Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educom

Options
  • 07-07-2003 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

There was an interesting article on Educom in the business section of yesterday’s Sunday Tribune.
    Is there anyone here who is using their service or knows someone who is using it ?
    I just want to know how much it costs.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

ummm ... www.educom.ie / www.orbitlink.ie

you must be *really* stuck to consider forking out for it :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

you'd want to be very desperate for broadband to shell out the money their talking about for this service. The cheapest option is only 400kb/s down, 128kb/s up, installation of €361 a security deposit of €724, a monthly cost of €205 and a measily 400MB daily CAP. No thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

typical VSAT price, ruthless cap and €100 a month ex vat minimum

Installation over €1k usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

400MB a day is somewhere between 11 and 12 GB a month, so could be worse.

There are three Irish satellite providers that I know of offering two way service right now; Mediasat, Digiweb and Educom (yes I am aware of Web-Sat, but they do not actually offer a service at this time). The first two are based on Satlynx, while Educom is based on Hughes.

I am using Mediasat. No cap, free install and free equipment, but a hefty 216 euro monthly subscription (supposed to come down to 160 soon). If anyone wants to test it please feel free to PM me, though bear in mind I am based in County Mayo.

Download speeds usually average around 70k/sec, upload speeds around 20k/sec. Due to the hefty price, you would only want to consider this if you need an always-on broadband connection and are unlikely to see ADSL becoming available in your area for at least another 1-2 years or more. Also, gaming is not recommended (I tried Quake, and although it works, the latency makes it pretty much unplayable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Saw the advertorial in the Tribune and intended to check it out. The costs are pretty much as expected.

Just wondering if anyone has the knowledge and can provide an insight into whether we can assume satelite will always be the expensive option?

Will it ever even out. I mean it seems a bit of a shame cos the demand would definitely be there..if you think of all the 2 & 3 world countries without the infrastructure for the conventional copper option,

Suppose popin a satelite into space aint a cheap affair:D ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

That's put the lid on that so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The problem is not just that satellites are expensive to build and launch, but that only a limited number of users may be connected to each "transponder". And that is not even considering the cost of connection equipment that must be installed at the home or business.

That said, while satellite will always be a lot more expensive than DSL or cable based access (you would be insane to think otherwise), at least in the U.S. things are beginning to look up a little in terms of price:

http://www.starband.com/directsales/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    if you think of all the 2 & 3 world countries without the infrastructure for the conventional copper option,.
    Two articles on the BBC news site that might be of relevance to this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3025734.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3025490.stm

(for those interested only, obviously it's not within IOFFL's remit to be directly concerned with Timbucktoo's connection to Bamoko)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the info urban weigl & sceptre.

The starband offering looks reasonable. I have searched through the site and it mentions an acceptable use policy but nothing about a cap. If they live up to what their offering, then i would go for something like this if it were available here.
    The only thing that was of concern was being locked in for three years.

Now, if they can afford to offer this in the states, i cant understand why someone cant offer a similar deal accross europe. Course we have some form of licencsing red tape when it comes to two way connnections dont we? Urban weigl - do you have a license..how much does the license cost, does it have to be renewed?

Advertisement