Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Beer in Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by hussey
    It's not just beer

I got a pint of bulmers at 10.50 in zanzibar for 5euro
    (I got it at time to avoid the 11bells price increase .. but low and the receipt said 11.02pm)

Did you complain?
    How does the law work with regard to this upping of prices later in the night. If I remember rightly Vicar St used to up the price at around 9pm!

People are going to have to start talking with their feet when that sort of crap is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the bleeding horse up the price too. i hogans too. in hogans the barman was warning everybody from 10pm on that it would go up at 11 which was better than the ones who just jack the price up and tell nobody.

but is it legal? all pubs have to have a pricelist up by law, so do these have 2 lists??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

i don't really drink them but the price of smirnoff ice and all those alcopops is ridiculous. also, a nagen of vodka from an off licence is cheaper than 2 little shots of watered-down stuff in the pub - it's a crime i tell you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Well, I voted with my feet last night. Instead of my regular Wednesday night €3.90 guinness in Toner's, I opted for the €3 pints in Harry B's.

Unfortunately I ended up having nine. Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by rubadub
    the bleeding horse up the price too. i hogans too. in hogans the barman was warning everybody from 10pm on that it would go up at 11 which was better than the ones who just jack the price up and tell nobody.

but is it legal? all pubs have to have a pricelist up by law, so do these have 2 lists??

As far as I know they do change the lists - but keep an eye on them - if they forget and over-charge you're entitled to some money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

We are the consumers and it's time we made our feelings felt in the only way that publicans will understand. We need to find the places with cheaper pints and give those places our custom. We need to stop going to the Zanzibar's, Q Bars and the other trendy, upwardly mobile bars that charge inflated prices.

For example Oil Can Harry's, amoung others, do a happy hour 5-7 with all pints €3. People should go to these places after work and let it be known that if these places make the customers a good offer that they will get our custom. It is up to us - we truly have the power to make them change.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

I supposed I deserved it for going into a kip like that, but I found myself in Break for the border (before 11 so we didn't have to pay the €10), anyway we only wandered in because it's apparently been done up... and it has...

Upstairs isn't too different, less woody and grungy.. downstairs is really nice... top notch place for a big crowd to get seats and dance... here's the killer though...

2 Jack Daniels... €9.60... Coke... €2.70 so at that price a few of the cheaper cocktails at €6.95 for a black russian seemed a slightly better option... although at some time after 12 that price went upto about €8... (although for that drink they switched the slice of lemon for a couple of cherries!!!!) Anyway the black stuff is €4.60... its been done up but at those prices they'll have their renovation money back in about 2 weeks.... I've seen it once, so I will never feel the need to go back there ever ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

got charged €4.50 for a "mini guiness" in a normal pub. it is a tia maria with a baieys head in a shot glass. my mates were trying to explain the price by saying "but its not just tia maria, its got baileys too" doesnt make sense!
    a normal shot of baileys is 50ml so it should be cheaper than a single shot of tia maria. if i asked for a smithwicks with a guiness head i dont expect to be charged more. the same amount of "barman pouring skill" goes into both so why the charge. we asked the lounge boy who didnt have a clue. it is amazing how little barmen and pub owners know about the drink they sell

Advertisement