Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael: A family at War

Options
  • 07-07-2003 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Never got a chance to watch the three-part series of Fine Gael: A family at war, believe it is excellent , has anyone got a copy of the series on video?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It was a very good series particularly the final eposode. It was very well made.

I would love to see a similar series on FF during the Haughy years - but unfortunately many to those involved have passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Somehow I think that they'd be more likely to avoid participation for fear of incrimination rather than anything else. But at least we'd finally get to hear where the provo's seed capital came from, from the people that (in all liklihood, damn the libel laws) gave it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

no doubt that if there was a series made about ff the would control the whole thing and everything incriminating and seedy about the party (which is quite alot) would be swept under the carpret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DTV

Does nobody have a copy of the series on video, please

I think a programme of this quality will be repeated sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

here's a piece I wrote about the program:

http://www.eire.com//blogarchives/000039.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 poneill

it dribbled to a halt

why did nobody try to find out what they stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

why did nobody try to find out what they stand for?
    They tried, but if FG themselves don't know, what hope had RTE of figureing it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Michael Laver of TCD did extensive research at grassroots level into what Fine Gael stood for. This research wasn't discussed at all in the program.

Standing for something is greatly overrated as a virtue when it comes to political parties. The most successful party in the history of the State doesn't stand for anything (other than election).

a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

1. They're a centralist party
    2. They're the anti-FF party - one party who are gauranteed never to go into coalition with FF.
    3. They're a pro establishment party - conservatives.

There is more I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

What I found appalling about this and about Fine Gael's predicament in general was that pretty much everyone, from Enda Kenny down, admitted that the party had no policies and stood for nothing. So why is no one asking, "Why the hell are you running for office then?" The emphasis for rebuilding the party is all on finding some populist policies they can run on. Basically they are admitting they are only in politics for personal gain. Does no one else find this disgraceful?

I think some Fgs would be more at home in either the PDs of Labour. I seriously believe Enda has his work cut out for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by antoinolachtnai
    Standing for something is greatly overrated as a virtue when it comes to political parties. The most successful party in the history of the State doesn't stand for anything (other than election).
    True. Look also at New Labour in Britain who basically modified and diluted their core ideology in order to oust the Tories.

Problem for FG in Ireland is that there is already a succesful populist party. I don't see how they can compete on this basis. Neither can they simply invent a stand. Parties need to have this from the beginning otherwise they are viewed with cynicism.

Advertisement