Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witnness - Lowdown

• 07-07-2003 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Right, Less than a week left till Witnness.

As it's my first time going, I dont have a clue of what to bring etc.

Also any tips from people who have gone in previous years would be nice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

you didnt say if you are camping or not!

I wasnt at last year but was the times before. Absolutly classic weekends. Bring tent, loads of old clothes (might be muddy), Sleepin bag, some food maybe cos its seriously expensive and crap on the site. Above all bring bogroll!!!!!!!!!! Dont need much else really, Im bringin plenty of money this year cos i ran well short last time and there's no pass machines at the venue. Food and beer are expensive as usual and the beer tastes like piss so bring plenty of cans (no glass bottles!) or you can buy them from blokes there.

You used to be able to have a campfire which was class but they've stopped all that and tightned down security as well so theres not as much messin.

Will be a class weekend whatever the weather. Im not really goin fot the bands, im goin for the craic i'll have with me mates which i think is the best part of it!

Take a look at www.witnness.com for more info and tips on what to bring!

If you fall over some drunk ugly bloke with an irish flag draped around him mumbling about how cold the ground is that's me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Lol, yea, camping :)

Thanks for that.. Wouldn't have taught of the bog roll :cool:

I'm under 18, but might be able to get an 'aul ID, but just in case, whats the story with the under-18's?

Will there be special wrist bands given out instead of the normal over-18's one? Do they search you on your way in?

ATM's/extra drink shouldnt be a problem really. Witnness was moved to Punchestown this year, which is only a mile or two outside Kildare or Nass town (cant remember really). Was at Eminem two weeks ago in Punchestown and walked the last 4 miles to the concert... not smart.

What about tent security? Will it be ok to leave clothes/drink/sleeping bag there during the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Lo..
    If you have them... wear hiking boots..... and bring gators, they are so handy if its wet and mucky.
    And a swiss army, not the whole army , just the knife.

M.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Lifesavers:

-Toothbrush+paste
    -Masking tape (saved my ife at reading when the tent pole snapped)
    -String
    -BOG ROLL (mans best friend on a camp site

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by conZ
    I'm under 18, but might be able to get an 'aul ID, but just in case, whats the story with the under-18's?
    B]

From Witnness.com...

"Important details for under 18s at festival

Witnness is an over 18s event but we do allow under 18s on site if they are accompanied by a parent or suitable guardian. The last thing we want to do is turn people away (but we may have to) so please read this carefully so you know what you need to do and bring to get into Witnness.

Every person aged under 18 MUST be accompanied by a parent or a suitable guardian. Arrive together.
    We will check everyone's ID when they arrive (parent/guardian/under 18).
    Go to the special tent in the box office areas marked “Under 18s” where you and your parent/guardian can go through the checking process.

If you arrive with a guardian, we may also call your parents to check they are happy with the guardian you have brought.
    Guardians need to sign a form and give relevant contact numbers - their and your mobile numbers (if you have one) and your parents’ landline.
    By having everything ready you should be able to get in really quickly.

Stick together on site. Be safe and have fun.
    Please remember that these plans are all about ensuring you are looked after on site which goes for everyone coming along, whatever the age.
    We look forward to seeing you there and we hope you enjoy the festival.

Click here to download the consent form (everyone under 18 will have to fill this in with their parent/guardian). If you fill it in now it means you've got all the details with you when you arrive at Witnness which will help get you rockin' all the quicker (assuming event staff are happy you've brought someone suitable and can call your parents if they feel the need).
    FILL IT IN NOW. "

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Milkman
    If you have them... wear hiking boots

Even better/cheaper are "working booths", should be something under 30 euro.

BTW the times are now up at...
    http://www.witnness.com/lineup.php

Originally posted by Milkman
    And a swiss army, not the whole army , just the knife.

Yea if you dont want to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

There's not a huge lot of stuff that you need to bring, most of it's been covered: food, bogroll, money, drink(not just beer, bring some water, buying it on site is expensive, if the weather's really hot drink lots of water as heatstroke is no fun at all.).

SUNCREAM - might sound stupid given that this is ireland, but spending the second day of the festival in your tent not being able to move due to sunburn is a bad thing.

Don't bring anything that can't be replaced easily and cheaply, no one really gives a toss what you're wearing.
    You don't need a huge amount of clothes, and don't bring any nice clothes cuz there's bound to be mud somewhere. and bring sommit to keep the rain off, you can get rain ponchos from army surplus stores, they fold up really small(pocket size) and do a grand job of keeping you dry, black plastic bags work too.

You should probably bring a couple of black plastic bags actually, for picking up after yourself, and thay're handy to sit on if the ground's wet or muddy.

In terms of security the chances of getting stuff robbed out of your tent is fairly low, but it dies happen, generally people who are going to rob your tent will just grab whatever's readily available, so if you leave all your stuff in a rucksack it's much more likely to go missing than if you take everything out and force the thieves to spend more time searching than they really like to.

And finally stating the blatantly obvious If you do feel it necessary to bring something valuable try to keep it on you and not in your tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Monument, i read that on witnness.com, but what I wanted to know was
    Will there be special wrist bands given out instead of the normal over-18's one?

They didn’t do so last year, but they could possibly do it this year as I’m told they are been extra careful since Guinness is been more clearly associated with Witnness.

A lot of people just didn’t know that Witnness is sponsored by Guinness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement