Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions in this PC

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

:)

The XP2600+ will give roughly the same performance as a P4 2.6Ghz. For some apps it will perform better(UT immediately springs to mind), for some apps it will be worse. What I would consider the most important test is the speed per euro, which AMD usually wins hands down. I'd go with the 2600+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Ok, i think i have the final choices!
    These options are boardering on too expensive so i have the less expensive options which i can go down to. If the more expensive parts i have listed aren't necessary in comparison to the less expensive item,tell me. (in other words, if the more powerful part is only marginally better but more expensive.tell me!)
    ok (this is all on komplett,cept for the case,also i can probably get the vat so the total will be divided by 21%)

Case
    marx-computers

ATX Midi-Tower with blue lamp

Charcoal Midi Tower with Window and
    blue cathode lamp
    300W power supply (ATX 2.03 P4 ready)
    4x 5.25" external bays
    1x 3.5" external bay
    3x 3.5" internal bays (1x hidden for floppy)
    power cable and screws incl.
    Dimensions: 182 x 420 x 450mm (W x H x L)

Euro 66.00 incl. VAT 21%

RAM

X2
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2
    - 32M*8/8chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

€136,46

CPU

AMD Athlon XP2600+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus
    - Socket A (Thoroughbred) prosessor. OEM

(note OEM. should i/shouldn't i?)

€ 114,82

mobo

Asus A7V8X/GLAN/SATA mainboard Socket A
    - VIAKT400, ATA/133, ATX, USB2.0, 8X, Raid

€137

Graphics

Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    - AGP, "Fireblade E.", DVI, TV-Out, Retail

€202

HD

Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
    - DiamondMax Plus 9
    8mb Cache

€100

ALTOGETHER EQUALS=
    bum bada bummm

roughly €620 (without VAT)

with vat (and i wont be able to afford it all if it is included!)
    €776

all the other extras i will get seperatly!

The alternates are:

The CL 2.5 RAM for €50 each
    Difference: CL2.5 ,not CL2

AMD 2500 only €7 less
    Difference:2500 not 2600. Also is boxed not OEM

Radeon 9600 NON pro €136 (i want a good card so ill probably stick with the pro version (€200), unless its only a bit better.i could overclock the non-pro one)
    Difference:NON-pro not pro

Hardrive €86
    Difference:2mb cache instead of 8mb

again, if there are any changes that are only slightly inferior (which overclocking may achieve ;) )but cheaper please tell me. I want to keep it as cheap as possible.

One last thing for the weekend (im going to wexford!). I, pretty sure that i asked it before i think (sorry, its late) but i wanna be sure: This machine that im aiming at, how long will it be before im going to need to upgrade and what parts will it be. Looking at it, it looks like it will last at least 2 years and as far as ram goes i can just stick in another 256 or 512 when the time comes. I guess that it will be the card that will first get the hack?

<EDIT> i have been looking info graphics cards and have been told that if i get a 9500 card (much cheaper) i can over clock it easily to a 9700 pre level? is this not a great idea? opinion!<edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

ppl always forget the little things :)
    Unless you plan on running your comp only once, you may want to get fan for that cpu.

Komplett also do upgrade bundles too if you haven't already seen them. You get the cpu, fan, ram (slightly slower than the one you were going for, but ram speed isn't hugely important) and mobo together for a bit cheaper than buying them seperately.

dont worry i will get the little things,for the moment thought i hopefully wont be paying for them!;)

I wont forget the fan. Ill have a look at the bundles. They also have their special priced 4 items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Boxed or OEM?

Boxed = Processor + Heatsink + Fan (+ instructions??)
    OEM = Processor

For price savings you have the following choices,
    2500 CPU. Effect Slower rated CPU but newer core design (Barton core as opposed to Thoroughbred) It's only 100MHz in the difference. If you have a Heatsink and Fan then get the 2600 (it's only €7)

RAM with CL 2.5 Effect Most likely negligable at the 400MHz speed. I'd recommend this as a good money saver.

Hard Drive with 2MB Cache Effect Smaller onboard transfer storage space. At ATA 133 it probably won't have much effect either. A good saving. Could drop down to 60GB for even better.

Radeon 9600 Non Pro [Effect] Slower RAM speeds plus slower Graphics Processor. Marginally less features.
    Huge money saver. If the tax break doesn't work then you would want to do this for savings.

The system will last you quite a while. You'll have a minimum of at least 2 years before any upgrades are required. 3 years if you hold out on upgrading. The first parts to be upgraded will probably be your Graphics as you said and after you may want a second hard drive. You'll probably be able to upgrade to an XP 3200+ for a reasonable price at that time aswell.

The system you have outlined will be a good performer even with the price cuts!!

• Advertisement

thanks, if i can get them cheaper than ill prob go all out with the processor and RAM. I'll find out tomorrow. Ill get to order them this week. Yeah the processor is OEM but i can get a hold of a fan and heatsink fairly easy id say.

sorry, i have to ask another question!
    can someone suggest a good Motherboard for P4 around the €100-€120 mark? Still cant decide on a graphics card.
    Iv learnt that a 9500 Radeon OC'd is better than a 9700 and the 9600 Pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Here's a nice one

If you're going to start overclocking things make sure you have decent airflow in your case. put in extra fans if you can. You could try and do a custom modification on the case to fit more in if you wanted. Have a look at the hardware tweaking/modding forum if you're interested. Plus you might get some info there about overclocking aswell.

Advertisement