Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Fiction

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

Your dead right, carragher is crap, couldnt attack to save his life, good defender though but basically finnan is much better.God knows why carrgher ever played for england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

davids bid was in the sun now if it is in the sun its gotta be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

A bid for Davids doesn't make sense to me. He is more likely to unsettle the team than enhance it because of the bagage he brings with him.

For central midfield they already have Lampard, Geremi, Petit and Stanic. They've also been in talks with West Ham about Joe Cole - Liverpool have cooled their interest in Cole so if he decides to leave West Ham, Chelsea are the only interested party at the moment. If they sign Cole then they'll have a nice blend of youth and experience for central midfield.

Should they sign Duff, the one weakness that will remain is up front. JFH can no longer be rellied upon to provide 20+ goals a season and Kluivert is staying with Barcelona unless he wants a divorce. I'm surprised they haven't gone for Smith from Leeds - he may have discipline problems but I'm sure Ranieri could sort him out. And surely he was on Eriksson's shopping list for Abramovich of the best young players in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the sun also had newcastle buying Petit from us today

and chelsea signed George Best for $300,000 too !!
    (btw he wasn't pished at the weekend , i was in the pub where all the hassel was (alledgedly) on sunday and best looked as good as he has in years, the locals said he was drinking water all nite)

cole is a show boat he is all frills no substance petit is always injured gronkjaer cant cross a ball and lampard has this amazing ability to take a shot from anywhere in the park and kick it straight to the goalie

If Chelsea sign Duff then the services of Gronkjaer will no longer be required.

Geremi will be the holding midfielder and Petit will be the backup.

Lampard contributed 6 goals from midfield last season which would compare with any midfielder in the Premiership.

Joe Cole would be a replacement for Zola - playing behind the strikers which is where he'd do the most damage. At Chelsea he'd be surrounded by quality players so he won't have to carry the team - this can only help him to develop as a player.

If the deals come off then Chelsea will be a force in a couple of seasons.

.................... Cudcini

..Johnson....Gallas....Terry....Babayaro

.............Lampard....Geremi.......Duff

.......................Joe.Cole

..........Gudjohnsen....Carlton.Cole

That's not a bad starting line up, the average age of the team would be 23/24. The positions that could do with strengthening are the left back (and quel surprise - Chelsea have been linked with Wayne Bridge of Southampton) and the strikers - Carlton Cole is only 19. Alan Smith or Jermaine Defoe would be my choice for the lead striker.

Chelsea don't need joe cole either and i can't see him leaving west ham til the end of the season tbh , unless they get promoted then i don't see himj leaving for a long time

anyway he is unnecessary to the present squad.

Have to disagree with you mr. bravo , gronks is quality his presence on the pitch pins back the opposition as they need to have 2 back just to cover his wing , ok his crossing has been woeful in the extreme (except when he score form his crosses , or gets a great ccross in when going for a shot) but he'll learn to fix that minor skill shortage and then he'll be the fastest force in football !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

a third bid for Duff has been rejected.

well Glen Johnson has joined and that boy could go a long way.:)

• Advertisement

Viera bid for 20 million wayne bridge for seven millionand unfortunatly it looks like the veron rumours are true

Chelsea's £7M Bridge Deal

Chelsea's £7m Bridge deal
    By Raoul Simons, Evening Standard
    16 July 2003
    Wayne Bridge is set to be a Chelsea player by next week after the club made an improved offer of £7 million for the Southampton defender.

The 22-year-old was today weighing up a move to Stamford Bridge which would see him become Chelsea's second confirmed major signing of the summer.

New owner Roman Abramovich had an initial £6m bid for Bridge rejected last week, but the new offer is believed to be far closer to Southampton's valuation.

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe has admitted Bridge would be allowed to leave if he wants to join Chelsea. He said: "Ultimately, it will be the player who decides if he wants to go."

The deal, however, could be delayed while Southampton manager Gordan Strachan searches for a successor to Bridge.

If a replacement can be found and Bridge agrees terms, Chelsea will be looking to conclude the transfer before Southampton head off on their pre-season tour of Sweden next Tuesday. Bridge will be the second new full-back at Chelsea after they completed the £6m transfer of West Ham's Glen Johnson last night.

The club are also in the hunt for Manchester United's Juan Sebastian Veron as Abramovich bids to build an all-star team capable of challenging for European honours.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Chelsea have enquired about Veron, although he insists the player is happy at Old Trafford. Despite all the speculation, Abramovich has so far concluded a deal for only one new player this summer - Johnson. More will inevitably follow and Johnson has urged the club to make Edgar Davids their next big buy.

Chelsea are thought to have expressed an interest in the £11m-rated midfielder but Juventus claim he is not for sale.

Johnson told Chelsea TV: "Davids is the player I would most like to see join the squad. I have been a big fan of his for years and it would be nice to train with him. He has been my hero." Whether Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri will be coaching the new-look squad remains open to debate, but he today vigorously defended his managerial record.

As speculation continues that Abramovich is hunting a big- name replacement, Ranieri also accused Sven-Goran Eriksson of "naivety" over his meeting with the Russian billionaire.

The Italian held discussions over his future with Abramovich last week and insisted he was the right man to spearhead the Russian revolution at the Bridge.

Speaking from the club's Italian training camp, where they are preparing for Friday's friendly against Lazio, Ranieri said: "The meeting lasted about one hour during which I told him I saw no reason for him to get rid of me.

"I simply told him the truth, that last season people called us no-hopers but we made it to the Champions League and that, like us, he should be proud of that. But I also told the new owner it was already in my plans we should do much better this season."

Ranieri also admitted that Abramovich's arrival - and the millions spent on a newlook team - will mean added pressure to deliver silverware, but the 51- year- o ld is undaunted. He said: "Throughout my career I've had to fight on my feet at clubs where the situations have been tough, really tough.

"But at Chelsea with Mr Abramovich, the expectations are now very different and we have to start winning big trophies very soon before getting to the top of European football.

"I started in football management 15 years ago at the very bottom but now I think we have the chance to go right to the summit. He told me and the players he wants to be the top club in Europe." Abramovich's obvious ambition made last week's meeting with Eriksson at his London club all the more worrying for Ranieri.

The England coach has since claimed it was purely a social gathering but Ranieri believes Eriksson should have been more careful.

He said: "If it is true Sven doesn't have his mind set on this job at Chelsea, as he has claimed, then I am willing to believe him.

"However, that means he was very naive to let himself be photographed so obviously going into Mr Abramovich's house in London."

A fee has finally been agreed for Duff, its up to the player now.:)

there seems to be a lot of people of the opinion (informed or otherwise) that think Duff still won't go to Chelsea because of some attachment to the north of England or Man U

I hope that he's not so daft that he can't see potential future of Chelsea now and the part he could play in it , certainly more glory to behad than Blackburn can offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Duff strikes me as an intelligent footbller who doesnt follow the hype and bull. It may be in the back of his mind that after all this initial spending is over, the Ruskie may become bored with his new toy and decide to stop putting any money into them. What you have then is the whole Leeds situation, where the club has run up massive debts, the players wages are astronomical etc and the club is close to imploding. A lot of Chelsea fans over on 365 are starting to come around to this way of thinking.

hard to see how we could possibly be worse off as a result of having Roman come in and pay off all our £80 million debts , if in a few years he get's bored then we'll at least have cleared the debts and have all the facilities and team needed to continue, he sells up we get a new owner ! big deal

is there is a pessimism thread on 365 ? sounds like jealous gooners who know they have financial ruin ahead of them to me :-)

• Advertisement

Jody Morris to leeds
    makaay to chelsea
    kleberson to utd
    villa lookin at sorenson and mccann

what is the Heralds obsession with Duff going to Utd? and they couldn't even get their facts straight saying he got on the plane.:rolleyes:

Geremi and Johnsen are very astute sgings also I'm getting tired with the press saying how CFC are running the game were Utd ruining the game when they spend 18 on Van Nistelrooy and 24 on Ali G? I honesly believe the press want Utd to win the league by 14 pts every year.

Chelsea have just been given permission to discuss terms with england international wayne bridge where it looks like le saux is going in the othe rdirection another astute acusition or a huge mistake

normally you only let a player go as part of a deal when you can't stump up the cash , as that isn't the case for CFC now I'm at a loss as to why we be going down this route with GLS. He's an excellent crosser of the ball , always has a dig at Leeds players, and is excellent cover for the left .

Don't get it.

I haven't paid much attention to Bridge I must admit so I don't know what he's truly like, made the Engerland squad but so then did Heskey lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They are trying tobuild a spuad with core players that can play a major part of the team for the next 8-10 years. thats why they want Duff and Bridge and thats why they bought Johnson and Geremi, offloading a 34yearold left back for in place of an U21 international with the potential to be a great player is good business, also Southhampton dont ant to let Brigde go and not ab able tp cpver that spot, so GLS would be a sweatener for that.

Bridge is a far better defender than Cole beleive me.:)

BRIDGE, LE SAUX DEALS COMPLETE from Sky Sports

England defender Wayne Bridge has completed his £7m move from Southampton to Chelsea, with Graeme Le Saux moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

The left-back passed a medical at Stamford Bridge on Monday morning, before becoming Chelsea's third signing since Roman Abramovich bought the club earlier this month, joining Glen Johnson and Geremi in west London.

Southampton have filled the void left by Bridge's departure by taking Graeme Le Saux from Chelsea on a two-year contract.

"Following our statement of Friday we can confirm that Wayne Bridge has today signed a contract with Chelsea Football Club," said Saints chairman Rupert Lowe.

"Graeme Le Saux has at the same time signed a two-year contract with our club and will be travelling to Sweden to join the squad later this week.

"We are understandably sad to lose the services of Wayne Bridge but he made it abundantly clear that he saw joining Chelsea as a career progression despite having three years remaining on his contract with Southampton.

"We continue to subscribe to the view that sporting success is achieved by people who want to play together, share a common goal and are committed to the club and their team-mates.

"Graeme Le Saux will bring great ability and experience to our squad and we all look forward to working with him to take the club forward."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gotta agree with Smuckers, the amount of claptrap about Chelsea trying to "buy the league" is ridiculous, whatever they spend it will probably be less than United in recent years, so what does that say?

Duff says he'll join tonight.:)

Well its finally happened welcome Damien Duff and Wayne Bridge, so gutted to see Soxy leave very underestimated.
    I'd like to apologise to all CFC fans though I said above that 2 MF's were done deals I was going on what I was told, I do have egg on my face.
    Claudio has said he wants 2 or more 3 players.
    I'm guessing 2 Cm's and a striker.:)

we have loads of strikers , jimmy , eidur , cole and forsell so I don't see why we need another at this point , need to give jimmy and eidur a chance to perform but another big name signing would ensure carlton cole and forsell never playing , which isn't long term strategic business imho

They're looking to buy a replacement for JFH which is understandable - his agent has been touting him around Europe but nobody is interested.

They need to replace jimmy he is one dimensional and was very poor last year apparently they are trying to offload him in a deal for rouy makaay which wouldnt be bad since he scored 41 goals last year

so he had a bad season it's true, and I'm the forst to call him a lazy b@st@rd as he wanders aimlessly about the pitch or watches balls sail over his head h, but he still scored some amazing goals and will probably continue to do so if given another chance !

• Advertisement

Lads we were brutal the other night against lazio they dominated start to finish we were brutal the only good thing was johnson

Relax Johnny there was hardly any preparation done on top of that we didn't have any experience CB's as Gallas and Dessa on holidays Terry injured.

watford and palace will be much tougher tests !!

and the KL tournament obviously

Very much doubt Duffer and Bridge will play on Fri. Geremi Gallas and Marcel still on holidays.

William Gallas just signed a new deal and now chelsea are being linked with real madrids makelale he is class but he would only come here for the cheque its good to see that we are trying to get a player who will either be in direct competition with petit or replace him

how old is Calude Makelle? according to BBC Duff and Bridge expected to play tomorrow with Terry being the capt. :)

Claude makalele is 30 but they are after the brazilian captain emerson who is only 27 makalele is merely a backup

He wants a midfield champion and hopefully before next Tue not giving any names. :)
    off to watch the game c'mon you bluesssssssssssssssssssssss.

well 4-1 not bad we were poor in the first half but Lmapard was superb, Duff really did well when he came jinking past 2 men to corss for Eidur to head, JFh is looking fitter a 20 yard screamer, Bridge did much better in the second half and Glen Johnson did well, while all this was happening Raul turned us down.

• Advertisement

Well The Veron story is confusing me it seems to be the agent talking and nothing developing, this could be a smokescreen, still havent given up hope of us getting Emerson yet, we have till Aug 31 to get new players in but Aug to 7 to have them registered for qulaifying game, I think there will be 2 or even 3 more coming in.
    a back up goalie as Macho is out possibly Martyn, a holding central mid and possibly a striker.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

why don't they buy sammy eto'o!! he wouldn't be that expensive would he?

15mil think he's the alternative to Vieri.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

oh. kay

what a screamer by Geremi we know who'll be taking the free kicks now, and lovely skill by Forsell to score the first goal, Duff began quiet but cam more and more into it and linked up with Bridge, Geremi did very well beside Frank but I think he's better on the right, we need a CM who can do a defensive job but can also attack and supply a slide rule pass to the forwards
    Johnson gave the ball away a few times but still was solid.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I saw the goals and chealsea looked good but dont forget thats only 1 win over a first division team

• Advertisement

don't care its all about getting fit.

now I'm reading that Kenyon has said that CFC's bid for Veron is under review are Fergie and Kenyon playing games with CFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wonder is it just a cash offer or is there a player exchange involved. UTD were reported to be interested in Terry and Gudjohnson in the past ? If its 15+ m i think fergie will take it.
    I dont think Verons style suits the premiership.

there is no player exchange involved.

Advertisement