and washing your face have little or nothing to do with it either according to the dermatologist I saw. (although you should keep washing cos you don't wanna be a smelly b.astard as well)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ajpiano

although i am not irish, i stumbled across this board from a friend of mine and figured i could be of help in this thread.

my doctor gave me minocin once, but at the same time he prescribed a topical cream called BenzaClin, and while the minocin did nothing, the BenzaClin worked wonders, it's absolutely fabulous. try to find out if you can get it.

--adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

I have been on roaccuatane twice over the last five years and stil too this day i have a problem with acne.Am considering going back to my dermotologist but tis very expensive for just a 5 min job to say your back on roaccutane.Made an appointment but didnt go as i couldnt afford the 160 euro.Any ideas anyone?I have mild acne, used to be really bad but not as much now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by DMT
    Black people get acne, which sort of knocks your theory on the ground....

:ninja:
    Tbh - darker skinned people don't necessarily go into the sun. Sun is very good for spots. One possible reason is that it reduces the amount of cerubum (sp) - oilyness in the skin. I am just hypothesising however. It is true though that people that are constantly sunbedded and tanned have leathery skin due to the cerubum being burned off as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

About the sunlight theory, I read recently that this doesn't really work, because forinstance if you're on holiday in a hot country your skin gets used to the heat and UV light, then when you come home, your spots will come back with avengence because you're not exposed to sunlight nearly as much

The only thing i've seen that's amazed me is that new laser treatment, I forget the name though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Similar to ajpiano's experience.

I was on Minocin for months (~6 months afaik) while using Topical tratments at the same time (there were two type of solution, the first weaker one started with a "Zy" or something but I could be getting confused with Zyclon B or Zyxel modems, the other was a thin frosted glass bottle, white label, blue logo).
    Anyways, the combination fo the two kicked arse, aside from one or two spots which appeared afterwards, everything was nice and fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I have suffered acne for many years now. I have tried many antibiotics and applications. Doctors/chemists informed me time and time again that diet had nothing to do with it and that I could continue on eating as many chocolate bars and packets of crisps that i wanted.
    I was only too happy to follow this instruction for a few years, but something was telling me I needed to investigate this further.

I can confirm from recent experience from experimentation that diet has a major part to play in acne.

Foods that cause your body's blood sugar level and corresponding insulin level to spike cause an increase sebum (oil) production, increasing acne. eg: bread,grains,sweets,white rice.
    If you are serious about getting rid of acne for good, then I would recommend you give up these items and eat plenty of unprocessed fruit and veg instead

If you are drinking soft drinks like Coke, 7up etc. then switch to water and you will see a big improvement.

Milk is also a no-no.. contrary to what they will tell you in school or in the mainstream media, milk is not really suitable for human consumption anyway. It contains cow hormones that certainly worsen acne considerably. I used to drink litres of Milk.. I switched to water and saw a big improvment.

Regarding taking antibiotics.. They will weaken your imune system, kill all of the good bacteria in your gut and put pressure on your liver. It really is crazy that doctors actually give these for acne.
    Apparently what antibiotics really do is reduce your sensitivity to sugar spikes temporarily and therefore show some lapse in acne for a short time. Doctors will have you believe they are killing the bacteria that causes acne but this does not seem to ring true and it has been shown that after a term of antibiotics, many peoples bad bacteria level is far in excess of what it was, prior to taking the drugs. Antibiotics do not distinguish between good and bad bacteria and so, when the good bacteria is killed, when the drug is stopped, the bad bacteria takes over where the good reigned before.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself off the antibiotics and on to a good pro-biotic.. eg acidophilus to restore your good bacteria levels and try to improve your diet. Remember.. Antibiotics are treating the symptoms and not the cause, which is something deeper, eg: diet, stress, lack of sleep etc.

To get a deeper understanding, Google is your friend..
    Here are some pages I have found useful:
    http://www.freeacnebook.com/
    http://www.waitalk.com/
    http://www.mercola.com/2002/dec/25/bread_acne.htm
    http://www.mercola.com/2003/jun/18/antibiotics_bacteria.htm
    http://www.mercola.com/article/Diet/milk/no_milk.htm&e=1043
    http://www.thiele.fptoday.com/ta/acnehome.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I think the bacteria have developed a resistance to it now, as it used to work grand for me, But now its effects are poor.

Also using quinoderm, strong stuff, Benzoyl Peroxide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Originally posted by David C
    Milk is also a no-no.. contrary to what they will tell you in school or in the mainstream media, milk is not really suitable for human consumption anyway. It contains cow hormones that certainly worsen acne considerably. I used to drink litres of Milk.. I switched to water and saw a big improvment.

please tell me you are taking the piss ? i drink two litres of milk per day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nothing for me good or bad... In the end i had to take RoAccutane.. been free for years :D Just the odd pimple now and again like everyone... No more acne though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

I have been on roaccutane twice now over the last few years and it alwways come back now.I dont really want to go back on it again as the last time i was on it it made my skin very dry plus i was really red all the time.Is diet really a factor as i dont eat junk food at all, just the odd time.I have a letter to go to a dermotologist in beaumont but i dont know if i show go or not as first of all they are going to charge me 160 euro to c them and say " that i have mild acne" and then all the repeat sessons.Will it be third time lucky as its really beginning to bother me again now, i avoid some situations at time if my acne is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm on Mycin...... dont know is that the same stuff? Cleared mine up a bit... at least I dont get really painfull spots anymore..... I dont know. My mother is against anything stronger tbh.

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Dont stop drinking milk, it is a vital source of calcium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

minocin was a waste for me too, although i dont think dermatologists will look at you until you've been on it for a while

Minor allergies cause spots so get these checked out, and virtually everyone is allergic to sugar so try cut that out.

For me Roaccutane's gone down a treat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement