Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVDSoon Free Shipping Worldwide!

• 08-07-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

DVDSoon are amongst the cheapest retailers for Region 1 DVDs anywhere on the net as far as i can see. They usually put DVDs up for preorder very early at excellent prices, a recent example being the Alien Quadrilogy boxset at $63 Canadian Dollars (€41) which will be closer to the €100 when its released. Its gone up to $93CAD in the past few weeks tho'.

Anyhow, they are offering free standard shipping worldwide at the moment, their prices are really, really cheap (4 Disk Special Edition of LOTR Two Towers is €24! Simpsons Season 3 Boxset is €26!). Only downside is that they charge you as soon as you order not when the item is shipped.

Have a gander here : www.dvdsoon.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

or you could look at www.cd-wow.com.hk and pay in hong kong dollars...

it gives significant savings over the already cheap www.cdwow.ie, and the shipping is still free...and the dvd's are coming from the same company and the same source...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just a tip when you are ordering off them :

If you are preordering make sure you only make one order at a time as they will only ship your whole order when all items are in stock. You can choose partial shipping to get around this but there is an extra charge. No extra charge if you just order one preorder dvd at a time.

Originally posted by bazooka
    or you could look at www.cd-wow.com.hk and pay in hong kong dollars...

it gives significant savings over the already cheap www.cdwow.ie, and the shipping is still free...and the dvd's are coming from the same company and the same source...

As Good as CDWOW are (I think they are probably the best internet shop out there to be honest) their prices and selection of Region 1 DVDs cannot match a lot of DVDSoons stuff. CDWow havent got LOTRTT up for preorder as of yet but their 2 disk version works out at over €20, an extra €4 will get you the 4 disker from DVDSoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Whats the story with custom's charges from these sites ?

DVDSoon mark every item as $12 no matter what the cost. Make sure you dont order more than 3 at a time and you will be below the customs limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey whats the story with the regions?? I know using different regions will effect my dvd player, what about my pc? There is a DVD region killer program - is it nessary or will they just work (region1 etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

It depends on the DVD drive you have the player software that you use I think, but I've used DVD Genie for the past few months now and that's made my desktop DVD drive region free. Give it a shot.

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nice one thanks for that, should do the trick. Think most dvd player programs only let u change the region 4 times or somthing, sorta sucks. Thanks again for the link, LOKI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DVDGenie may not work. You might have to flash the firmware of the drive.
    I had to do that, but now I can use DVD Genie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Makaveli
    DVDGenie may not work. You might have to flash the firmware of the drive.
    I had to do that, but now I can use DVD Genie.

It worked straight off for me (no firmware flashing required), so it's worth trying that first I think. That's why I said in my first mail that it depends on the DVD Drive you're using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I think it depends on how old the drive is. Mont newer drives, about 2 - 3 years old, have firmware locks on them so they have to be flashed. The older drives simply relied on the computer telling it what the region was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Has anyone here then used DVDSoon ? How long does it take to get your order sent over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cheers mbroaders. Ordered Kind Hearts & Coronets (don't have it on DVD & I'm not going to splash out on the Ealing Comedy collection for two movies). Will post back with report of delivery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I've used DVDsoon in the past, they're very quick if the items you order are in stock, I got my first order within a week. However, the second order I placed was for something pretty obscure that they didn't have in stock, they charged me for it but 3 months later they still hadn't despatched it and I had to cancel the order because I was moving.

The free shipping thing is an added bonus.

Your best to go with preorders off them for a couple of reasons. Your guaranteed it will be in stock (and very often shipped before its actual release date). Generally the DVDs are listed cheaper before their release date also.

I have heard similar complaints about people ordering older items that arent in stock and having to wait ages for delivery. For my part my recent orders of the Animatrix (€10) and The Pianist 3 Disk Special Edition (€14) took less than a week to arrive. The Animatrix actually took an amazing 2 days to arrive from Canada.

Advertisement