Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear BIOS Password on Dell Lattitude CPi

• 08-07-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I havent stripped it myself yet, but apparently its a bit more invloved then just shorting two lumps of solder or pulling out a battery.

Its looking for an admin password, anyone have experience of reseting this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Had to do one last year, by shorting a chip on the main board. From what I'd written down at the time it was a chip marked 24C02 and the second pair of pins (top and bottom) in from the right had to be shorted while initially powering on the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Resetting the jumpers on the motherboard normally does, if you can boot from floppy you may be able to use a program to do it.

Hope its not stolen!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sure which notebooks it applied to but most around that time have a master PW based on the TAG on the back. - Another range around the time of that one had a nasty problem - if you screwed up the password recovery there was no back door - MB would then be scrap and you are well out of warranty so no comeback.

AFAIK it is based on FLASH memory so messing with batteries probably won't help.

A serious gotcha - so unless you need to don't mess. eg: at home there is a 133MHz lattitude - the user has full access in the BIOS so I ain't messing with the Admin PW (which I don't need)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I got hp to reset my password last week, and I bought it second hand. It was just the admin password for changing bios settings which I had forgotten. Presumably dell will do the same for you, unless the laptop is stolen....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

dell require to you fax proof of purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

thanks for the help guys.

nah, not stolen AFAIK. Dropped into work before I started here, hoping I could sort it out.

Its a PII machine:

Model no: PPX, lattidude Cpi R Series?

Anyone with specific experience of this model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ring 1850 543 543 and talk to Dell. Fax them some details then and they'll give you the master password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

kewl, ill do that so, would prefer to know how but howandever!

Advertisement