Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions in this PC

• 08-07-2003 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at this PC from jaguarcompsys.ie and to me it looked fairly good for a reasonable price. I wasn't the PC mainly for Games so i will need a new video card:

Processor
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz

Mainboard
    ECS Elite P4S5A/DX+

Memory
    256MB DDR 2100 (max 2GB)
    (or upgrade:)512MB DDR + €30

Hard Drive
    40GB 5400rpm
    (or upgrade:) 60GB 7200rpm + €20
    (or upgrade:)80GB 7200rpm + €30

Floppy Drive
    1.44mb

Graphics
    S3 Savage4 Onboard
    (or upgrade:)ATI Radeon 7000 64mb + €45

CD
    52X CD-ROM
    (or Upgrade:)52X CD-RW + €42
    16X DVD + €36
    COMBO DVD+CDRW +€69

Case
    E-Star Deluxe ATX w/300W PSU

Modem
    Neto Dragon 56k v.92 Internal

Network
    Realtek 100mbps RJ-45

Sound
    Onboard CMI (9738) 4-Channel AC-97
    (or Upgrade:)Creative Labs SB 4.1 Digital + €45

Speakers
    240 Watt A/C Powered Desktop
    (or Upgrade:)680 Watt A/C 2.1 Channel with Subwoofer + €19

Keyboard
    112 Key PS/2
    (or Upgrade:)Logitech Silver Dragonfly Keyboard + €8

Mouse
    2 Button 520 DPI PS/2
    (or Upgrade:)Logitech Silver Optical Mouse + €7

Warranty
    1 Year Back to Base

Price
    €429.00 (ex VAT)

Now i will have to ask for the make of the parts etc. But apart from the video card, this seems like a fast computer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

damn it, "i want* the PC mainly for gaming"
    and they should be colons, not smiley faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Ya, sounds like a pretty nifty machine. I purchased my last machine from them and they were really sound. However, Ya can only pay by cheque. I had the cash ready for the delivery man, but he said he could only take cheques. I rang up jaguar and they said I could hang on to the PC and send up a cheque later in tthe week... Pretty sound methinks

Go for it man..

cool,yeah, it sound good to me.
    what are the minimum requirments for a good gaming pc?
    What should i add or upgrade to if i was to but that machine?
    Does there look like there are any dodgy parts?
    btw the link is http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/systems/index.htm
    its the first one one at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

It looks good. I'd go for the upgrade they offer on the hard-drive and possibly the RAM. If I were to upgrade the GFX card I'd buy my own rater than the one they offer for upgrade there.
    The card they offer is pretty good but you'd probably want to upgrade it in a year anyway then.

I just did a google for the motherboard and it seems quite good (I didn't notice if it supports hyperthreading or not).
    It has 2 DDR 333MHz slots and 2 SDRAM 133MHz slots. You cant use the DDR and the SD at the same time. It also supports 4x AGP and not the new 8x version. Not too big a deal though.
    More Details Here

It uses the SIS645DX chipset. Get info here It'll tell you pretty much what the board supports.
    Scroll to the bottom of that page to get a brief summary of it's capabilities. They will determine your upgrade capabilities.
    If you decide to buy the computer I'd print off that page for future reference.
    All in all it looks like a good buy for a mid to high spec computer.
    Actually scratch that, I just noticed the price you posted. I'd consider that a great buy for the price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

All in all it looks like a good buy for a mid to high spec computer.
    Actually scratch that, I just noticed the price you posted. I'd consider that a great buy for the price!! [/B][/QUOTE]
    ^ I agree with you ^

That is alright price for what you are getting i would maybe upgrade the ram and the HDD ,GFX card.

What about the monitor?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

that motherboard is awful :( thats the type of crap that makes it worth ur while building ur own pc, ask them do they have an abit BH7/BE7/BD7II which would be a better choice

Yeah, i'd definitely only buy it with the upgrade on HD and RAM. I have a moniter that shouldn't cause problems. All i really want is the box. I don't need a keyboard/mouse etc so i'll see if there is a comprimise.What is the problem with the motherboard?
    As i said, i'd be using it for gaming, so will that do the job?With the upgrades, it should be about €600. Is that worth it?

motherboard will be a very poor performer and the older sis chipsets werent the best stability wise

heres from komplett minus a gfx card a nice sys for e660 or so:

111590 Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Boxed PC533
    - Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood" In stock:
    100+ 195,64 195,64
    117722 Abit IS7-E Mianboard for S478/800mhz
    - I865PE,SATA,ATX,Dual-DDR, LAN In stock: 20-49 103,54 103,54
    113548 TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    - RAM 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz) In stock:
    100+ 87,79 87,79
    109496 NEC Floppy Drive 3,5" 1,44MB FD1231H
    - Floppy Drive Internal In stock: 1 15,39 15,39
    113647 Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
    - DiamondMax Plus 9 In stock:
    100+ 86,60 86,60
    115645 LG CD recorder IDE 48x/24x/48x/16x Combo
    - "Super-Link" (GCC-4480B) Internal Retail In stock:
    100+ 75,03 75,03
    108590 Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Black
    - Case w/360W power, DX-01B-D, P4/AMD (UK) Maybe
    15.07.2003 105,76 105,76
    Surcharges: 0,00
    Total: 669,75

Originally posted by Cyrus
    that motherboard is awful :( thats the type of crap that makes it worth ur while building ur own pc, ask them do they have an abit BH7/BE7/BD7II which would be a better choice

What's wrong with the motherboard? It's a mid level spec with reasonable features suited to someone who doesn't want to spend the money getting a top-of-the-line machine.
    It will perform quite well (It is a P4 board with 533MHz bus) and within the next 2 years (time I predict it to start showing it's age) it can be quite easily upgraded to todays high spec boards at a much lower cost (they'll fit, it's an ATX case).

I just looked at the lnk for the case aswell and I think it's quite easy on the eyes :)
    If you feel like bringing it more up to spec immediately then you could add an SB Audigy 1 sound card for approx. €100, Speakers (5.1 digital will cost about €200 to €500 depending on quality) and a DVD drive (about €60 on www.Komplett.ie for a Sony model)

If it were my choice I'd have very little quams going for a machine like that.

i dunno years ago id have agreed with you but tbh nowadays i feels it worth spending a bit extra now rather than skimping and thinking a few months on i really should have got such and such.

take for example the case, its a cheap tacky pos in my opinion, sure it looks okay but have u ever tried working in one of those things? youll need the band aids ready.

personally i like coolermaster cases but if ur on a budget the chieftec/antec line cant be beaten for quality or the very good psu that comes with them

as for the mobo, no board that offers support for both ddr and sdr ram is worth having because the ddr is bottleknecked by the board offering sdr support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Tbh I agree with Cyrus. Spend a little bit more and get quality parts, you won't be disappointed.

I've used ECS boards before and they're pretty bad. Really flakey. Odds are the board will probably even break and you'll have to replace it with something good. We had the same idea, oh we need a board quickly it's cheap it can't be that bad. Right. SIS chipsets aren't the best either. If you think you'll change board in a few months I'm sure it won't be a problem but if you plan on keeping the system longer, definitely get something better like an Asus/Abit board.

Thinking back, didn't someone here on the boards work in a PC shop before and complain about all the faulty ECS boards they got back?

As far as cases go, Antec/Chieftec cases are very reasonably priced, come with lots of little extras and are very good build/quality. Most of them as Cyrus said come with decent power supplies so that'll save you having to buy a seperate one. Cheap cases come with cheap/nasty power supplies that'll flake out on you aswell. Weak cheapy power supplies could mean problems. Problems when you put lots of gear in the PC, lots of memory, harddrives, a good graphics card, extra parts, they all suck up power. Happens far too much that people complain about stability problems or crashing games when it's all down to the wonky power supply they transferred over from their old system. I like the Lanboy personally, don't think it's to everyone's tastes and it isn't a big heavy steel case like some prefer but it's very compact and light, great for LANs.

Want a good budget graphics card, I still say the GF 4 Ti4200 is a great card. I'm still using it in my second system and it runs all my games at 1280x1024 very nicely. Mmmm.

The Komplett bundle deals are great. If you want to build a system yourself (really! It can be a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot about PCs, it's really not as hard as it seems) or have a friend taht can do it I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise go for a PC like the one you linked to. Seems like a decent deal, but bear in mind you'll probably have to upgrade the parts in the not-too-distant future.

Originally posted by Cyrus
    -Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Boxed PC533
    Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood"
    -Abit IS7-E Mianboard for S478/800mhz
    I865PE,SATA,ATX,Dual-DDR, LAN
    -TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    RAM 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)
    -NEC Floppy Drive 3,5" 1,44MB FD1231H
    Floppy Drive Internal
    -Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
    DiamondMax Plus 9
    -LG CD recorder IDE 48x/24x/48x/16x Combo
    "Super-Link" (GCC-4480B) Internal Retail
    -Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Black
    Case w/360W power, DX-01B-D, P4/AMD (UK)

Surcharges: 0,00
    Total: 669,75

This spec that Cyrus posted is quite good but as he said it doesn't include a graphics card and the Motherboard doesn't seem to have anything in the way of on-board graphics so for games you'd need to get a GFX card. Depending on your tastes for quality you would be spending about €150 to €300 on it.
    As an aside I'd get 2 sticks of 256MB RAM to take advantage of the dual DDR capability as opposed to 1 512MB stick.

Anyway, with the GFX card added in the price is umphed up to at least €850. Almost twice the price of the jaguar systems one!

I'd agree with Cyrus again about spending a bit extra on the motherboard, every upgrade you want to do depends on it. Other than the motherboard I might spend extra on the GFX card but other than that I'd watch my wallet. :)
    But then would Jaguar let you specify what motherboard or GFX card you want in it?

Koneko has had bad experiences with the ECS boards so I'd take that into account. It's a first hand reference.

As for cases, i don't know that much about the different makes but what I'd look for is four 5 1/4 inch drive bays, two 3 1/2 inch external drive bays and at least three 3 1/2 inch internal drivebays.
    If you can get one with a power supply in it all the better.

Personally I'd recommend building the PC yourself. It's not that difficult and you'd know exactly what parts are in your PC. There's no substitute for that.
    The only part of it you may need help with is inserting the CPU. They can be delicate.
    Let us know what you think.

As an aside I'd get 2 sticks of 256MB RAM to take advantage of the dual DDR capability as opposed to 1 512MB stick.

ooops originally meant to spec a bh7 but the is7-e is so cheap i chose that and forgot about two sticks of ram!!!

The only part of it you may need help with is inserting the CPU. They can be delicate.

true for amd cpus but its nigh on impossible to break a p4 in my experience :)

finally the jag sys with the ram and hd upgrades is e600 so i think the rig i specced for 650 is superior and for the gpu id really try get a G4 ti4200 which is still a decent card or if ur broke a s/h geforce 3 which isnt bad either

thanks for the info.
    I wouldn't have a problem Building the PC myself its just deciding on the bits is the problem. Can anyone give me a site that explaings how to get all your hardware setting?it would be easier to say what i need if i can tell you what i have.I know i could use device manager but what about the mobo? I have a feeling that i would need to change it. Also im running a P3 and would prolly need an upgrade,requiring a new mobo.

"But then would Jaguar let you specify what motherboard or GFX card you want in it?"

What If i change the motherboard? Is the motherboard the only prob?(along with the video card?).Is it powerful enough for all games?(if i buy a new card?).I'll get on to them and see.

I can't really use the "shell out the extra cash" idea as im only 16!

I was talking to the computer guy where i work and he said that you only really need more ram and a good video card, but i think that if i want the computer above adverage and to what i want i will need new RAM,new hardrive,new motherboard,processor and video card which = €€'s

I agree with the building your own computer, i would prefare to do it-more sense of accompishment! and i would be able to fix it wasier and i would learn a lot.I'll get back to you's with the specs in full (hoperfullY)

Thanks again

tell me exaactly how much cash u want to spend and what exactly u need and ill give u a decent spec :)

I've compiled a high spec system for you to look at on the premise that you have a Hard drive, Floppy drive, CD/DVD drive, monitor and Keyboard/mouse already. The parts are taken from www.Komplett.ie and www.Elara.ie
    So here goes :)

From Komplett,
    Asus P4P800 Mainboard for S478/800mhz €139,51
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Boxed PC800 €219,57
    2x TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2 €122,78
    Asus V9280 GeForce4 Ti4200-8X 128MB DDR €137,19

Shipping: €14,23

That totals up to;

Total: €633,28

From Elara;
    Antec SLK2600/MT 300W 4x5.25 €75.98
    (The manufacturers code is SLK2600AMB. Its the same case, I checked)

Shipping: €10.89

That totals up to;

Total: €86.87

Both together give you;

Grand Total: €720.15

So that's a system that would be worthy of any gamers admiration and it's around the level I'll be looking at to get myself in the next couple of months.
    If you can manage to stretch the budget that extra bit further you'd be kicking ass :)
    ("PLEEEAAASSSEEE Mom! I'll cut the grass for a year!!!" :p I might end up doing some of that myself too :))

PS. Has anyone else found Elaras site really slow? I'm on a very high speed Broadband connection and I may as well be on a 28Kbps line!
    PPS Their delivery charge of €9 doesn't include VAT when added it's more like €10.89

i could also save u e119 on the cpu ;) i have a pentium 4 mobile that will sit at 12*200 (2.4 gigs) in a springdale mobo in the fs section of the boards :D

wow, thanks for that. I wasn't expecting so much help!
    that setup, you have there raz look good. I don't think ui'd even need the box, so that would save me €90.Can you collect the goods or do they have to be shipped? Will i be able to install a new processor on my own do you think?

Having two 256mb Ram modules is better than one 512mb one i presume? Which reminds me. If i do make up this new computer, i will have a ram module left over from my previous computer, so will i be able to throw that in aswell, making even more RAM??

I still have to get all my specs for the PC so that will probably help.
    I know that its a Dell Optiplex GX110, P3 7xxMhz(Can't remember exactly what)

What about AMD processors, are they any use?!

btw, i was looking at the P4 processors.Apart from Cypus's idea, jaguarcompsys.ie had a 2.66ghz for €195

could i have a link to your topic bout selling the P4? i can't find it.
    Thats seems like a good over if your serious. WHats the condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I think you will still need a new case, the new motherboards are "ATX" - should be a different size to your dell. Also dell are renouned for having different power supply setups , so chances are the power supply u have will only work with a dell motherboard - sucks i know.

As for the RAM you prob have Sdram which is not compatable with the newer DDR ram - so you wont be able to pop in your dell ram.

The 2 modules of RAM is better as it takes advantage of the Dual DDR capability of your motherboard - better performance.

• Advertisement

ok heres some info on the PC:
    (msinfo32)
    Pentium III

OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CPU
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model OptiPlex GX110
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~731 Mhz
    BIOS Version Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
    User Name CPU\Tim
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 194,796 KB
    Available Physical Memory 43,692 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 663,964 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 366,792 KB
    Page File Space 469,168 KB

any other info needed?

Also, the mother board on this computer is L shaped, the PCI slots, are on a seperate panel that slot in perpendicular to the main motherboard. Is this regular?

I attached a paint picture!! It sorta shows what i mean. The Green is the Mobo and the attached PCI panel. Blue is the sound card,modem etc.

Edit: Yeah, im now seeing that i will need a new box. The smaller items shouldn't be a problem to get.(eg. Power, ribbons etc)
    Yeah the RAM is SDRAM (128mb) so you're right.
    I decided to make this a "project"!! So i'll start from scratch

Im thinking of looking in Buyandsell for parts. Is that i good or bad idea. Is buying new a must with PC parts?

Originally posted by TimAy
    Also, the mother board on this computer is L shaped, the PCI slots, are on a seperate panel that slot in perpendicular to the main motherboard. Is this regular?
    Most definitely not regular. I have a very similar PC at my desk here in work. You won't be fitting any normal motherboards in that case.
    Edit: Yeah, im now seeing that i will need a new box. The smaller items shouldn't be a problem to get.(eg. Power, ribbons etc)
    Yeah the RAM is SDRAM (128mb) so you're right.
    I decided to make this a "project"!! So i'll start from scratch
    You won't need to get power cables, ribbons ect. All cables needed for connecting the motherboard (eg. IDE) will come with the motherboard.
    If you get a case with a power supply then the Kettle Lead (big black power lead) should come with it plus any other cables necessary to use extended functions of the case eg. front mounted USB.
    You'll only need cables if you need to replace some.
    As you've noted the SDRAM won't work in that motherboard I pointed out. DDR RAM only.
    Deffinitely make a project out of it :) And when you have it built and you're bored again you could then start modding it :D Make it a real Modders project :p
    Im thinking of looking in Buyandsell for parts. Is that i good or bad idea. Is buying new a must with PC parts?
    It really depends who you end up buying off. New PC parts is in no way a must.
    If you buy second hand make sure you get to see the component working. You should also make sure you get any driver CDs and manuals that came with the component, a box would be nice if they still had it. :)
    wow, thanks for that. I wasn't expecting so much help!
    When someone appears to be listening to my opinion I tend to go all out :)
    Can you collect the goods or do they have to be shipped? Will i be able to install a new processor on my own do you think?
    With Elara you can collect the goods but with Komplett, being that they ship from Norway, I think you'd be better getting them to deliver :p Unless you want a holiday!!!
    As for installing a processor. I've no doubt you'd be able to do it. A bit of care and patience is all it takes.
    The Intel CPUs are sturdy buggers while the AMD ones are a bit delicate. The core can be broken on them easily enough.
    What about AMD processors, are they any use?!
    AMD processors are good, stables pieces of work. Their main weakness in comparison with the intel chips is their lower FSB (Front Side Bus) speed. The FSB is used by the processor to talk to the chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and the RAM. That's how I understand it anyway :)
    Fastest intel speed is 800MHz and the fastest AMD speed is 400MHz
    To compare AMDs and intels look at the names.
    AMD convention;
    XP3200+ 2.2GHz
    Intel convention;
    P4 3.2Ghz

Although the AMD has a clock speed of 2.2GHz it's comparable to the the P4. You can see it in the names, XP3200 - P4 3.2GHz
    3200-3.2 ...hmmmm... I smell something fishy!!!

Anyway that's about it :) (only that much!?!?!)
    Questions always welcome :)

Originally posted by Raz

As you've noted the SDRAM won't work in that motherboard I pointed out. DDR RAM only.

I heard that RD RAM is better when you are using a pentium 4. It used the frontside bus ( i have no idea what that is!)

As a matter of intrest, is it possible to put x2 512mb RAM modules in instead?or would this be "too powerful"

What is the difference between RDRAM and DDRRAM?

What sort of specs whould i be looking for in the parts? I've been looking around other sites using the parts you found for me (thanks again) to maybe find it cheaper and its difficult to compare. It would make it easier if i understood what i needed.lol
    Is there a good site that explains the difference in all the componants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I heard that RD RAM is better when you are using a pentium 4. It used the frontside bus ( i have no idea what that is!)

It was before DDR ram came on the scene. Steer well away from it.

As a matter of intrest, is it possible to put x2 512mb RAM modules in instead?or would this be "too powerful
    What is the difference between RDRAM and DDRRAM?

I would say yes, but it would depend on the make of your mainboard. 1 gig ram is not to powerful by anymeans.

RDRAM is much more expensive than DDR Ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How about this spec

354 GBP or 508 euro ex VAT inc Delivery.
    1 x Aopen 16x48 IDE DVD Drive -Retail Box £19.99
    1 x Artec 52x32x52 CD-RW IDE Retail Box £24.74
    1 x Asus A7V8X-X SKT A KT400 8x AGP DDR Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 £40.95
    1 x AMD XP2500+ 333FSB Barton Retail Boxed 512kb L2 Cache Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty £61.32
    1 x Alps Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB 3.5 inch internal - £4.70
    1 x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80gb 7200rpm UDMA133 Hard Drive - OEM £50.01
    2 x Crucial PC2700 256mb DDR CL 2.5 184pin DIMM £49.50
    1 x Ebuyer 56K V.90 Hardware Fax/Modem - Retail Box £5.99
    1 x Coolermaster DAF-S81 Case Fan Sleeve £3.99
    1 x Atlas ATX Tower Case in Blue 4x 5.25 1x 3.5 Front USB Port 4 £15.05
    1 x Sapphire Radeon 9200 128mb Ddr Tvo Dvi Retail £48.24
    Could always get a better graphics card.
    Great deal.

what site(s) is that from?

i'd proabably change the AMD to a pentium (and the motherboard)

Its from EBuyer.
    They are based in Sheffield.
    They are the cheapest retailer in these parts although they do have a 45 euro delivery charge to Ireland.
    Very competitive though.
    www.ebuyer.com

shouldn't i be looking for a 128mb card?

• Advertisement

What website is that from? Note that the price is excluding VAT.
    Would the buyer have to pay the English or Irish VAT rates?
    With Irish rates it's €614. It does include everything though, 80GB HDD, CD/DVD drives, floppy drive, case and a case fan.
    You'd want to find out where they're from though and what time frame you can expect delivery in. You do get some bad stories of folks waiting months for stuff from places like Dabs or Overclockers (I'm not sure of the full web addresses).
    That set up gives a good idea of an AMD setup.

As DDR and RD RAM.
    Basically RD RAM is really fast (1GHz-ish) but isn't very efficient in it's usage. With RD RAM when the computer wants to get to a particular piece of info held in the RAM the signal has to travel all the way through preceeding info in the chip, ie. it's in series. You also can't have free slots with RD RAM. If you get one stick you then would need "dummy" sticks to fill the other slots on the board.

DDR RAM works like SD RAM except it's faster (450MHz so far).
    Techy bit RAM works on a clock signal like this (it's meant to look like a square wave),

.._..._
    _| |_| |_|
    1 2 3 4 5

(please ignore the dots, they're just to get the spacing right. Look at the straight lines)
    It's a clock signal where for second number 1 the signal is at the bottom. Then for second number 2 the signal is at the top then back to the bottom for the third second.
    SD RAM did what ever work it need on the upward part of the clock cycle (the red bit). DDR (double data rate) RAM does it's work on both the upward and downward parts of the clock cycle (both the red and blue bits). So DDR does twice as much as SD in the same amount of time ie. it's twice as fast.
    Let me know if that made any sense :)

Where RD RAM works in series, DDR RAM works in parrallel so if it wants a piece of data it goes straight to it ignoring the rest of the data in the chip, unlike RD RAM.
    So DDR and RD RAM can't be compared by clock speeds, you would need to do benchmark tests with similar spec'ed systems to get a proper picture.
    AFAIK DDR is close to, if not better than, RD RAM at this stage.
    I guess that should answer the RD v DDR question for you :)

As for 2x512MB modules, that is definitely possible. I think the board I mentioned had an upper limit of 4GB of RAM (4x1GB modules :eek:)

Advertisement