Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding a fifth ide device

• 08-07-2003 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i've got four sockets in use(2 hard drives ,a dvd-rom and a cd/rw)
    i wish to add a dvd-r drive what do i need to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Normal Motherboards can only support up to 4 devices (2 ports and 2 slots on each ide cable). After that you need a RAID or IDE Card (Fit into a PCI slot).

Any normal IDE card should cost you between €10 - €30 on the Classifieds Board.

The IDE Card works the same as your motherboard, 2 slots on the card, and you connect your extra devices (HDD/CDRW) to the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Maplins have them for €35
    This card will allow a max of another 4 devices also includes raid capabilites
    I got one a few months ago works very well. except id delays boot by 20-30 secs
    By keeping drives on seprate ide lines makes for a vast improvement in preformance. Eg you can read a cd and burn at the same time, complete CD takes about 3 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Be forewarned that some RAID IDE controllers do not support ATAPI devices.

So if you purchase one you will have to move your hard disks over to the card, and use the onboard IDE for all your ATAPI (CD) devices. In that case, remember to install the new controller and drivers before you move the disks across (on NT derived systems anyway).

D.

I have my DVD drive and 2 HDD's running on the card I mentioned above
    and have my primary HDD and my CD-rw on the onboard lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by deckie27

I've a 2 channel (4 device) RAID controller that I bought from Maplins prior to the yoyo changeover - it was about £45, and the doc says it doesn't support ATAPI devices. When I was in Maps (Dub City Centre) the other day, I saw the same card. I'm running 2x20gb drives mirrored on it, but I never tried ATAPI devices, so I suppose either my docs are wrong, or maybe the firmware was upgraded in the meantime?

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

if it's a half-decent dvd-r drive you're adding, you shouldn't need the cdrw anyway - problem solved!

check komplett for cheap decent combo [dvd(+-)r/rw & cd-r] drives.

RC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by deckie27

whats the name of that card deckie

Controller in maplins I think this is it.

The brand name is CMD afaik
    I was a bit confussed at first when looking at the box= inst.
    as I seen CMD as command ie dos

dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Promise make very good cards of this sort. They are generally called outboard ide controllers.

I stuck one of These into a box recently

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

When adding more IDE devices, dont forget to watch the power consumption !! :)

Advertisement