Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myth Busting Pt. 1 - The licence process

Options
  • 07-07-2003 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Like most people, you are probably confused or curious about how one gets a radio licence. Here is a short seven step outline of how it has been done in the past:

1. Frequencies are allocated for a new station(s) - This was the major sticking point thus far. The BCI claim that there were no frequencies to licence. But lo! Recently four frequencies have been found for the dublin area.

2. The BCI call for a submission of interest - Any group who is interested in these frequencies can now say "I'd like to have a licence please." in writing.

3. The BCI starts the licencing proceedure - This is an official call to interested parties to submit an extensive document outlining every part of the proposed operation. Last time around ours was 84 pages long with an equally long appendix.

4. The BCI shortlist the applicants - After considering the documents they receive they can cut the applicants down to a group they feel have the best proposals. We have been shortlisted twice and continued to the oral hearings.

5. The BCI hold oral hearings - The shortlisted applicants make a presentation before the BCI committee and a gallery of the public after which the committee can ask questions to the applicant group.

6. The BCI give out a set of written questions - These questions are very specific to the group's application. The applicants have about a week to respond to these questions.

7. The BCI announce a winning group - This group then must sign a contract with the BCI concerning their broadcasts based on their application and BCI regulations.

NOTE: This process can stop at any time. Even at the end of stage 6, the BCI do not have to give out a licence which is what happened to us the first time we applied.

Right now we are at stage 2.

Is this good news? Well it would be if the BCI weren't disbanding this October. We'll keep you posted.

What can you do to help? Fill out the Listener Survey on our front page!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Howaya Pete

Will the disbandment of the current committee really affect the process; will it really be a major setback? I thought the recommendations that are to be made by the current bunch will be passed onto the next lot who will take it from there, no?
    Surely if the changing hands business is a disadvantage then it's equally so for everyone involved. Ah sure I don't know. I'd like to say "but surely the BCI would do their utmost to ensure that the changing of the committee doesn't affect the licencing", but, well, I'd look a fool if I said that..... :) Bless their little hearts.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Yeah one would hope. Here's what we are concidering. The BCI haven't got time to complete a licencing process before they are gone and even if they did the minister for communications has stated that the process is flawed.

Any attempt to licence a station using a "flawed" system could keep a new station and the BCI in the courts for years before you'd ever hear a peep out of them on FM.

Ahhh it's all too much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

During the oral hearings what part do the members of the public play?

How are these "members of the public" selected to sit in on these oral hearings?

Are they selected by the B.C.I. or do they just turn up?

I've been to three of these hearings. Twice as an applicant member and once as Joe Public. As I remember I just turned up and sat down. That was a long time ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

As a member of the public gallery it is your duty to shut up and sit down. You don't have any say in the proceedings or get to ask questions to either the BCI Committee or the applicants. They may have coffee and bikkies for you if you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

So pretty much you're just there for aesthetic value?

Seems a bit pointless to me.

I would have assumed there would be some sort of interaction between the public and the BCI/applicant. Would be interesting to attend I suppose, I'm not one to turn my nose up at tea and biccies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Free coffee and bikkies sounds great in fairness! Is there any word on how the 'flawed' system is to be improved?

I miss phantom sorely. I even miss Sun 80's now...

We are eagerly awaiting a response from the minister of communications. Right now it's an unfortunate waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 edhunter

why don't they give youse a license just for persistance???
    "ah, here ye are lads, we where only winding yez up for the last 5 years, c'mon lets go to the pub" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

8¬()

Er who are u?

Me scared now:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

so if, hopefully, phantom makes it to the oral hearings, would it be a good idea for hundreds of phantom devotees to show up, pledge support etc (Bring banners crying 'F.uck the whales, save the phantom' and others of equally witty natures?)
    anything we can do other than the survey?

xx

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that kind of thing would do us any favours although it would make a nice scene in a movie.

As per helping out. As a member of the listening public, filling out the survey is all we need right NOW. If you are in a band or other part of the music industry and have shared the benefits of Phantom FM being on the air, why don't you send us a letter of endorsement. Jot down how phantom has helped you and why a service like phantom is important to dublin's scene.

You can send it electronically to briand@phantomfm.com
    or the old way to:

P.O. Box 6721
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co. Dublin

Mark it "We need phantom"

Thanks

Actually all this talk of Witnness has sparked another important thing. If you're in a band then please mention us on stage!

Advertisement