Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Beer in Dublin

• 08-07-2003 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this the right place but - maybe consumer issues??
    Av a feelin more feed back here though.

Just saw the thread about the cheapest beer in the town so
    what about the most Pricey?

You know, you get the round in and then the old
    heart skips a beat when he says total, drunkly trying to
    do the maths in a drink sizzeld brain and giving up
    wandering away in a daze with a much lighter wallet

Name and shame time:mad:

I'll start with the 40 foot in DL, E5.00+ (5.50 i think)
    for a pint of larger on a Sunday afternoon.

Scanoulus i tell ya, scandelous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Maybe food/drink would be a more suitable forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

The most I've paid for a pint of lager is €4.70 in Fitzsimmons in Temple Bar and i've paid €5.50 for a large bottle bulmers in Eamon Dorans. Its a complete rip-off made worse by the fact that these are really bad pubs. Im making my mini protest by never setting foot in either of these places again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Rolo Tomasi
    The most I've paid for a pint of lager is €4.70 in Fitzsimmons in Temple Bar and i've paid €5.50 for a large bottle bulmers in Eamon Dorans. Its a complete rip-off made worse by the fact that these are really bad pubs. Im making my mini protest by never setting foot in either of these places again.

i shall join you in your boycott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by TheWolf
    Maybe food/drink would be a more suitable forum?

I concur, thread moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

€5 for a pint in spirit on abbey street, although its a club and its open till 5am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

The 40 foot is a joke - its €5.20 for what they call a pint of "continental", Stella, Erdinger etc. Nearly 5 for Heinekan and Carlsberg. A horrible place, with horrible prices.

Still usually full though - when is everyone going to wise up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

What can you do really besides voteing with your feet
    and staying at home with tinnys? :confused:

That scottish chain of pubs is opening in Dublin soon aint it?

2 Euro a pint I heard but I reckon that dangeous( ly fun)

god 2 Euro a pint

dream dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by Scottish
    Still usually full though - when is everyone going to wise up?

i think people are. i was in blackrock 2 saturdays ago at 9pm. place was like a tuesday night. many pubs half empty seats everywhere.

i think niteclubs have dropped 30 business too. sales fall so what do the idiots do, jack up the price again! fools
    cant wait to see what happens when the smoking ban comes in. who is going to feel sorry for the bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've only been living in Dublin a few months and I got the shock of my life when I gave the barman in the Q Bar a fiver for a pint of bud and I stood there like an idiot expecting non-existant change. Serves me right for going in there with €20 in my wallet, country girl in the big city!! I think I paid around €7 for a pint of Smirnoff Ice, don't know exactly cos that was well into the night. I know Smirnoff Ice is expensive even in the bottles but it's still a savage price for a pint of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Strangely enough the bar upstairs in UGC cinema is cheap enough. I remember ordering a few drinks in there one day and getting about 5 euros more change back than I expected.

I asked how much it was coz I thought she'd given me too much back and it tirned out to be right.

Its cool, coz usually I might go for one drink before a film, but I'd never think to drink in UGC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Pint of Heniken in Lillie's Bordello is €5.90

Named and shamed, plus its a kip anyway full of arseholes with too much money and black clothing

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

€4.50 for a pint of black in the Four Seasons back in December, I'm used to paying €3.20 or €3.40!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Slightly off topic, but.....

Me and a mate were going to the old Virgin cinema on Parnell St, and popped in for a quick pint to Conways (I think thats the name, just up from ciname, on corner opp. hospital).

I was feeling slightly rough from the previous night out, so ordered a pint of diet coke, he got a pint of Carlsberg.

The Carlsberg was 4.40, the coke, wait for it, 5 fecking euro.

Quite a bit for a glass of sugary water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Soft drinks nearly always cost more than larger.
    You get charged for each little bottle they pour into the pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Cafe en Seine.

4.90 Guinness
    5.40 Miller

Cant wait for places to lose money... Though i think theyll all just close down or turn gay than give us decent prices.

Paris, France: 8.00 avg
    Reykjavik, Iceland 12.00 avg both from experience. Bitter experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Well first off one of my friend dads was staying in a Hotel in Hong Kong and he ordered 2 Pints of Gussines and put it on the tab (also apperently they were fabulous pints of G). Fair enough, untill he left the next morning and took a look at the bill......

2 Pints G 32 Quid in sterling!!!!!!!

Well that a one off.

Although once I was in one of the Hotels a few years back and ordered a Pint of G. Get this 7.-fuccking- 50. WTF! I hear you say, but wait it gets better. That was in punts!!! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Strangely enough the bar upstairs in UGC cinema is cheap enough. I remember ordering a few drinks in there one day and getting about 5 euros more change back than I expected.

I asked how much it was coz I thought she'd given me too much back and it tirned out to be right.

Its cool, coz usually I might go for one drink before a film, but I'd never think to drink in UGC.

the place right next to it called 'outbakk' on the corner does pitchers of beer of your choice for €10 (4 pints worth), good pub aswell, with live music on a sunday and a pool table.. happy days

Suffice to say i got hammered last time i was in there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

The beer in outback is dodgy as hell,

I got really badly sick from drinking in there, had 3 pints and felt dire.

I think I got a bad pint then my friend got sick the next weekend.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I paid €4.60 each for a pint of Bulmers and a longneck Miller in Messers Maguires in Dublin the other evening. I know that's not as expensive as some prices that people have already mentioned above but I think it's still a rip-off. It's not even a nightclub!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Fireworks is €4 for the black stuff and 4 Dame Lane is something unnatural like €4.90 :eek: for a pint of the same... €4.90... it just seems freakish that they are allowed charge that much. I know where I'm never drinking again.

On a cheap note.. DenZillies (near the Gingerman on Fenian street i think) do a nice happy hour from 5-7pm.. and all pints are €3!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I forget how much I pay for anything :D Usually I get a receipt with my first pint, and check it then. If it's less than a fiver, I'm going to pay it anyway, if it's more, I'll leave. But I still forget :)

It's quite shocking that 4 years ago, I used to go into town (underage), with somewhere around £20, have 6 pints, a mcdonalds or whatever, and get a bus home, and still have change the next day. Now I take out €50, and keep €4 in a separate pocket for the nightlink in case I spend everything. And quite often, I only arrive home with around €5 (in change), after having about 8 drinks and no food. Sometimes I'll take out an extra €20 and that'll be gone in 30 minutes.

But it's definitely not my imagination that pubs have been getting emptier since Christmas. It is the summer, and quite a few people are away, but I've been in some pubs recently at around 10.30 on a Friday/Saturday night and there's literally only been one group of people in there.

Personally, I have more fun going out now if I spend €10 on four cans of whatever, drink them at home, chatting to my brother/housemate, then go into town and spend another €30 (at a push). And almost everyone I know seems to do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Town is quieter... not so long ago every pub was busy every night of the week.

I was in town during the year for a couple of the european soccer matches, the pubs were busy for the game but as soon as it was over the places emptied out... two years ago I would have been out for the night but not now when nobody else is out.

If less people are drinking though, who's going around kicking people's heads in at 3am in the morning.. eh eh??? or is it just been made more public now??... another day another thread i suppose!

Originally posted by seamus

Personally, I have more fun going out now if I spend €10 on four cans of whatever, drink them at home, chatting to my brother/housemate, then go into town and spend another €30 (at a push). And almost everyone I know seems to do that now.

yep. i would like to be an offy owner nowadays, they seem to be getting cheaper all the time too, good competition between them and supermarkets instead of the cosy little cartels the pubs have. i wonder if publicans will be moaning like taxi drivers when there business and the value of their pubs plummets (but i thought i was onto a winner!, NO, you are a tout who bought from a tout).
    now here is what i can never understand
    10 years ago a can of cheap beer (dorfmeister, royal dutch etc) was £1 (€1.27) and a can of bud/heineken/bulmers/carlsberg was about £1.10-1.20 (€1.35-1.50) and a pint in a pub in town was £2.20-2.50 (€2.80-3.20).
    i always remember going to the pub was almost exactly twice the price of buying drink in the offy.

10 years on and the cheap beers are cheaper and a better taste and range! there are still 1 euro beers now when 10 years back it very rarely went below £1. but the "advertised" beers are now at least €2 up to about €2.50 in some offys. it is not just the pubs ripping us off but the brewerys too, how can a can of our national beer cost more than twice the price of a imported dutch beer which many would class as superior and costs more to produce?

people still have a snobbish approach to cheap beer, it is only cheap since they dont advertise! budweiser is a very cheap beer to produce, they even use rice in it! you are only paying €1.20 more to see a horse running around on the TV, it is watery muck compared to most dutch and german beers. go to a big obriens on a saturday and ask the resident connoisseur which cheap beer is similar to your usual, you will be very surprised.

so a pint in the pub is still twice the price of a can of "advertised" beer but is 4-5 times the cost of the cheap beers. tesco can sell bottles of carlsberg for €1 where the pub will charge €4-5. bottle of vodka in tescos is now €15-20 in a pub it is €80. answer? still go to pubs but smuggle in your own beer, better than a boycott! or else go to the pub already buckled

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Couldn't agree more. Staropramen, czech pils, arguably one of the best in the world, is currently retailing in tesco for €24 for 24 bottles.

Its about €40 for 24 imitation heineken lager cans (if anyone has tasted real heineken in Holland, they will know what I mean), produced in Cork by Murphys. No contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Lads Lassies this is crazy, what in Gods name is happining to my wee country.

I've put some of the prices through xe.com and I'm horrified.

I'll do a wee bit of research here across the water to see what the stir is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by rubadub
    it is not just the pubs ripping us off but the brewerys too, how can a can of our national beer cost more than twice the price of a imported dutch beer which many would class as superior and costs more to produce?
    Part of the problem here is again the pubs (and to an extent the brewery). The only pub I know of that doesn't do the traditional Guinness products is the Porterhouse. As a result of this people won't drink the other beers cause just because they're cheaper they think they're inferior. Now these imported beers are premium beers and of a far better quality than Irish Carlsberg, Heineken or Budweiser etc.

I'm living in Austria and a pint of Guinness is €4.25. That means the keg comes from Amsterdam or England or somewhere and goes back and still 4.25 generates decent profit. The local beers are 70c a can/bottle (with a deposit for the bottle extra) in the supermarket. In pubs it's about 3€ a pint.

Pub licenes should be deregulated and NO compensation paid to those there already. And only allow pubs that are owner managed. That way they will give a sh** when profits are dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I'm over in newcastle at the moment and i'm finding out that pretty much everything is cheaper including beer. Dearest place i have been it has been £3.10 for a bud (they don't really have bud on tap) about €4.40 and all the other english people with me think it is dear. Typical pint in a local is about £2.00-2.25 about €2.80 -€3.20 and we get 24 bottles of stella for £13 in Asda thats about €19. God its gonna kill me to go home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It's not just beer

I got a pint of bulmers at 10.50 in zanzibar for 5euro
    (I got it at time to avoid the 11bells price increase .. but low and the receipt said 11.02pm)

but my friend who doesn't drink bought a pint of coke for 5.2euro (2x2.60)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Also does anyone notice that certain bottles are now 275ml instead of 330

I only noticed this a while ago when I bought a Bacardi brezzer for a friend .. when we were 17(5yrs ago) they were 330

and I'm pretty sure they only changed a while ago

also any kind of alcopops are now 275ml also
    and usually they are more expensive than a pint

2x275ml of Smirnoff Ice = 550ml
    and they cost aroung 11euro!!

I bought a pint of this awhile ago for 6euro

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Scottish
    Couldn't agree more. Staropramen, czech pils, arguably one of the best in the world, is currently retailing in tesco for €24 for 24 bottles.

Its about €40 for 24 imitation heineken lager cans (if anyone has tasted real heineken in Holland, they will know what I mean), produced in Cork by Murphys. No contest.

staropramen is a superb beer, many wouldnt recognise it as a premium beer and so will presume tesco are flogging cheap swill. i got a few crates. it is usually more expensive than heineken etc.

some offys who care will still get in cans and bottles of proper dutch heineken, some even charge less.

in holland i was served a pint bottle of bulmers/magners the barman apologised for the price, it was 4.20! he said it "cost so much" since it was imported from ireland, he couldnt believe a bottle was over 5 euro here

Advertisement