Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP My Laptop is dying!!

• 08-07-2003 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Can anyone help me?

I have an IBM T22 Laptop, basic specs are a P3 900MHz CPU, 512Mb SDRAM 20GB Travelstar HDD, 8MB Graphics and I'm running XP Pro.

Well the problem I’m having is that every now and again it freezes. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes a few minutes before the task manager appears. It's telling me that the CPU is running at 100% and that rundll32.exe is using most of it. I have to reboot in order for it to work again normally. Sometimes it seems to be a little slower than normal but still accessible.

Any suggestions would be Appreciated...:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Try to defrag and scan disk a few times. reboot between them.

format and restart???? sorry, I know its a ****ty option but it normally works if u have tried everything else.

or u could go back to 98 2nd ed (again, sorry about that one 2) but 2k is going to be no better, infact it uses more resourses than XP pro.

do u have many apps installed??? and what is some of the stuff u have installed???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

There are a few crappy apps that might be causing that. From experience - I installed the nokia suit on my laptop, which is running winXP. When it was installed it was running windows background and was scanning for the phone every couple of seconds, causing 100% cpu usage most of the time.

You problem may be something simular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

search for spyware/adware - some spyware hides behind rundll32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

I've tried scandisk and defrag but to no avail, the last thing i want to do is go back to Win98. Some of the apps i have are Office 2000, Photostudio, AIDA32, Smartcleaner, SiSoft Sandra, Partition Manager, NERO and System Machanic. I don't know how to look behind rundll32.

Today it seems to be running fine, but I'm afraid it going to happen again or get worse

:(
    Thanks everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Yrthilian

ok first things first i have had this problem myself

what you need to do it get the following

windows wiper
    add wear pro

install them and run them
    this will clear up some of the issues
    i have 2 other programs i use i will get the names of em when i get home a post em

when useing thoes 4 program i found my system has been running at leat 4 time faster for me and has so little problem

the reasion for this is when you go to the net there are hidden cookies and b8its and pecies beeing installed on your system that you dont even know about the will use up all the system res on you and you wont be able to tell

once you install the software you will find it will not be a problem again

yrth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Look just run msconfig and untick the crap that should not be there! Problem sorted most likely.. but make sure you get ad-aware or else it will come back pretty soon

I ran msconfig but everything seems fine. Where can i get ad-aware and windows wiper? Smart Cleaner and System Mechanic seems to clean up a lot of stuff but obsolusly not enough.

look msconfig does not work on this as it does not see the hidden crap

to get the programs just goto download.com
    and do a search for it

yrth

aclane Google is your friend... use it...I think LavaLife make it.. anyway as Yrthilian suggests.. www.download.com will get it.

Oh Yrthilian msconfig works fine.. as i said i used it but its short term as they come back after a while.

Spent ages looking for windows wiper and still no joy, but i did download Ad-Aware 6 and Mutilate file wiper and now everything seems to be running smoothly. Ad-Aware found 2 dodgey thingys.

Thanks all for the help. I would be lost without ye..:D

Something to make ye smile...

• Advertisement

Only 2? I ran it a few times on the parents computer and there was about 300 odd each time :D

I ran it again a few times a found a total of 7...:D

another one of thoes prog i use is spywearblaster

it is free and works great

yrth

Thanks Yrthilian, i downloaded Spyware blaster, quite quick, only about 600k..

Cheers

:D

Advertisement