Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Government power

Options
  • 07-07-2003 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

If 770,846 of the electorite voted for FF. Thats 41.5% of votes cast. With a turn out of 63%. The true representation of Irish electorite is more like 26.1%.... Takes account of those that didn't vote...
    Now lets look at the PDs. With 73,628 of the electorites votes. Thats just a small 4.0% of all votes cast. The true representation of which is just a small 2.5%.
    Why on this land of ours can a party thats gets fewer votes than the total number of seats in Croke Park and hold two Major seats of power in the government??

Michael McDowell is Evil. How can McDowell, who commands just 6093 votes and 18.8% of his constituancy run this country into the ground with power legislation in Retention of Data, Police State policies and general good old fashioned totaltarianism??

Sure McDowell. The Ex-FG has just formed a new movement i hear. "The Stars'n'strips Shirts" but apparently a similar organisation is claiming the use of the word shirts so he has resigned himself to the use of the gimp collar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Relax Chaos, next time round the voting will be happening electronically, on machines that we don't have the source code for, which have allready been shown to be vulnerable w.r.t. security.
    So odds are they'll simulate the votes that weren't cast... :rolleyes:

Oh well, if it's good enough for the americans, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

WRT your point of voter turnout. If people weren't so lazy as to not bother their arses voting, they have no right to complain about the mini-hitler we have as Min for Justice.

if you say there was no one you wanted to vote for then at least spoil your vote. Make a point of it.

If that doesn't suit you then run for Govt yourself. Get INVOLVED in the political process. Change doesn't come from people shouting from the outside, it comes from within the system.

Proportional Representation by the Single Transferrable Vote is the fairest way of doing things. I personally think that its fantastic that 73k voters can influence the govt. In theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

WRT your point of voter turnout. If people weren't so lazy as to not bother their arses voting, they have no right to complain about the mini-hitler we have as Min for Justice.
    I wasn't allowed to vote on McDowell's being elected as a TD - and neither were the majority of the population, since we don't live in his constituency.
    But even those that did live in his constituency didn't get to vote on whether or not he'd be Minister of Justice. That decision is taken by one person.
    So we have a perfect right to complain.
    you say there was no one you wanted to vote for then at least spoil your vote. Make a point of it.
    http://www.noneoftheabove.ie
    If that doesn't suit you then run for Govt yourself. Get INVOLVED in the political process. Change doesn't come from people shouting from the outside, it comes from within the system.
    As I've allready said:
    "Nope, that's not an answer for me. See, here's the thing. I enjoy my job. I worked hard for nearly twenty years to get to where I am. My family made a lot of sacrifices to give me the chance to get to where I am. And I'm not unique - most people under 30 can say similar things. And since there's another alternative option that gives me a vote without giving up my life (not just my job, but my personal privacy, my professional career, in short, my life) to politics. And even if I do run for political office, if elected I am bound to represent the views of other people even if they conflict with mine, that's why it's called representative democracy."
    Proportional Representation by the Single Transferrable Vote is the fairest way of doing things
    Agreed - but it's not done right here, w.r.t. the transferral of votes.

Advertisement