Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best dj,s

• 08-07-2003 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I thought this thread was about the best dj,s.
    1) Dave Clarke (techno)(electro)
    2) Miss Kitten (electro)
    3) Scratch perverts (turntabalism)
    4) Sven vath (techno)
    5) Grandmaster flash (hip-hop)
    6) Erick morillo (house)
    7) DJ Darly (all generas )
    8) Francois (irish dj) excuse the spelling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My current favourite DJ's are The Hacker and Miss Kittin.

Is this Donna Lyons btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

sven vath ? yuck, laurent garnier, Carl Cox no one has come anywhere near these two guys for years for mixing or record placement, Francois had probably one good set in his whole life about 8 years ago in the powers court, brutal imo

Dave Clarke he's special :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've only seen francois play once, but that was by far one of the best nights out i've ever had (in o'mallys, galway natch!)
    perfect tune selection & a diamond geezer to boot.
    (hasn't he given up dj'ing tho?)

i say this every time there's one of these threads...
    nick sentience
    superb programming...

dave clarke is pretty good alright, i wish i had enough dosh to go to witness:(

coxy is always a good laugh (playing 'it's like that' at springparty, gwan!)

i've only seen francois play once, but that was by far one of the best nights out i've ever had (in o'mallys, galway natch!)

they must have been really strong :D

that was actually one of my few drug free nights out in o'm's, and pretty much the only memorable one.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tman
    perfect tune selection & a diamond geezer to boot.
    (hasn't he given up dj'ing tho?)

Nah Francois played Bodkins last Friday!
    Richie Hawtin is playing Witnness, one of about....THREE acts i'd actually want to see at sh1tnness.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Nah Francois played Bodkins last Friday!
    Richie Hawtin is playing Witnness, one of about....THREE acts i'd actually want to see at sh1tnness.

People don't actually still pay Francois to play do they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Originally posted by Emboss
    People don't actually still pay Francois to play do they ?

hes the best dj this country has ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭bazza1981

my favourite is oakenfold, but the best 2 ive ever seen are garnier and jeff mills

Originally posted by Helix
    hes the best dj this country has ever had

even if that was true (which it's not) it wouldn't say alot,
    Mark Kavnagh ?

• Advertisement

yeah, kavanagh is easily one of my favourite irish dj's (shut up helix:mad:)
    if i had to pick a favourite night out ever it'd have to be mark kavanagh in the roslevan arms, ennis.
    21-7-00
    a few days before my 18th:)
    and then him playing 'beat dis' at creamfields 01... bliss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I like Lisa Lashes, I was at her performance at creamfield 2002, right good. A load of people could even get into the tent because it was so packed

unfortunately shes technically non existant

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

A few funny rpelies about some peoples dj's here :)

Originally posted by Dempsey
    I like Lisa Lashes, I was at her performance at creamfield 2002, right good. A load of people could even get into the tent because it was so packed

that was to get a look at her OTHER one's and two's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hmmm... you people really dont like grown up music do you?

best irish djs, in no particular order,

naphta
    kenny and keevo
    code
    elmo
    genie & ali
    anthony miller
    earon keyhole
    simon f
    liz meade
    joe mc grath

Simon F and Joe McGrath are very good I agree. How anyone can rate someone like Lisa Lashes is beyond me lol

BTW is that a photo from the July 5th party in your sig?

Originally posted by Emboss
    even if that was true (which it's not) it wouldn't say alot,
    Mark Kavnagh ?

mark kavanagh is absolute dirt

knacker music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Mark Kavanagh is shít.
    Originally posted by [cm]tyranny

best irish djs, in no particular order,

naphta
    kenny and keevo
    code
    elmo
    genie & ali
    anthony miller
    earon keyhole
    simon f
    liz meade
    joe mc grath
    Grown up music, the best Irish DJ's? You must be having a giraffe. Which Bassbin are you? (Or which Bassbin groupie more like?). Don't get me wrong, I like DnB but I wouldn't put any Bassbin DJ in the Irish top10. Joe Mc Grath is the only one I'd rate there.

My top 4 for would be Jeff Mills, Carl Cox, Ritchie Hawton and Dave Clarke. Derrick Carter and Justin Robertson are also good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

old man tranny in the house......

• Advertisement

listen mate, to mix tunes that the likes of naphta and code [who isnt bassbin btw, and neither am i] mix and play out requires a little bit more skill and doing your homework than mixing your typical two indentikit trance/hardhouse/yeahpicotosdeadlysaaawimatdehtemplemaaadouttavet ****e FACT. the fact that the likes of code, who lets face only runs a wee tiny night upstairs from a ****ing lapdancing club in limerick still gets asked to fly over to places like barcelona and london to play....
    the irish drum and bass scene, of which bassbin are by no means the only part, gets way more respect abroad than it does at home, anyway, whats your top ten dj list of djs??? the bloke down the palace with the headset mic? mark kavanagh hahahahahahaha

oh and to the guy who wanted to know the picture in me sig its the june party not last year but the year before [i think....] was definitely june and definitely creation, was the one with the crusty rig in the wee concrete shack [before that got torn down boo hoo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 claudius

favourite dj - all depends on your taste in music, obviously. one individual's caviar is another's custard. i like deep techno, electro, house, electronica, so my favourite (irish) djs are the d1 crew (eamonn doyle, scott logan, etc) and toirse (the guy is unbelievable). international dj - laurent garnier. not just for the music they play, but also for their technical ability. the type of tracks they use are not always the most dj friendly and are not simply dj tools. jeff mills/claude young are great to watch, pure showmanship, but, to me, the music seems to come second.

i have no opinion on the likes of oakenfold, et al and the more commercial end of dance music. they don't come within my frame of reference.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

After being to ILT, I have to say I think Rush is on my top of list of best performaning DJ's, he played a brillant set at ILT. just wouldn't let the crowd down, as for speedy j, hes well up there too.

oh and to the guy who wanted to know the picture in me sig its the june party not last year but the year before [i think....] was definitely june and definitely creation, was the one with the crusty rig in the wee concrete shack [before that got torn down boo hoo]

the donabate one was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I see trance is still alive and well.... 8(
    Anyways my favs,
    1. Technasia
    2. Hellfish
    3. Radioactive Man
    4. DJ Amok
    5. Venetian Snares
    Chose a wide range there going from straight up techno to electro to pounding techno and finally to blistering breakcore, any anything bad be said about these sterling examples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1.Oakenfold
    2.Mick Walsh and???? Brain melt again ,cant think of 2 DJs who used to play Sides years ago, cant think of their DJ names or their team name.
    3.Pressure
    4.Carl Cox
    5.Orde Miekle

These DJs i have actually seen and not just heard tapes.

thk god for edit button ,brain melt should clear up then :)

kdjac

im taking it youre talking about the other pressure, not the really good irish drum and bass dj who runs tings over in holland with the red zone cru in amsterdam....

i'll confess i had a few oakenfold tapes back in 94 and thats what eased me into the idea of electronic music but... i mean to still like him today??? after hes descended ito a parody who basically makes and plays pop for adolescents on their first little pills??? after perfecto went from being a cheesy lable that was all right if you were into your cheddar to being a lable that produces faceless soulless shi te for the djs who play off cds in the high street disco???

carl cox has been crap since F.A.C.T.2. and thats a fact [pun intended]. lowbrow techno.

orde miekle... you are one of those people who thought positive education was an all time classic. i am not. orde miekle is still a great techno dj though.... but since hes scottish i dont think he should be on the list of best irish djs, which is what this thread is about in the first place afaik....

oh and G, its hawtIn. ritchie hawt I n. i know you must really love your techno and your banging four four kickdrums and being able to name six different techno djs is very impressive. and its certainly not an obvious selection to declare you love ritchie hawtin and carl cox, its also certainly not inconsistent, and i dont think youre a sheep who will like anything mixmag tells you to lile at all! no. youre realllly clever, finding all those cool underground djs all by yourself...

as for you claudius... if we're talking d1 rob rowland is also the man, and i feel like a stupid git for not mentioning a single d1 head.... pity about donnacha costello's anal anti club fixation innit?

carl cox has been crap since F.A.C.T.2. and thats a fact [pun intended]. lowbrow techno.
    i've only seen him twice, i wasn't too impressed with him at homelands 00 (the mixing was pretty sweet tho, he'd put a record on the platter & it'd start coming in moments later)
    he was pretty ****ing astounding at springparty last year tho.
    but since hes scottish i dont think he should be on the list of best irish djs, which is what this thread is about in the first place afaik....
    seeing as there's only 1 irish dj named on the first post of this thread, i don't think so.

i'd like to add billy nasty to the fray (mainly to see Tyranny's opinion on him;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Damn not one comment, i need to get into popular music....

Dispite the fact that everything Carl Cox has produced has been muck, he has more skill in his left testicle than any of the DJs you listed. True he sold out a bit in the late 90's but so would I for the money he made doing it.
    best irish djs, which is what this thread is about in the first place afaik.... .
    If you bothered to read the thread title you know what it was about. Not Irish Djs and not underground DJs. And if you don't think any of those I listed aren't worthy I'd love to hear who you'd put in their place.
    being able to name six different techno djs is very impressive. and its certainly not an obvious selection to declare you love ritchie hawtin and carl cox, its also certainly not inconsistent, and i dont think youre a sheep who will like anything mixmag tells you to lile at all! no. youre realllly clever, finding all those cool underground djs all by yourself...
    Hardy har! So Derrick Carter & Justin Robertson are techno DJs? And all this time I thought...

I'd call you a tit but you're doing a grand job there yourself. I'm not going to waste any more time typing for you. You just toddle along to the Metropolitan, God knows they need the numbers ;)

the only time i ever saw billy nasty was years ago with laurent garnier.... i had a wicked time, if thats what you want to know, but i suspect i would have had a wicked time if id been dancing at roadworks or whatever... ;)

the only derrick carter cd i ever had was the mixmag live one he did that was basically disco-ish techno and tech house, so im not going to rise to that one, as for justin robertson, well, its arguable but if he was still as eclectic as he was back in 95 when he released that journeys by dj thing which was absolutely brilliant and went from breaks to house to techno to drum and bass and all the way back via some soul and electro, well then i wouldnt be saying what i did... anyway doesnt he play at bugged out these days??? thats the only cerw i ever see him associated with... mind you he IS responsible for birthing those mediocre oiks the chemical brothers..... vastly inferior to his own lionrock, whose snapshot on pollard street off their instinct for detection debut was a truly classy bit of spooky trip hop / breaks.

cant remember if i mentioned pete heller yet??? saw him playing deep house at the kitchen years ago and it was inspirational... pete heller in a small venue with terry farley handing him handpicked tunes to put on, and hitting him with a stick if he gets too proggy... thats what i call niiiiice.

Originally posted by G
    You just toddle along to the Metropolitan, God knows they need the numbers ;)

Electric City - I presume you're referring to there - is a great club, if it was on a weekend night it'd be packed out IMO, you can't judge a club entirely by how it performs on the doors, they have some great residents and guests.

Course they're not as good as D1 :-)

Originally posted by eth0_
    Electric City - I presume you're referring to there - is a great club, if it was on a weekend night it'd be packed out IMO, you can't judge a club entirely by how it performs on the doors
    I wasn't judging the club, I was talking about the Bassbin Metropolitan gigs, Refuge or whatever they're called now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I seen Carl Cox once that was in the Tivoli in 1991ish (prodigy also played there hehe that was funny place is smaller than a mini)

I thought it was just best DJs in general the ones i posted are the best ones i seen in the flesh.

Still cant think of Mick Walshs buddy or the name of the team :(

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement