Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PADI club in Dublin

Options
  • 08-07-2003 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few others our planning on setting up a PADI club. It will be a club in everyway. not a PADI business.
    We simply are choosing PADI over CFT because CFT has gone to the dogs with quality and crappy politics...
    The ideals of the Club will be simply DIVING...
    we will have a minimum age for people to join that are untrained. Something like under 40. IF your over that the only way into the Club is if u have preivous training.
    This is to avoid the old fart problems that are in most CFT clubs.
    Basically they spent half the year training up three people of the 50+ catagory and they can't even swim or but a bottle on their back....

We will be going on many weekends to the not-so-dived spots of Ireland and the world. HOwever, Our base will be dublin and we will do much much diving there also(2 or 3 times a week).

At the moment I'm getting ready to start my PADI Dive Master. And then move on to the other INstructor certs so that I can actually seriously contribute to this club...

WHo is interested?

Simply CLub motto: "We dive for a three letter word FUN"
    What u think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

also... note that some very very prominent divers will be apart of this club. It isn't just some young lad as myself. I'm talking about divers that have been active for 20 years or more and most have been a DO of a club or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Some questions/points which might be of interest to people.
    • How much would the subscription fee be? Ball park figures ...
    • Buying new gear in bulk might get it at a discount. Any ideas on this?
    • Any ideas on where you'll be based in Dublin?
    • Alcoholic beverages ... See point 2.
    • The Sports council of Ireland can and might provide grants.

I'm interested (AOW) and my sister might be interested (DM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Sub fee about €10 at a min. Nothing over 100 for sure.

BUlk Buying deals will be happening when there is a huge membership but there will be bulk buying going on in various colleges and other clubs. We always catch wind of it

Dun Laorghaire more than likely would be our base as we have several boats in the area and possibility of a moaring or two :)

Drinks -- As long as its Guniness

Grants our very very easy to come by.. we have experience there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Dun Laorghaire more than likely would be our base as we have several boats in the area and possibility of a moaring or two

I just have a couple of questions.

You have several boats? What is it like a dive fleet?

Also who's we?

The sub fee, what would that cover. AFAIK in college clubs you pay up at the start of the year and then just split the petrol for the boat on weekends. I think thats much better than turning up to a PADI dive centre and paying 35euro for a 5 minute boat ride and then get dropped on a site which could turn out to be a load of crap. What take would you have on that?

Also, if its a PADI club will you guys be doing any deco diving?

Lastly, i would have no wish, ever, to dive in dublin bay again. I've paid my dues (4/5 dives) and now i'm only really interested in diving the west coast. Would there be some sort of plan to dive the more remote sites around irelands coast? - Byweekly trips/Monthly trips? etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I'm interested, I'm starting my rescue diver in a couple of weeks and hopefully divemaster soon after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Maybe I'm wrong but it's illegal to discriminate based on age, so your 40+ rule can't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The 40+ rule is for untrained divers only so I don't think it counts a discrimination.

Another question: How much is club insurance going to cost or is it more of a collective of private divers than an official organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mackjohn

I'm interested at the moment, will need a bit more info before I put my pen to paper, but ya keep me in touch.

beersmiley.gif "The Voices in my head have stop talking, now they are singing, and one bastard is out of tune." Mack

Advertisement