Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Home won't give me back my files.

Options
  • 08-07-2003 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

XP Home crashed for some reason.

TBH I don't know, its not like I was doing anything. So I set it to run a checkdisk on next boot up.

Boots up, runs the checkdisk and finishes. The machine boots up, runs the checkdisk fine then does not get to the log in screen.

The screen before the login is all I see and it just sits there. There is no way to safe mode, and recover did nothing that I could see that would help.

So I ran XP Home installer again to fix corrupted files (which is a guess what is wrong). Sure enough XP installed fine and I haven't lost anything... except my personal folder.

The folder is there, and so is all the other logins. I can see the other peoples folders but mine (the old one) XP Home will not let me open. It says I do not have rights. I Can't even delete the folder.

So how do I get into this folder? It's the same XP key, and I know the password?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Did you log in as yourself? Are you still classed as an administrator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

You need to log in as the admin in safe mode and try and access it. If that doesn't work, grab a knoppix CD and copy the files to a new folder - linux will ignore the NTFS permission information.

You might need to create a fat32 partition to copy the files to, I'm not sure if knoppix mounts NTFS in read-write mode.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was something about that on one of the fixes on one of the service packs..

If you don't have encryption - and I can think of no reason why you would trust it unless you were backing up to tape daily and even then... then a dos 5 boot disk with NTFSdos will read the files - write access is a little harder

right click on C:\ security take ownership then change permissions perhaps ... (hate XP home)

Advertisement