Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what spec for playing mp3's

• 08-07-2003 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

what minimum spec board etc. do i need for mp3 playback,i've got a soundblaster live value which is fine for sound ,i'll probably go with athlon for cpu,is 128 mb sdram enough thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i'm guessing your new to the whole mp3 thing.

mp3 is a compression format for sound so any system that can play sound's will be able to play mp3. all mp3 does is convert music from cd quality to mp3 quality. you don't notice the difference unless your a trained mussican who can tell the difference in notes just by listening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Yeah that is very true as long as the mp3 in question is encoded at least 192kb. I've have ripped a cd at 128kb and 192kb and on a pair of quality headphones you can hear slight differences. Cymbals can sound a little flat at 128kb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i can tell the difference between 128 and 256,whats minimum cpu and ram for win 98,the system is gonna be for mp3 playback only through my hi-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

i can play them on a 133 with 32mb ram win 98, barley :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

there is a DOS player that will run on a 486, not sure what bitrate its limited to though

basically, your system is well up to spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a linux box, make yourself a serial-IR mod for the remote control and a decent 16-bit sound card (SB16 would do fine).
    ~P133-166 with 32 megs of ram and a DMA hard drive should be fine. If the drive controller on the motherboard doesn't support DMA drives you can get an add-in PCI one that does. Or just get a cheap Pentium2 base system for cheap somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Not nearly as much fun or as "hardcore"

/me grips his dremel and gives a manly grunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Emboss
    i can play them on a 133 with 32mb ram win 98, barley :)
    i've had absolutely no trouble using winamp 2.8x on a p133 with 40mb ram:)
    a new version of windows media player is a different kettle of fish tho, youd want a p500 with 128mb ram at least for running that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

thanks for al the advice,i'll see if i can pick up an old system cheap

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tman
    i've had absolutely no trouble using winamp 2.8x on a p133 with 40mb ram:)
    a new version of windows media player is a different kettle of fish tho, youd want a p500 with 128mb ram at least for running that...

and that's just for the visualizations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    there is a DOS player that will run on a 486, not sure what bitrate its limited to though

I compiled some code I got from http://www.mpeg.org
    and managed to get it to play in DOS on a 486 dx 66mhz
    with 2mb ram

This appears to be the mininum spec - any slower than that and the sound just broke up.

I was trying to make an mp3 player for the car using junk I had around... I needed the lowest speed to minimise drain on the car battery - (a few years ago).

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think I read in PC Format that you'd need a minimum of around 300Mhz if you want to assure playback 192kbps stuff without staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Pigman II
    I think I read in PC Format that you'd need a minimum of around 300Mhz if you want to assure playback 192kbps stuff without staggering.

It also plays fine on a 166mhz WinCE Pocket PC.

“Roll it back”

Originally posted by Pigman II

That is because windows is taking up 233 of that 300Mhz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Get a linux box, make yourself a serial-IR mod for the remote control and a decent 16-bit sound card (SB16 would do fine).
    ~P133-166 with 32 megs of ram and a DMA hard drive should be fine. If the drive controller on the motherboard doesn't support DMA drives you can get an add-in PCI one that does. Or just get a cheap Pentium2 base system for cheap somewhere.

What the **** are you talking about? He wants to play MP3s not wire himself into the Matrix.

:rolleyes:

.logic.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its JUST MP3 playing, a 64MB 133Mhz P1 with BeOS R4.5 or R5 (the free one) is your best bet...

although I'd say 166Mhz, 64MB for best results

Linux - ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Linux didn't work for you then? Thanks for the info.

*cough* assembly tbh *cough* ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MYOB
    If its JUST MP3 playing, a 64MB 133Mhz P1 with BeOS R4.5 or R5 (the free one) is your best bet...

although I'd say 166Mhz, 64MB for best results

Linux - ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, why do you need 64mb of ram to play a file where you are going to need perhaps 2 megs of ram if you include a 10 second buffer? Will the player and BEOS take up 62 mb of ram?

Originally posted by Gerry
    Also, why do you need 64mb of ram to play a file where you are going to need perhaps 2 megs of ram if you include a 10 second buffer? Will the player and BEOS take up 62 mb of ram?

Well BeOS needs 16MB to run, but will use up to 90 to get optimal speed, e.g. loading the entire OS into RAM. And MediaPlayer will need 2MB to play an MP3

But I was sort-of assuming he wants to use a media player with playlists, etc, and might like a larger buffer

But P133/32MB would be fine in reality

Originally posted by Gerry
    Linux didn't work for you then? Thanks for the info.

Linux does work for me, its the idea of using a UNIX OS with MASSIVE overheads if you use it graphically to play music disturbs me..

Don't get me wrong, I have Linux and use Linux for anything too intensive for BeOS's networking stack to handle, e.g. serving. But its sucks at media, sucks at being graphical..

And it feels like rolling in mud on my old machine (850Mhz), whereas BeOS and even Windows XP FLY on that system.

But its great at what its good at. Just thats not media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

heh, in the napster days i was using a 133 mhz p1 processor, 16 mb of ram and bult in sound blaster 16 sound :).

god i wish i had kept that pc, for nostalgias sake :).

If you are going for an athlon i heartily endorse the 2500 +, 512 mb of ram and a nice nforce 2 motherboard with onboard gfx.

Now there is one sexy budget(ish) machine

Linux does work for me, its the idea of using a UNIX OS with MASSIVE overheads if you use it graphically to play music disturbs me..

Don't get me wrong, I have Linux and use Linux for anything too intensive for BeOS's networking stack to handle, e.g. serving. But its sucks at media, sucks at being graphical..

And it feels like rolling in mud on my old machine (850Mhz), whereas BeOS and even Windows XP FLY on that system.

But its great at what its good at. Just thats not media

Who the christ ever mentioned graphics?

2-4 megs of ram, floppy drive+disk for the loader, libs, kernal and player, hard disk/CDROM/block storage device and you're all set.
    Christ you could make a serial IR reciever to control it remotely if you wanted.

*ahem*
    ad-topright-2.gif

:)

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Who the christ ever mentioned graphics?

2-4 megs of ram, floppy drive+disk for the loader, libs, kernal and player, hard disk/CDROM/block storage device and you're all set.
    Christ you could make a serial IR reciever to control it remotely if you wanted.

*ahem*

umm... I sort of assumed the person who wanted to MP3 wasn't someone into sado-masochism, which is exactly what you need to be into to want to use a CLI version of Linux to play music...

never heard of graphical playlist controllers, etc?

Could very easily run a minimal X desktop on the machine, with a minimalist window manager like fluxbox. I think you have a slightly skewed view of linux MYOB. It shouldn't be sluggish at all on an 850mhz machine, unless its setup badly. My laptop ( 450 w/320mb ) runs kde3 happily, its currently my main desktop machine. Its true that multimedia is still not linux' strong point. However the only real problem is dvd's. Everything else, including divx, and windows format movies plays perfectly with mplayer. You can optimize it for your particular hardware, so it manages to play divx on my laptop at under 40% cpu. Still have to get bloody dvd working.. Is there any dvd support on beos?

umm... I sort of assumed the person who wanted to MP3 wasn't someone into sado-masochism, which is exactly what you need to be into to want to use a CLI version of Linux to play music...

never heard of graphical playlist controllers, etc?

Graphical playlist controllers which eat into cpu power and are not neccessary, just have pre-loaded playlists, and rig your self a serial controller.
    If you need to update/dowhatever, just ssh into your machine or start an X windows session and mess about.
    There's no real need to touch the setup once it's ready.
    Do hi-fi decks have graphical OSes for people to pick out individual tracks? no, because the user is supposed to load them with tracks/CDs they will be listening to and put it on straight through or shuffle
    And besides, in a car, what use is a graphical UI if the box is not meant to be seen? You will after all probably be driving while listenikng to the music. Are you supposed to pull the car over to fiddle about with the playlist - or just hit ">>" on your serial remote mounted discretely on/in the dash?
    Christ, if you did want some sort of graphical display, get a VFD/LCD screen over the serial port. There are plenty of solutions around.

Could very easily run a minimal X desktop on the machine, with a minimalist window manager like fluxbox. I think you have a slightly skewed view of linux MYOB.

We're getting into geek territory here, as well as Sykpaks constant serial IR stuff... if you want an OS to just shove on an old system with no hassles and play music, Linux is NOT the OS to choose.... Windows would do a better job...
    It shouldn't be sluggish at all on an 850mhz machine, unless its setup badly.

Its SuSE 8.1 straight from the CDs, as I am not used to the arcanities of Linux configuration... I'm used to everything being configured from a minimalistic GUI, with a standalone panel per section. Which is why I never touch YaST. In fact, I'll be going back to Lycoris fairly soon if I cannot borrow a linux geek to set SuSE up right for me. Its at an OK speed now I have a 1.7 instead

I use Linux for the 1% of stuff BeOS cannot provide me with - newer games. BeOS's Windows emulation support is embryonic to say the least, and although its open source the code is commented in Japanese, so it's hard to figure out exactly how it works...
    Is there any dvd support on beos?

Yes. Perfect DVD-ROM support out of the box and with the 2.5MB, no configuration BeOS port of VideoLAN Client it will play all DVD's happily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oxidise

You can play them on pretty much anything as long as the machine can play sounds and run an mp3 player, somthing like winamp 2.9 then you are grand.

Advertisement