Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD 2nd yr CompSci, What prog lang ne1?

• 07-07-2003 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I just did 1st year in UCD, General Science. We did Java in 1st year (good ol' Fred), and I got Computer Science next year. I'm just wondering what computer programming language do you do in second year. Do you stick with Java, or do anything else?

It's just that I'm starting to realise how slow Java can be, and I want to learn another programming language, and it'd be handy to do one I'm doing next year (ie Sept).

It's impossible to find out via www.ucd.ie, and the little blue book ain't great either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

More Java next year.

There are 2 modules - Data Structures and Algorithms I & II which are done through Java. They'll give you a good understanding of OOP concepts (if you go to practicals). But I love Java.

There will also be Lisp, and possibly Verilog. The course changes from year to year, but that's what I did in 2nd Year (last year).

Verilog isn't a programming language, but is very like a programming language. Lisp is a programming language, but probably unlike anything you've ever seen before.

I would advise doing some of the basics of the 2 of these over the summer (Even just learning what they are and what they do would be a *massive* benefit). You'll be miles ahead of everyone else in your course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Thanks man. It's a help. The blue book for 1st year doesn't mention anything about Java, just wishy-washy stuff.

Practicals? You mean those 25 minute things? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by seamus

I would advise doing some of the basics of the 2 of these over the summer (Even just learning what they are and what they do would be a *massive* benefit). You'll be miles ahead of everyone else in your course :)

Could take a look at the lisp website if you want http://www.cs.ucd.ie/courses/Undergrad/BSc/SecondYear/cs2-3/ (had 3 lecturers for lisp)
    to get a flavour, also here's a good lisp primer http://grimpeur.tamu.edu/~colin/lp/

also did some html (website project)

Advertisement